Denton,Texas history question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denton,Texas history question

I own an old Colt revolver that was 1 of 10 shipped to Denton Hardware in 1930. This particular revolver has "D Police Dept" stamped on the butt of the grip. I have attached pictures of the revolver for the inquiring minds, but would really like to know if anyone had ever heard of the Denton Hardware Company. I am not sure if this is Denton,Texas as there are a few other cities in the US named Denton. However, none of the other cities in 1930 would have been as large as Denton, Texas. I will assume that an order for 10 Police Positive revolvers would have been for a large police department and probably used as a training tool. Any help would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	25283127

Click image for larger version

Name:	clt1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	25283128

[ATTACH]1089954[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1089955[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]1089956[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1089957[/ATTACH]

Comment

Jeff, I found mention of a Denton Hardware Company in Maryland. Scroll down the list to the very last name:

Comment

It is apparently an Ace Hardware now. Here’s a phone number:

Ace Hardware, 328 Market St, Denton, Maryland locations and hours of operation. Opening and closing times for stores near by. Address, phone number, directions, and more.

Comment

I found that one and one in Nebraska, but the population of those cities was relatively small in 1930 and their police departments were made up of only a few officers.

But, you could be right.

Comment

Further searching reveals that Ace Hardware is permanently closed, and it is now a pizza restaurant.

Comment

I was born and raised in Denton, TX and am not aware of a Denton Hardware. Evers Hardware was on the south side of the square and the only hardware store in town that I know of.

Comment

Pretty cool piece

Comment

There was an old hardware store on the square that sold guns for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      There was an old hardware store on the square that sold guns for a long time.

Evers Hardware on the square and T & Sons was the old family sporting good store on the square.

Not sure if T & Sons sold hardware before or if Evers sold guns. ....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Evers Hardware on the square and T & Sons was the old family sporting good store on the square.

Maybe I'm combining or confusing the two....it was a cool place, but that was 20 years ago before the queers took over the town.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

Maybe in the 30's it was called Denton Hardware Company, not real sure.

Comment

Jeff,

I would reach out to Colt and see if their historian may be able to dig deeper into the records and confirm a City, State of Denton Hardware ? Even a zip code would help.

Comment

Radar, it is also possible that Colt sold those to the hardware store, but the police department may not have bought all 10 of them. It is strange that the police would use a .22.

Comment

Working...
                              X