Security systems, looking for one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In light of recent events, it has come to my attention I may need a security system. Tell me what ya know from simple cell camera setups to a full on survaillence type. Not my field of expertise.

Go!

We have the ring doorbell and ring flood light system. Very simple to use and work well. We also have Lorex home security cameras that are simple to install and use as well. Can access all we have by cell phone.

Comment

All my neighbors have Simply Safe, they swear it’s the best….

Comment

I did a bunch of research a couple of months ago for my in-laws. Went with SimpliSafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ok, thanx

Comment

We have 3 blink cameras and they work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have vector at the moment and it's great, that said when my contract expires I'll be going with simplysafe

Comment

I’ve heard good things about simply safe for a full system. We just use the blink outdoor cameras and have been pleased. You can catch them on sale for a good deal. They also sell a system at Costco (can’t remember name) that’s supposed to be really good if you happen to be a member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are using Arlo and very pleased with the system. Access to all cameras 24/7/365 via cell phone. Video goes directly to the cloud and is saved there for 7 days I believe. Have 2 outside and 1 indoors monitoring everything we believe is valuable.

Comment

Great info, thanx

Comment

Question for the group. With your system are you doing your own monitoring of using a security monitoring group?

TIA, Mike

Comment

Good info, thanks for the question O.P.

Comment

I have been playing around with a couple of wyze cams and some of their automated plugs. I am pleasantly surprised with what you are able to do with these for the price. Getting some light sockets soon to add to the “system’”. Both the plugs and the light sockets can be set on timers and or be activated by the cameras. Cameras can be accessed via a phone.

Comment

Go online buy a DSC 1832 panel board and some wireless or wired contacts for how many doors or windows you need. They also have motion and smoke detectors and garage door contacts.

For the keypad they have all kinds including touch screen.

Then get an envisalink evl for self monitoring and remote control.

There are also options for adding cameras if you want.

This will be cheaper for whole house and better quality than the alarm in a box kits. (dsc and Honeywell is what is used by commercial fire and security alarm installers)

The alarm in a box kits also phone home (contact their own server) a lot.

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to wire it and program the panel via keypad.
                            Last edited by TxKronik; 01-08-2022, 09:31 PM.

Comment

For full time systems: If you get a hardwired system, get the biggest hard drive you can afford for all the cams. It's also better to have more channels than you think you need. Channels allow you to plug in more cams. Tie your hard drive into your wifi and into a cloud. That way, if the hard drive is stolen, the data will be in the cloud, kinda a double checkmate system, or back-up. The wifi will also allow you to access it from any device, including your cell with a system's app. A larger hard drive allows for you to go back in time and look at things that you may have not noticed right away. I've got more than 30 days of back-up on just the hard drive before my system starts to over write it's self. The thing about wireless is: the cams need power to operate. They can be pluged into a local socket. Or run on batteries. If batteries, sooner or later, your going to be away from home when they need changing. And you may lose cam vision when they do. Or put it off and just when you needed it.

If your power goes out, so will the system unless you have a back-up generator to power everything, including your wifi. If you loose electrical power, land-lines will still carry a tone for phone service. I have one. So wifi still allows function of the system remotely as long as the generators are running to power it.

Cams are like game cameras, the more pixels the more definition of the pics. They can allow you to zoom in on targets to get a better view. But, the more cams, the more data that has to be written on the hard drive. That's why it's important to get the largest you can.

As to a security company, I've got a cam set up on a family member's home. They also have a paid security service that monitor's doors and windows if one is opened. That system also triggers an alarm to hopfully scare the intruder till the cops can get there.

As to camera placement, I like to try to set them up so there are two different angles of coverage in a target zone. Example: face one going up the street and cover the yard. The other going down the street and cover the yard. They both cross the yard. I also like to try to have one camera cover another in case someone tries to deactivate a cam. That can be done by "zoning" where they have to cross a zone as well. They get photographed either way.

Hope that helps.
                              Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-08-2022, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X