Roundup (glyphosate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
    Lots of farmers here. If you you gentlemen are so passionate and confident in all of these alternative methods you should head down to the bank, borrow a small fortune, and get an operation going. Farming is easy with all of the government assistance.
    Yea my uncle farmed for 60 years.. He passed 2 weeks ago at the age of 80.. His liver, kidneys, lungs and brain were in horrible shape.. Doc says chemical exposure was the cause..
    He was never rich...

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      Yea my uncle farmed for 60 years.. He passed 2 weeks ago at the age of 80.. His liver, kidneys, lungs and brain were in horrible shape.. Doc says chemical exposure was the cause..
      He was never rich...
      Sorry for your loss, things were done a lot different 60 years ago. Safety was not always a priority. That is a choice every grower must make every day.

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
        easy fix, those that want more expensive food can buy certified organic, the option is already there it's called free choice.
        The issue is that things are being labeled safe that aren't. So when a consumer has to make that decision about whether or not to buy organic, or a product that was roundup ready or not, they are not making an informed decision.
        Last edited by Longue Carabine; 12-27-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
          Monsanto would like you to believe this.

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          First, a lot more people died of starvation. Gmo's have saved millions of people. Norman Borlaug is credited with literally saving a billion lives. With a b. Because of gmo's. Second, people keep having babies. The population has grown nearly exponentially over the last 50 years. It's not stopping. If you think 50's agriculture can support that, pull your head out of the sand. Going back to 50 bushel corn isn't going to help anyone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Longue Carabine;13885013]The issue is that things are being labeled safe that aren't. So when a consumer has to make that decision about whether or not to buy organic, or a product that was roundup ready or not, they are not making an informed

Sounds as if there is a labeling problem. Maybe thats your answer.........more government control over labels.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
              Who said the weeds were “bad”, there’s a bunch out there that will compete with alfalfa on protein content and palatability plus you don’t have buy seed and can cut more often.
              That's a good one. I can sell it as "some of theses weeds are better than alfalfa, just ignore the sand burrs and noxius weeds in these bales".........or maybe there's a herbicide that will selectively kill the bad weeds and keep the better than alfalfa ones.........wait, back where we started

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                Oh Heck, I have one more point as I wait for my wife.

No till farming along with the practices mentioned above actually sequester carbon into the soil from the air. This increases soil productivity and reduces the greenhouse effect simultaneously. Win/win and a bit more palatable than everyone selling their car and walking to work.

Whereas tillage releases carbon into the atmosphere and is one of the largest contributors of green house gases [ carbon ]. You can actually see the carbon plume thru specialized photography in the spring when farmers begin tillage.

Question? Have we really learned the lessons from the dust bowl days when dust from Kansas engulfed Washington DC? All caused fro excess tillage which destroys soil biota and all the perils that come from that.

Healthier soil, stronger more nutrient dense plants, less requirement for herbicides, less and pesticides less ag water runoff[ said differently better water absorption thus less irrigation and less pollution ] ....

Apologies...I'm prone to preaching
                So what are you using for weed control on a no till operation?

Oh yeah... herbicide

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
                  First, a lot more people died of starvation. Gmo's have saved millions of people. Norman Borlaug is credited with literally saving a billion lives. With a b. Because of gmo's. Second, people keep having babies. The population has grown nearly exponentially over the last 50 years. It's not stopping. If you think 50's agriculture can support that, pull your head out of the sand. Going back to 50 bushel corn isn't going to help anyone.

Borlaug was often called "the father of the Green Revolution",[5][6] and is credited with saving over a billion people worldwide from starvation.[7][8][9][10] According to Jan Douglas, executive assistant to the president of the World Food Prize Foundation, the source of this number is Gregg Easterbrook's 1997 article "Forgotten Benefactor of Humanity." The article states that the "form of agriculture that Borlaug preaches may have prevented a billion deaths."[11] He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply.

Later in his life, he helped apply these methods of increasing food production in Asia and Africa.[12]

But did it end starvation? Nope, those billion people had a few more billion babies. Now what, they still starving and now migrating here to deplete our resources. We dont need to save the world. We need to save our self's.

I have no desire to destroy our ecosystem so some people in another country can keep breeding like rats and then flooding our country because of war, poverty, starvation...

let natural selection happen. If you out breed the resources the land can provide something has to give. Or do we just keep destroying our ecosystem with no limits.

It is not hard to grow a garden for your family. Hell we typically have enough veggies we end up giving a lot away. It does not even require a tractor or a lot of space.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                    Borlaug was often called "the father of the Green Revolution",[5][6] and is credited with saving over a billion people worldwide from starvation.[7][8][9][10] According to Jan Douglas, executive assistant to the president of the World Food Prize Foundation, the source of this number is Gregg Easterbrook's 1997 article "Forgotten Benefactor of Humanity." The article states that the "form of agriculture that Borlaug preaches may have prevented a billion deaths."[11] He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply.

Later in his life, he helped apply these methods of increasing food production in Asia and Africa.[12]

But did it end starvation? Nope, those billion people had a few more billion babies. Now what, they still starving and now migrating here to deplete our resources. We dont need to save the world. We need to save our self's.

I have no desire to destroy our ecosystem so some people in another country can keep breeding like rats and then flooding our country because of war, poverty, starvation...

let natural selection happen. If you out breed the resources the land can provide something has to give. Or do we just keep destroying our ecosystem with no limits.

It is not hard to grow a garden for your family. Hell we typically have enough veggies we end up giving a lot away. It does not even require a tractor or a lot of space.
                    We are using natural selection. The people that can use these products on label with proper ppe live. The idiots that can't get cancer and die.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      What do y'all recommend using to clear about 3 acres of grass/hay/brush for making it into a food plot?
                      Roundup then till. lol

Comment

Yep crazy how/where people think food really comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                          Yep crazy how/where people think food really comes from.
                          They have no concept of scale. They think since they can grow a garden that grows more veges then they eat that everyone can. There is basically one acre of farm land per person in the US. Just drop them on their acre, give them a hoe, and get to it. Sounds good to me. Screw all the other jobs they do, we don't need them.

Comment

They have no concept of scale. They think since they can grow a garden that grows more veges then they eat that everyone can. There is basically one acre of farm land per person in the US. Just drop them on their acre, give them a hoe, and get to it. Sounds good to me. Screw all the other jobs they do, we don't need them.

It is mind boggling to think people made it so long with out "modern tech" to provide enough food.

At the same time we are so fat we have to have surgery now to make our stomach smaller so we dont eat as much.

More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight.
                            More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to have obesity.
                            More than 2 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight or have obesity.
                            About 1 in 13 adults were considered to have extreme obesity.
                            About 1 in 6 children and adolescents ages 2 to 19 were considered to have obesity.

Do we need more food, or better food?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                              It is mind boggling to think people made it so long with out "modern tech" to provide enough food.

At the same time we are so fat we have to have surgery now to make our stomach smaller so we dont eat as much.

More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight.

More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to have obesity.

More than 2 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight or have obesity.

About 1 in 13 adults were considered to have extreme obesity.

About 1 in 6 children and adolescents ages 2 to 19 were considered to have obesity.

Do we need more food, or better food?
                              We need distribution of food. We have a government that refuses to sell food to certain people for various reasons. We have people that don't take care of themselves. That's a completely different thing. It's insanely expensive right now to eat "healthy" food. I think the US needs to figure that out before they start condemning ag. Chemicals are one way to make vegetables affordable for the average person that doesn't have the time or space to grow their own. Believe it or not your situation is not "normal" I'm assuming some disposable income, combined with room to grow food. That's just not realistic for everyone to achieve.

Comment

I've been buying it and storing its up before the ban goes into effect, or they have to start making it so weak that it's not effective.

Comment

Working...
                                X