No announcement yet.

A New Action from APR - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to Legendary Arms Works with this action? They made some fine looking guns but a bunch wouldn't shoot accurately. Did they use crappy barrels? Ed Brown had a great reputation. Has the Winchester style safety been done away with?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
      Not on the first run.......but they ARE in the works and NOT far behind
      *Tear* Us poor left out lefties.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
        *Tear* Us poor left out lefties.
        Nooooo!!! Not this time Mitch. You didn't get left out, I promise Your stuff is just more complicated, so it's taking a little longer

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention that is kind of cool about these actions, is that we will have custom sized cocking pieces(how long will that go unnoticed) available that will let you time to your individual trigger at home without having to file or machine anything. I figure a lot of folks will be doing the home build thing with these.

I threw together a kind of simulated home build this morning just for grins. I used a McGowan Savage pre-fit barrel, KRG Bravo Chassis and Trigger Tech Diamond trigger and it turned out awesome. And other than a $30 action wrench and a $15 barrel nut, its something that just about anyone can do at home with common tools in about 30 minutes. I think this will open up some opportunities for guys to do there own thing.

Comment

Could you post a better pic of how much of the lug is cut for the extractor? Any concerns with having uneven lug pressure?

I've been looking for an action to build another for fun LR setup. How do you feel these compare to the other custom actions? I'm particularly interested in timing and bolt lift effort.

Comment

Here's the "home build" I mentioned. It is on a Bighorn, but the same methods and tooling are required.

On a different note, the Arca rail attachment for the Bravo chassis rocks....

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                Could you post a better pic of how much of the lug is cut for the extractor? Any concerns with having uneven lug pressure?

I've been looking for an action to build another for fun LR setup. How do you feel these compare to the other custom actions? I'm particularly interested in timing and bolt lift effort.

Front of lug is relieved for extractor. Not really concerned with uneven lug pressure as the load is placed on the back of the lugs, where the surfaces are square to the lug seats. It is a time proven design from a strength standpoint, and if anything is actually stronger now with the material added to the opposing lug. Its a 90 degree setup, so bolt lift is pretty light and smooth already. The DLC just adds lubricity to that characteristic. Overall tolerances are significantly tighter than a Remington, and about as tight as you would want to go on an action seeing field use.

Comment

Thanks for the pic. I can see now that the lug is longer than a normal 700 and flexing of the cut lug shouldn't be a concern. I've done a few home builds myself and have a understanding of how a bolt action works. What I'm looking for is a action that is less likely to upset the bag when cycling. When you get a chance, would you mind using a trigger scale and seeing how much force it takes to lift the bolt with the firing pin dropped?

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    What happened to Legendary Arms Works with this action? They made some fine looking guns but a bunch wouldn't shoot accurately. Did they use crappy barrels? Ed Brown had a great reputation. Has the Winchester style safety been done away with?
                    I remember that time frame, and the reported accuracy issues that were popping up. Seems like bedding was a common fix/complaint. I can't say if the action itself played a role or not. I will say, and stated on here before when we launched the Hunter version, that the original action I evaluated was made to the specs as requested by them. It was not one that I would have run based on that evaluation. We worked with the actual manufacturer and re-spec'd the areas of concern and now it will compare favorably with most others out there. One of the areas was the 3 position safety you mention. There were several reasons we pulled away from it. They may still indeed make it for other models, but we did not want it on ours.

Comment

It looks like the action is threaded for Savage large shank. Is that true? Will a small shank one be offered?

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
                        It looks like the action is threaded for Savage large shank. Is that true? Will a small shank one be offered?
                        Sorry, it looks like 1 1/6-20 is small shank according to https://www.americanrifle.com/produc...d-bolt-action/

the midway description reads like 1 1/16-20 is large shank.

Comment

It’s small shank

Comment

I got one ordered up the other day. This is my first dance with a higher end action and I'm really looking forward to firing up the music!!

Comment

If anybody questions this build, action, anything, should probably build a full specked out custom for $5,000.

This rifle will ROCK as it is built. Robert aint selling no crap here. His name is on it..you can expect a shootin SOB !!!

Comment

Nice work on the collaborative effort on this action Robert!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X