Career Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career Change

I am learning that a title and 20 years of experience in the same field are a double edged sword. The negative edge being that if you want to get out of the field you have been in, it is so very difficult. That's what I've been trying to do for the last year with no success. It almost seems like you have to know someone that will give you a shot at a position, rather than the normal job searching methods. I know some of you struggle with that same thing, and some have been successful at making the change. For those that have been able to start a second career, what advice do you have that would be helpful? My work life has begun to effect the things at home and things I find enjoyable, so those two things tell me it is time to make a change.

I'm facing a similar situation. I want a career change.

Comment

Most of my career changes were forced on me, but when laid off or company closed etc, I looked in a different field. Expect to start at the bottom if something totally new. Of course that means less pay, etc, HOWEVER, if you are really a great employee then the advancement will be quicker than normal. But sometimes, peace at home is some much better than increase in $$$.

Comment

In my opinion factors such as what type of experience, education, certifications, etc plus market demand can impact the ability to transition from career to career
        It’s especially hard if it’s a complete change totally unrelated to your background & education

Comment

I went from building AC coils to taking xrays of people

You can do anything you put your mind to

Comment

Correct, employers are hiring right now, if you have a connection. No one wants to hire a ****, and there are enough people looking for work, that most people have a connection somewhere to exploit.

What are you looking to do?

Comment

I'd be happy to look at your resume and offer any suggestions/proof-reading/editing I can. I've done it for a few other TBH'ers. If you're interested, PM me and I'd be happy to share my email.

Networking sure does help but it's not the end-all-be-all. Maybe you just need a second set of eyes on a resume that I'm sure can be filled with a ton of accomplishments over a 20 year career.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

This right here. Be aggressive and persistent. Seeking Gods will for you and your family should be first and let him give you the path. Good luck sir. Life is to short to be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

Impressive & that was building AC coils on a Friday to taking x-rays on a Monday

Did you work for Carrier?

Comment

Went through this last year. I began to hate the job I had loved for so long and it began to change me and impact my family and health.

The one thing that helped me was creating a career timeline. I started from day one and listed everything I had done, all the different events I experienced, all classes and certs, etc.

Then I went back and listed all the skills, abilities, and knowledge that developed over that time. After I had completed that exercise, I realized I had a lot that could translate across multiple areas. You will be surprised once you see your “life” on paper…

Then I started to search fields that interested me and built resumes specifically for each. If a job came along that I felt was interesting, I applied. The most important lesson I learned was to have confidence in yourself and your skills.

Changing careers is scary, especially at 50+ but I can honestly say it was the right thing to do.

If I can do anything to help, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                      Impressive & that was building AC coils on a Friday to taking x-rays on a Monday

Did you work for Carrier?
                      Not quiet that fast but within a week or two of leaving the plant I was learning how

Yes Carrier, spent 12 years out there. Majority was in the coil shop

No doubt God had a lot to do with me going back to school because a bunch of things have to line up and mesh to be able to quit a full time job with a wife and 2 little kids and spend a semester not working much at all

Comment

Attitude, work ethic and personality go a long way! There are also a lot of skills you have that you probably don’t realize translate to other fields. Narrow down what you want to do and go for it. Just be honest in the interviews that you may not have direct experience but are willing to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Career change...
                          Can be very challenging and concerning. Especially going from one type of career to a totally different one.

You have 20+ years of whatever it is you do, consider yourself an expert, SME.
                          You don't have to love what you do but rather have a passion about it.

Maybe you just need another company to work for? Another manager?
                          A company and manager that cares about you, your development, growth, opportunities.

Everyone has a master plan and a calling.

Whatever you choose...go in it 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                            This right here. Be aggressive and persistent. Seeking Gods will for you and your family should be first and let him give you the path. Good luck sir. Life is to short to be unhappy.

Great advice there, and that’s what I’ve been asking Him for, so I do have faith He will put me in the right spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you considered using an aptitude testing service? (The science behind this process is fascinating.)

I retired from a career I’d been in for 30+ years and sought the feedback services like this provide. Not only did I learn a lot about how my family “inventory” of aptitudes related to each other, but the service went so far as to suggest how this inventory translated into various career choices and, further, assisted in helping me learn how to research the Bureau of Labor and Statistics to help search for fields that would either grow or remain viable in the next 20 or more years.

And before you ask, if the top five fields they recommended I’d be suited for, all but one require a PhD and (probably) a transfer to another state in order to train at top notch facilities and my husband put the big kibosh on that!

Comment

Working...
                              X