• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paid to send my dog to college. I hope that’s ok with the OP

Comment

If your able to help, why wouldn’t you?

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
        I have one that will be a Senior in High School and heading to college after that. I plan to pay for it with a few rules in place:

-In the state of Texas unless she finds a way I don't have to pay out of state tuition.
        -No goofy degrees.
        -She keeps her grades where they need to be.

My parents paid for mine in the beginning, but after a few semesters I decided I wanted to go to the military. When that didn't work out, and I went back to school, they probably would've resumed paying. I decided not to ask them.
        ^^ This. If Im paying, i still have a small influence and can set expectations. My parents helped me out and i would like to do the same for my kids. After graduation, not being in Student debt to my eyeballs was very nice. They will still have a side job for spending cash but tuition and housing i will help with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          I paid to send my dog to college. I hope that’s ok with the OP
          mine failed.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
            We are paying for my daughters school. I've always planned on doing it. She has always carried a 4.0 in college and was the valedictorian in high school. As long as she is doing that, I wll continue to help her pay it. She plays volleyball, so she doesn't have time for a job in the fall. She works about 30 hours a week during the spring. She also gets a decent amount of academic scholarships each semester that pays for about 1/4 of her school. I don't see any reason for her to start her adult life in debt if she doesn't have to.
            Where does your daughter play volleyball?

Comment

I paid for all 3 of my kids as long as they kept their grades up. All 3 graduated debt free and have great jobs now.

Comment

Why pay for kids college?

My opinion is to pay for it if it doesn’t hinder or set back your retirement. No parent is obligated to pay for their kid’s college education. Period.

I was fortunate to be able to pay for both of my sons college but it came with rules.

First, you better make your grades or your *** is coming home and that gravy train is over.

Second, I only paid for their college expenses. This included tuition, books and living expenses. I sat them down and we figured out line item by line item what their monthly living expenses should be and I sent that amount of money to their checking account on the first of every month.

They got zero spending money from me. I told them to get a summer job and whatever they saved from the summer is what they had to party with during the school year. I liked this because it taught them to save and then budget their spending over a period of time.

Both of them came to realize not long after they graduated how fortunate they were to not only have the education they wanted but they got to start their life off debt free. Nearly all of their friends were in a different boat.

I also told them if they decided to pursue a Masters degree I would help with that as well. Neither decided to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have made no promises in regards to college, to my son. If he receives any money it will be performance based just like the real world. He can propose a plan of action and negotiate for funding. I'm open to college, some kind of apprenticeship, or even a business opportunity.

Comment

I did it because my parents did it for me. The kids know they have to pay me back, by paying for their kids' education.

We saved, paid a small amount out of the checking account each month and really didn't feel any burden from it. As a matter of fact, when they both went on the college accounts, we got a small raise around here.

Comment

We paid for our daughters PA degree but if she hadn’t been a rock solid kid she would have been paying for her education on her own. It was made clear a long time ago she was in charge of how her future would unfold, if she buckled down and did the right thing with great grades then she was set, if she screwed up then it was on her. I know some people can’t swing it just like me and my wife’s parents couldn’t but we gave 2 options. Do good and get a free pass or screw up and do your own thing. Life’s all about choices and our kid pinches pennys and is light years ahead of where we were at her age.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                        I guess the obvious answer to this question is because parents want to or feel obligated to pay.

I have two kids, five and seven and right now I don't have any plans to funds their college education. Why? Because my parents didn't pay for my school and it probably the best thing they could have ever done for me.

It was the first time I had to figure it out on my own. If I wanted to graduate college I knew it was completely up to me financially and academically. I was able to pay my way through school with academic scholarships, working and taking out a few small loans. I graduated in 2002 with about 10k in student loans. That experience taught me hard work, planning, and eventually changed my views from being somewhat liberal to a conservative.

Whats everyone else's views on paying for their kids college? Are you delaying or postponing retirement to pay for your kids school?

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
                        That same 10K nowadays wouldn't sniff a full semesters tuition plus living costs.

I don't understand your line of thinking, but I do respect it, as my parents didn't pay for college for me either. It didn't teach me hard work or planning, my parents had already taught me that before I got to school.

I don't regret my time spent in college, or the degree I have, but dang it would have been nice to not start off in life without anything except $40K in student loan debt. If I ever have children, I imagine I would do what I could to help pay for their tuition, if they chose to pursue a higher education.

Comment

It is different for everyone but if you start saving early (when they are born) and tie the money up into something compounding, or other tax deferred options, it can start to grow and build up.

Comment

My parents helped me as much as they could and I am thankful for it. There was an expectation that I take it serious and I did.

I have, and will, pay for most of my kids' school too and they have the same expectation to take it serious.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              where does your daughter play volleyball?
                              wtamu

Comment

my mom paid for my tuition and apartment, i paid for for my books and whatever spending money i wanted. my last 1.5 years of college i worked 30-40hrs a week and more during the summer at enterprise rent a car.

we will help our boys as much as we can, the cost of a college education has gotten so ridiculous that i would hate for them to graduate with that collar around their neck.

if they dont want to go, i will support that as well. we have talked about learning a trade, i dont feel like college is the end all anymore with the demand for a good welder/hvac/plumber/electrician.

Comment

Working...
                                X