No announcement yet.

Anyone leave while their oven is on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ac is always on, fans are running 95% of the time I'm home. Never go to bed without a box fan running for noise. I'm not worried about the water heater. I'm not worried about leaving things on, it's just what the items are. There is a level of aware, then there is a level of paranoia and then there is bubba came over this weekend with a thirty pack and we installed the electricity in the new add on Stay safe

Comment

I do this fairly often, put roast in and leave for 4-6 hours. And that was standard procedure by my mom when i was growing up. Decided to ask my son...the fireman. he said it worries him and he tries not to do it. then he messaged me that they do leave the crockpot on and the pellet grill running right next to the house, and he's not sure there's much difference. Said they even leave the pellet running at the firehouse when they are gone. Ultimately, he said it's a risk running any of them when you are gone.....

Comment

A buddy did in a new home. Left for church and left something cooking in the oven. Well church lasted longer than anticipated and the roast turned into jerky and smoke damaged the whole house including all their clothes...

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          No. Fans don’t cool rooms.

*Bill Nye enters the chat*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

No.

Comment

Ah, but they move the air which can cause the cooling affect on perspiring skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                A buddy did in a new home. Left for church and left something cooking in the oven. Well church lasted longer than anticipated and the roast turned into jerky and smoke damaged the whole house including all their clothes...
                Must have been a heckuva long service.

It’s interesting to see the range of responses. I’m just now noticing the “delay start” button on the oven. I’ll have to give it a try.

I usually do a roast for four hrs. That leaves it sitting in the oven unrefrigerated for 6 hrs if I leave at 8am. I assume y’all will give the thumbs up to that too?
                Last edited by MetalMan2004; 05-24-2022, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Not generally but twice in my younger days after being over-served by irresponsible bartenders (they are out there be careful) I may have put something in the oven only to fall asleep (bartenders fault) and wake up to my animals yelling at me to wake up and a house full of pizza smoke [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                    Not generally but twice in my younger days after being over-served by irresponsible bartenders (they are out there be careful) I may have put something in the oven only to fall asleep (bartenders fault) and wake up to my animals yelling at me to wake up and a house full of pizza smoke [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Funny how they turn the size of a hockey puck when that happens.

Comment

I'm not paranoid by any means, however, I'm not leaving an oven, stove or dryer on when I'm not home. One of the number 1 causes of house fires is unattended cooking. Dryer lint is also highly combustable and most defintiely can be a potential fire hazard.

Yes, I'm sure other appliances such as refrigerators, water heaters, etc., have caused many of house fires, but not at the rate as cooking appliances and dryers. Other electronics, wiring, etc., have as well.

I understand that we all live with a certain level of risk, however, I just assume not to partake in the activities that lead in the statistical fire categories.

Another poster mentioned shutting off the water to your home. To be honest, my FIL works in public adjusting and its eye opening as to how many claims he's worked on that were due to a busted water pipe when people were on vacation. Until I met him, I never gave shutting off the water when going out of town much thought at all.

Comment

Never have and this is why. Happened about two weeks ago and we are in a rent house. Luckily I was in the kitchen when it happened. Oven got super hot in a matter of 45-60 seconds. I had to go outside and flip the breaker to get it to stop arcing. Would have burned the house down no doubt.
                        Attached Files

Comment

So, i guess none of you smoke in bed after a few drinks and a good "workout"???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                            I guess you don’t have anything that money can’t replace. Had a house fire my senior year of high school there are lots of things money can’t replace.
                            Pretty sure his comment was tongue-in-cheek. IE: a joke.

To the OP, yes, sometimes; but I'm nervous as a cat the whole time we're gone!

Comment

Working...
                            X