Lake Dunlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
    Be surprised if repaired in the next 5 years. Lake Wood in Gonzales has been getting the run around for about that long. At least Lake front property value will be lowered
    When they figure in how much they stand to lose in property taxes we re appraised next year. On top of the that the water issue I am starting to think there will be fix sooner than later. I think they stand to lose more in taxes and water sales or enough anyway to get a solution sooner than later.

Way more people effected here than in Gonzales unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
      When they figure in how much they stand to lose in property taxes we re appraised next year. On top of the that the water issue I am starting to think there will be fix sooner than later. I think they stand to lose more in taxes and water sales or enough anyway to get a solution sooner than later.

Way more people effected here than in Gonzales unfortunately.

You can’t just build a dam. It has to be planned, engineered, designed and built. Government agency in charge of it all. Not to mention all that money has to come from somewhere.

Comment

Vidoe footage from a newscast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          You can’t just build a dam. It has to be planned, engineered, designed and built. Government agency in charge of it all. Not to mention all that money has to come from somewhere.
          Oh I hear ya not saying it will get done this year, but I am saying with that much revenue being lost it will happen faster than people are thinking.

Comment

Oh I hear ya not saying it will get done this year, but I am saying with that much revenue being lost it will happen faster than people are thinking.
            The spokeswoman for the GBRA said whatever will happen, is going to take years. I’d bet money there is still no dam there in 3 years.

Comment

When the Austin Dam broke in 1900, it took them 40 years to figure out a better solution. The old dam was made with the same granite used to build the Capitol.

Comment

Not happening any time soon. It is not that much revenue vs what it cost to rebuild it. The taxes wont be that far off. They will be considered river front now vs lakefront. I think you will be surprised how much this will cost to engineer and construct. Now if Kyle/Buda do not have another water source that might push it along a little faster but outside of that it will be a slow process.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                  Not happening any time soon. It is not that much revenue vs what it cost to rebuild it. The taxes wont be that far off. They will be considered river front now vs lakefront. I think you will be surprised how much this will cost to engineer and construct. Now if Kyle/Buda do not have another water source that might push it along a little faster but outside of that it will be a slow process.

I read Kyle had two other main sources of water. Dunlap was like back up or used very little.

Comment

I read Kyle had two other main sources of water. Dunlap was like back up or used very little.
                    Then there is zero urgency.

Comment

Notes I saw posted from GBRA meeting. (not mine - Long post...)

The video that was posted of the meeting the GBRA had with Guadalupe County Commissioners Court last month is very enlightening. For those that want the cliffnotes version, here's what I believe answers some of the biggest questions. But, someone else who listened to the whole thing like it I did, please feel free to set me straight if I misunderstood:

1 - How did they not see this coming? > They were completely well aware that the dams were old and in need of being replaced. In fact, they had already been working on obtaining engineering reports/estimates to replace the entire chain of dams.

2 - What exactly happened? > [This was not addressed as Dunlap obviously hadn't failed at the time of the meeting, but here's a summation of a likely culprit] The inside of the dams look like a skeleton made of steel. Most likely, some of the skeleton gave way which weakened the structure. Once the right piece(s) of the skeleton were compromised the structure could no longer hold its shape/placement.

3 - What would it cost to fix? > The engineering reports they've been gathering regarding replacing the entire chain of dams is not yet complete but has already gone from 5 - 15 (ish) million to potentially, 20+ million per dam. Obviously, each dam will cost a little different so take that into consideration as well.

4 - Why don't they have the money to fix it? > The GBRA does not generate enough income to cover their costs, plus ongoing maintenance, and then also set aside money for a rainy day. The money they do obtain after paying for all of their costs is still not enough to make payments on a loan the size of what would be required to replace the dams. Think of it this way, even if they were able to somehow set aside 1 million dollars per year, it would take 20 years of those savings just to (potentially) replace one dam.

5 - Why don't they use money the dams generate in providing electricity? > The GBRA has not profited from the sale of electricity since 2011 (estimated). The cost of repairs and maintenance to the dams and associated energy systems, plus personnel, has been greater than the income from the sale of electricity. They earn much more on the sale of water, but it's still not enough to pay for dam replacements.

6 - In a perfect world, how long would it take to replace the dam at Dunlap with a modern design? > If they had the funding, and the weather cooperated, a minimum of 26 months.

7 - What about flood control? > The GBRA does not consider the dams below Canyon Lake to be flood control dams due to liability purposes. Do they help during a flood? Absolutely. But, that's not the purpose that the GBRA can outwardly advertise.

Summary - The GBRA is looking for an entity to partner with to help tackle the issue of replacing the entire chain of dams. They do not have the revenue to afford this on their own and they have determined that there is no state/fed assistance available at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post

The video that was posted of the meeting the GBRA had with Guadalupe County Commissioners Court last month is very enlightening. For those that want the cliffnotes version, here's what I believe answers some of the biggest questions. But, someone else who listened to the whole thing like it I did, please feel free to set me straight if I misunderstood:

1 - How did they not see this coming? > They were completely well aware that the dams were old and in need of being replaced. In fact, they had already been working on obtaining engineering reports/estimates to replace the entire chain of dams.

2 - What exactly happened? > [This was not addressed as Dunlap obviously hadn't failed at the time of the meeting, but here's a summation of a likely culprit] The inside of the dams look like a skeleton made of steel. Most likely, some of the skeleton gave way which weakened the structure. Once the right piece(s) of the skeleton were compromised the structure could no longer hold its shape/placement.

3 - What would it cost to fix? > The engineering reports they've been gathering regarding replacing the entire chain of dams is not yet complete but has already gone from 5 - 15 (ish) million to potentially, 20+ million per dam. Obviously, each dam will cost a little different so take that into consideration as well.

4 - Why don't they have the money to fix it? > The GBRA does not generate enough income to cover their costs, plus ongoing maintenance, and then also set aside money for a rainy day. The money they do obtain after paying for all of their costs is still not enough to make payments on a loan the size of what would be required to replace the dams. Think of it this way, even if they were able to somehow set aside 1 million dollars per year, it would take 20 years of those savings just to (potentially) replace one dam.

5 - Why don't they use money the dams generate in providing electricity? > The GBRA has not profited from the sale of electricity since 2011 (estimated). The cost of repairs and maintenance to the dams and associated energy systems, plus personnel, has been greater than the income from the sale of electricity. They earn much more on the sale of water, but it's still not enough to pay for dam replacements.

6 - In a perfect world, how long would it take to replace the dam at Dunlap with a modern design? > If they had the funding, and the weather cooperated, a minimum of 26 months.

7 - What about flood control? > The GBRA does not consider the dams below Canyon Lake to be flood control dams due to liability purposes. Do they help during a flood? Absolutely. But, that's not the purpose that the GBRA can outwardly advertise.

Summary - The GBRA is looking for an entity to partner with to help tackle the issue of replacing the entire chain of dams. They do not have the revenue to afford this on their own and they have determined that there is no state/fed assistance available at this time.

Wouldn't surprise me if the LCRA doesn't take over or partner

Comment

How can they expect someone to partner with them if there is no money to be made?

Comment

If anyone’s looking for a nice home in New Braunfels, mines about to hit the market. Custom home on .54 acres. ~2700 sq ft.

NOT on the lake but does have lake/river access

[emoji4]

Comment

This is terrible,

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post

About what I expected. Sad for many of those who own homes on that lake. My guess is there will be no more lake dunlap.

Comment

Working...
                                X