HVAC drain problems....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
    If it is coming from the side of the unit, it isn't getting in the main drain. Make sure the trap at the unit is clear. Is this a very old unit? You could have a drain pan with holes in it, ( I have replaced several systems in the last couple of years for this reason), or you could have airflow causing water to come off the coil and miss the pan. Air turbulence will also cause water to blow out of the pan. if the trap is clear, you may need a pro to get involved.

There are mixed answers on bleach in the drain. If I had metal drain pans, I wouldn't want bleach near them due to corrosion. Water treatment people have told me that the stuff that grows in the drain line isn't algae, so bleach may not be effective. But a lot of the condensate pan treatments are chlorine based. I can tell you it looks like snot.

I’ll take some pic of the unit tomorrow when it’s cooler. I’ll turn the power off and pull the panel so you can look at it.

Comment

The dripping on the side of the unit is most likely just condensation. Hard to say without seeing in person though.

Comment

The dripping on the side of the unit is most likely just condensation. Hard to say without seeing in person though.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Any HVAC folks on here care to comment on using bleach? Our company recommends against it as their opinion is that the fumes corrode the unit. They recommend vinegar.

I’m not a hvac pro, but last class I took about it they said bleach is no longer recommended. I believe the fumes can corrode a type of metal in the coil. Peroxide or vinegar/hot water mix is recommended. Never use drano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My AC guy told me baking soda.

Comment

Ive had two different hvac companies recommend bleach or drano in the pvc drain line. I guess I’ll try vinegar.

Comment

If you cut the main drain pipe put a union on it instead of a coupling for when it happens in the future! We blow ours out every 2 years roughly!

Comment

Get the drain tablets on amazon. 200 for under $20 will last for years.

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                    If you cut the main drain pipe put a union on it instead of a coupling for when it happens in the future! We blow ours out every 2 years roughly!

When I cut one I put a rubber coupling with hose clamps on, that is made for this purpose.
                    Did you ever open the the system up for pics?

Comment

Is it possible that the unit is no longer level causing the water not to get to the main drain.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                        When I cut one I put a rubber coupling with hose clamps on, that is made for this purpose.
                        Did you ever open the the system up for pics?
                        We just have a pvc union that screws together, unscrew it and it allows you to blow air into it with a compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                          If you have already blown it out and its still backed up, I bet the clog is between the clean out and the primary pan, or the primary pan itself might be full of sludge.
                          My advice still stands. Clog is upstream of the clean out.

Comment

When you open the panel is the primary pan full or empty? If it’s empty then you most likely have holes or cracks in it. If it’s full and over flowing then you probably have some blockage before the clean out.

Comment

When I installed the drain on my shop ac I put a ball valve directly off the air handler drain. That goes across to a tee with the top of the run open. If I ever have a blockage I can close the ball valve and blow down the line through the open top of the tee to clear.

Comment

I never got a chance to open it up and take pictures. I blew the line out and poured a bunch of bleach down the line. The over flow pan is no longer draining out the soffit. I think the issue is ok for now, but I'm still wanting to pull the panel off and take a look. I want to make sure that the main drain pan is not running slow or clogged as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X