Power outages . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
    I'm ready. Was hoping for a good test but it looks like we are about done with this ice storm in Coke County.

30kW generator.

Well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

30kW generator.

Well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Yea this.

Comment

Power went out again here in Leon county a few hours ago. Got my old *** generator running a shop light, a space heater and an electric blanket for the wife.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was thinking this morning.

I pay a fee per kwh to Oncor to maintain the lines.
          Seems to me they are taking my money and not doing much of anything.

Wonder why nobody has filed a suit against them?

A few years ago dad had to show the Oncor people where the line was 1/4mi down the road because it was so grown up they couldn't find it. And if my memory is right it was DAYLIGHT

When I was a kid they came by about once a year and made sure the power lines were cleared out
          You might see them once every 10yrs now

Luckily my power has only gone off a few times but has came right back on every time this round.

Generator is on standby though

Comment

Out again in Round Rock.

Comment

Out in Harper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been out in Leander since 1:30am.

Comment

Back on in Round Rock

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                    I'm ready. Was hoping for a good test but it looks like we are about done with this ice storm in Coke County.
                    I like this one. 30kw laughs at AC/heat coming on while the oven and dryer are running.

Comment

Lost power in S Austin yesterday at 4:09am, still not back on.

Comment

Lost power at 9:00pm last night in Boerne. Still out.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
                          Not so much the infrastructure as it is companies not willing to spend the money to trim trees. You could make do with a piece of wood and an insulator. But when they wont spend the money to keep trees properly trimmed it doesnt matter. They will not do it. I was at oncor for several years and its pulling teeth to get them to trim anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                          Back home, they trim the trees maybe once every 10 years, and we have no where near the issues Texas has. I've never seen plants grow as fast here as they do. Centerpoint came through trimming trees by our old house, had a line of trees cut back a good 10-15 on all sides of the line. Within a 2 years, those branches are almost touching the line again. When we moved out, it was like they had never been trimmed, just 4 years later.

The growth here is wild.

Comment

I am retired from an electric co-op. We always had a tree trimming program going on. Our main problem was home owners not wanting their trees trimmed or right of ways maintained. The old rural customers understood the need to trim trees due to past power outages. The new land owners moving to the country did not want their trees trimmed or want the tree trimming crews on their property. Trees that touch power lines actually are contributing to line loss of electricity flowing through the system. In other words, trees absorb power from the lines just like the meter at your house. The power purchased from the main supplier is total usage. The power recorded from electric meters is always less then total usage. The difference is due to line loss from trees and other obstructions and normal loss in an electrical distribution system. The total usage bill from the supplier still needs to be paid so the consumer pays for the line losses passed through to their electric bill. An active tree tree trimming program is necessary to keep non-income losses to a minimum and keep rates stable longer. The other advantage to an active tree trimming program is less outages during inclement weather. If the meters are spinning during cold weather, the utility is making money and customers are happy and warm. Outages cost a lot of money with the cost of lineman on higher wages due to overtime, equipment breakdowns, getting stuck, dangers of getting electrocuted, etc. The lineman crews are the toughest and most dedicated people I’ve known.

So the next time you are contacted by your electric utility to trim trees on your property, you will be helping yourself, your neighbors and your community in minimizing future outages. If you see trees in the lines on your property, contact them and they will come out and trim them.

Comment

Lost power 8pm last night. Still out. South of Corsicana

Comment

We are on the south east side of Franklin, about a mile from town. Power went out yesterday around 5am, has been out ever since. We didn’t lose power during Uri, but will probably be out for some time now, if I had to guess. Trees and limbs down everywhere, but have seen several lines breaking due to ice buildup. The main line across my mom-n-laws place doesn’t have any trees near it, but the lines are down in several sections, with some of the poles laying over.

Comment

Working...
                                X