Comment

Originally posted by Hunterbarton86 View Post
      Whetstone and leather
      Fify

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I love the work sharp.

Comment

Outdoor edge and a big pack of blades is going to be your best bet.

We clean somewhere around a hundred deer a year, I still use a 'real' knife sometimes, but I have a Warthog and a honing rod nearby at all times.

I sat and re-sharpened about a dozen of the outdoor edge blades last night with the warthog and the honing stick. The only problem is that the little thumb stick won't let the blade get very deep inside the warthog....but I mainly care about the tip of the knife anyway.

When you go shopping for a honing rod, there are a bunch out there....for camp use, I want a steel rod, but the ceramic ones are faster and better for hard steel knives (but being ceramic, it will break if you drop it)
          Last edited by Atfulldraw; 01-03-2021, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Get a Spyderco Sharpmaker. $75 on Amazon.

Watch the youtube video on how it works.

If you can hold a blade vertically, you can sharpen a knife and shave with it. I bought mine back in the 80's and it still works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
              i have bought so many knife sharpening gimmicks since i had a stroke i couldnt sharpen a knife to save my soul has anyone had luck with the warthog vsharp i have something similar but it just doesnt work that well im tired of asking people to sharpen my knife for me i used arkansas wet stone before but i just cant use them anymore
              I have one but the replacement "stones" are super expensive. I got the Work Sharp electric band style sharpener and I really like it.

Comment

Best sharpener hands down and anyone can sharpen a knife to a razors edge!!

Experience the convenience and power of Edge Pro knife sharpeners. Our hand sharpening system for knives is the ultimate way to get precise, fast results.

Comment

i have bought so many knife sharpening gimmicks since i had a stroke i couldnt sharpen a knife to save my soul has anyone had luck with the warthog vsharp i have something similar but it just doesnt work that well im tired of asking people to sharpen my knife for me i used arkansas wet stone before but i just cant use them anymore
                  I used a warthog a few days ago at a local archery shop and it took way too much metal off- maybe it had course stones in it but I had to come home and work it on the steel to get it right! I think it’s a great system though but I would get some fine stones

Comment

Btt

Comment

Originally posted by El Viejo View Post
                      Box cutter is the easiest thing to use on hogs. The only time you need something bigger is on splitting the pelvis. I can usually find it with a box cutter on a deer, but for some reason the hogs are harder to hit, at least for me.
                      We use box cutters too. Starting with the hooked blades, they go just under the hide.

If you make at least 3 vertical "stripes", it makes it much easier to "peel" one.

Comment

The Warthog works pretty well. It will do what you are looking to do. My main complaint is that you have to buy different grit rods separately if you want them and they are not cheap. And swapping rods out and turning them over could be an issue if you lack dexterity. Also it will take some time to get the angle of the blade set with the Warthog. it doesn't put much pressure on the blade so it removes metal pretty slowly. If your knife is very dull it'll take some time to get it sharp. Where the Warthog shines is it is quick and easy to touch up a blade. Once you have it sharp you can just give it a few licks periodically as you use it and keep it touched up easily as you go. I keep one on my boat for touching up fillet knives and it does a good job. If you are looking for a one motion sharpener, this one will do it. Overall I like it.

I prefer the Work Sharp guided field sharpener, it is more compact and does a great job. Much faster option. I sharpen with it and touch up with a steel here and there as I use the knife. The only problem is the two direction thing. If that's an issue the Warthog would probably be a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                          I used a warthog a few days ago at a local archery shop and it took way too much metal off- maybe it had course stones in it but I had to come home and work it on the steel to get it right! I think it’s a great system though but I would get some fine stones
                          That is the exact opposite of the issue I have. Maybe I need some courser rods for mine. It takes forever to remove enough metal to sharpen a dull knife with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                            Thank me later....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                            This is a really good sharpener. I highly recommend it if you can make it work.

Comment

For you guys that have trouble with a flat stones.
                              go slow, use very little pressure, clean stones often. Go way longer than you think you need too on the med and fine stones. Finish out with a good leather strop/belt

Comment

Warthog works great for me. I use it for my kitchen knives mainly. Once a good edge is established, it only takes a a dozen or so swipes to freshen up the edge.

I have numerous stones and wheels and can easily hand sharpen a good blade but the warthog is fast and easy to use. If I need a better edge then my stones and strops get used.

Comment

Working...
                                X