Trailer idea opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer idea opinion

I am getting a 14’ lowboy that needs a new floor. I will primarily be using it to haul the jeep to the lease. My idea is to use 18” wide bar grating where the tires of the jeep will be and leave the rest open. Trying to save weight and I have access to the grating. I have a smaller trailer and access to other trailers if needed.

Any reason this is a bad idea?

A couple of the issues I can think of is if you hunt on West Texas caliche roads one day it will rain. The mud and or the dust could be an issue on things you are hauling.

Comment

No problem with it. The small footprint shouldn't really allow much on rainy days and how often does that happen anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
        A couple of the issues I can think of is if you hunt on West Texas caliche roads one day it will rain. The mud and or the dust could be an issue on things you are hauling.
        Good point but I don’t think it would be big issue. I cleaned my BIL’s trailer yesterday after coming home and there wasn’t any on the bottom of the trailer. And we just got a 1” of rain last week, so the normal mud holes had water

Comment

I've seen a lot of trailers that were open in the middle, it's not an issue if you're just hauling vehicles. I did a hybrid set up on mine, C purlins on the outside for the tires and wood in between for cargo.

Comment

If it is a dedicated jeep hauler I don't see any issue with your idea

You could always add more floor if plans change

Comment

My flatbed trailer is 18' long and is all metal. Diamond plate steel for the wheel tread areas and expanded metal down the center. I've had this trailer like this for over 19 yrs and I've never had an issue with mud getting up and onto things. Dust is a different story and you can't get away from dust covering everything, unless it's a fully enclosed trailer.

Go metal on the floor and you'll never have to worry about rotten wood again!

Comment

I would do it. I actually am looking at car hauling trailers specifically like that just because it makes getting under the car on track days way easier than jacking it up, putting it on stands, only to be around 18" off the ground. On a trailer, you have a lot more room to work.

I'd bet it works the same for your Jeep. I say do it.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  I would do it. I actually am looking at car hauling trailers specifically like that just because it makes getting under the car on track days way easier than jacking it up, putting it on stands, only to be around 18" off the ground. On a trailer, you have a lot more room to work.

I'd bet it works the same for your Jeep. I say do it.
                  I actually thought about getting under it if need be as a advantage

Comment

Originally posted by btlowry View Post
                    if it is a dedicated jeep hauler i don't see any issue with your idea

you could always add more floor if plans change

Comment

Working...
                    X