Headed to The Gila!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reasonable View Post
    I just spent 9 days in the Gila (16B). I can confirm that there are a boatload of mosquitoes, it is warm enough that you should have a packer in mind (unless you shoot one on a road) and packers are hard to come by. I suspect they will be pretty vocal since they were not last week. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about current conditions on the north side of 16B.

Good luck!
    I do fortunately have a couple packers as possibilities. I'll probably hunt closer to east central side of 16C I think, so not too far from that area

Comment

I just spent 9 days in the Gila (16B). I can confirm that there are a boatload of mosquitoes, it is warm enough that you should have a packer in mind (unless you shoot one on a road) and packers are hard to come by. I suspect they will be pretty vocal since they were not last week. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about current conditions on the north side of 16B.

Good luck!

Did you guys have any luck?

Comment

Hunted the Gila many times in years past. Awesome place to hunt and great elk in most sections - yes I would haul my buggy there - good luck!

Comment

What unit are you hunting? I will be in 16a, im leaving Tuesday morning and hunting 15th-24th.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldawg87 View Post
            Did you guys have any luck?
            Yes - managed to catch up with a nice bull on day 8. I never post, just lurk around...so I either don't know how to, or can't, post pictures.

Comment

Following!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe I'd take the ATV as well. I like the idea of the E-Bike as well.

Tuned in and best of luck to ya.

Comment

A few more thoughts on the area:
                  1 - I'm not sure what the next couple of weeks look like, but it's warm in the day.
                  2 - Winston, NM has a great convenience store with everything you need (including some archery & camping supplies). Very friendly staff.
                  3 - Plenty of people in the area.
                  4 - I saw bears and know there are mountain lions. Neither of those bother me. But the rattlesnake I almost stepped on - that bothered me. Glad they have a buzzer.
                  5 - As mentioned...mosquitoes are bad...but only the last 1.5 hours of the day.
                  6 - They've had a ton of rain the past couple of months (but not much the past couple of weeks). Everything is really green and there's lots of water...so sitting water wasn't terribly productive. Seemed like the elk were using smaller seeps/creeks vs. the tanks they typically would have to hit.
                  7 - In 16C, an ATV and/or e-bike wouldn't hurt at all.
                  8 - It's beautiful country and while there aren't giant elk behind every tree, there are some good ones out there...enjoy your time!

Comment

Good luck!!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                        What unit are you hunting? I will be in 16a, im leaving Tuesday morning and hunting 15th-24th.
                        21A but have a few places along the 16C line I place to spends a good bit of time.

I hunted some private last year in 21B so have a couple spots in mind on the opposite side of the unit also.

Comment

A few more thoughts on the area:
                          1 - I'm not sure what the next couple of weeks look like, but it's warm in the day.
                          2 - Winston, NM has a great convenience store with everything you need (including some archery & camping supplies). Very friendly staff.
                          3 - Plenty of people in the area.
                          4 - I saw bears and know there are mountain lions. Neither of those bother me. But the rattlesnake I almost stepped on - that bothered me. Glad they have a buzzer.
                          5 - As mentioned...mosquitoes are bad...but only the last 1.5 hours of the day.
                          6 - They've had a ton of rain the past couple of months (but not much the past couple of weeks). Everything is really green and there's lots of water...so sitting water wasn't terribly productive. Seemed like the elk were using smaller seeps/creeks vs. the tanks they typically would have to hit.
                          7 - In 16C, an ATV and/or e-bike wouldn't hurt at all.
                          8 - It's beautiful country and while there aren't giant elk behind every tree, there are some good ones out there...enjoy your time!

I hunted with the guy that owns the Winston Store last year, great folks!. I have a cabin right behind the store rented out as the home base and will spike out also, if it works out.

Comment

Good luck and safe travels.

Comment

Good luck Brannon.

Comment

Leaving in the AM! Should get an extra day to scout now

Comment

Working...
                                X