Chicken Plucker-Want to Rent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Plucker-Want to Rent

Does anyone in the Houston area have one?

I got 11 chickens to slaughter next month.

I don't really want to buy one.

DIY:

Make a Chicken/duck/bird Plucker: Get a piece of drainage pipe 4 inches diammeter (100)mm and make two timber ends for it about 3/4 invh thick . Put the ends in the tube and glue and screw one end in and just screw the other end at this time . Now drill a hole exactly in the center …

Comment

Ross Perot shamed all of the Chicken Pluckers out of business. You older guys should catch that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        Ross Perot shamed all of the Chicken Pluckers out of business. You older guys should catch that.
        over my head

Comment

In 1992 Ross Perot was campaigning for President. He would have self paid commercials on tv and he loved hand made charts. One night in one of his adds he showed the income level of a chicken plucker which was low and stated that his opponent because of policies would have all Americans plucking chickens for a living.

Comment

DIY: Large pot (turkey fryer pot) fill up with fresh water and get to a boil, shut off fire. Kill checken, let it bleed, dip chicken in the pot holding by their feet. Swish around just a little, pull out, let cool a couple of minuites and the fethers are easy picking. The object is to just heat up the skin and not the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
              DIY: Large pot (turkey fryer pot) fill up with fresh water and get to a boil, shut off fire. Kill checken, let it bleed, dip chicken in the pot holding by their feet. Swish around just a little, pull out, let cool a couple of minuites and the fethers are easy picking. The object is to just heat up the skin and not the meat.
              This is what we typically do.

Comment

Isn't there pluckers that fit on drills marketed to duck hunters?

Comment

Load them up and take them Lilja Farms in Aldine. Last time i was there he did them for $3 each. Way better then dealing with the time and mess.

Comment

I'll do it. Oh wait I miss read your thread you said pluckers.

Comment

Years ago, my aunt and uncle got into raising chickens and slaughtering them, my aunt said they used an old washing machine, threw the chickens in the washing machine, and turned it on. She said it worked very well.

Comment

The key to success is in the scald not the plucker. Using a cast iron cauldron versus an aluminum pot seems to hold water temp better for a quicker series of good scalds. An aluminum turkey fryer will do just fine though.
                        Our Whizbang Deplucker is fun to watch. Ive got to cut big cocks heads and feet off otherwise they get jammed between the spinner and sidewall. Some plucking of pintails is always needed.

Holler at me if youre toting around some dead chickens north of Austin.

A good scald at 155F, nitrile coated gloves and the feathers shuck nicely.
                        Good luck Moses.

Comment

I use a drill bit plucker for quail. I bet it would be OK for 11 chickens. Look up Ukraine Drill Bit Plucker on amazon.

Comment

Our kids raise birds for the Galveston County Fair Show. We have taken them to Hamza Farms in Manvel. He’ll have you in and out in less than 30 minutes for like $4/bird, bagged and on ice. You bring the cooler and he supplies the bags and ice. Unless you’re wanting that punishment in this heat, I’d highly recommend letting him or someone else do that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Aric View Post
                              Our kids raise birds for the Galveston County Fair Show. We have taken them to Hamza Farms in Manvel. He’ll have you in and out in less than 30 minutes for like $4/bird, bagged and on ice. You bring the cooler and he supplies the bags and ice. Unless you’re wanting that punishment in this heat, I’d highly recommend letting him or someone else do that for you.
                              That sounds like a better idea. July is going to be miserable.

Comment

Working...
                              X