No announcement yet.

2022 High School Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys this has turned in a bad direction. I have a ton of respect for College,HS and Select coaches as they do a job most parents can’t do or won’t do. They mold your kids into good people and athletes and if some work hard they get the opportunity to play at the next level which we all hope happens one day if you love the game. We don’t need resumes or coaching levels to have a conversation about a game we all like to play or watch. I have helped a ton of kids over the years and coached select ball for many years and for the record have not taken a dime from the parents.

I know baseball is a bad subject at times and people like myself make comments they shouldn’t, but let’s remember it’s about the kids. If you have some advice that helps great. Sorry I started this topic like I always do come baseball season or as it approaches, but I’m not getting in a pissing match over a game or with people I have know idea what they have done or haven’t done. Good Luck to all the players this year!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
      So you said "ask me how I know". I'm asking you what your background is as I've told you mine. You always seem to dodge this question when asked.

You obviously seem to be tied to the game but take every chance you get...particularly on the "Select Baseball" thread...to disparage the game and the parents that are only trying to brag on their kids and perhaps learn from others.

If you have ties to the game and presumably at least a former love for the game, why not try to help guide some of these 9U Dads with word of wisdom rather that negative garbage you always post?

lets here it gingi, answer the question.

Comment

I will give my 2 cents on rest. Kids need rest. I’m not a fan of putting down a baseball for x time. Absolutely no negative effects of just tossing a ball and it keeps the movement natural and will let the kid stay limber. I can’t say my kid throws with effort year around but he does pick up a ball everyday- It’s kinda his comfort zone. He has a schedule and effort level he is going to put out. Weights same. What most coaches and programs lack in is macro diet and body care.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
          So you said "ask me how I know". I'm asking you what your background is as I've told you mine. You always seem to dodge this question when asked.

You obviously seem to be tied to the game but take every chance you get...particularly on the "Select Baseball" thread...to disparage the game and the parents that are only trying to brag on their kids and perhaps learn from others.

If you have ties to the game and presumably at least a former love for the game, why not try to help guide some of these 9U Dads with word of wisdom rather that negative garbage you always post?

Comment

To all of these arm care experts in here throwing around their coaching credentials, so you coach HS baseball and now you are an Exercise Physiologist and Biomechanist?

Please educate us, those who piped up from the coaches box. What does a shutdown mean? How long should it last? What does a ramp up look like and how long should it last. For those saying kids shouldn’t start throwing yet, how do you take a pitcher from not throwing at all in mid December to full effort off the mound February 1st? You are going to go from zero to 100% effort in 45 days or less? You are more dangerous to kids arms than the dads you are dogging in this thread.

Lastly, where did you gain this “knowledge” you are spouting? Do you read the medical literature from ASMI? Follow any of the current sports medicine thought leaders on training overhand athletes? I am going to bet no based on the outdated crap you are posting.

Lastly, do you have any guess as to when the majority of arm injuries happen? Early in the season….from throwing on an unconditioned arm because some dumb *** coach told you not to pick up a ball until Christmas but then asked you to throw at game speed a month later for tryouts and early season tournaments.

Put down your ego, stop throwing your job title around as some lame appeal to authority to win an internet argument and actually educate yourself so you can protect the arms of these kids you claim to care about. Imagine being so lazy you can’t be bothered to stay up to date on the most important aspect of the job you wear like a super hero cape

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
              To all of these arm care experts in here throwing around their coaching credentials, so you coach HS baseball and now you are an Exercise Physiologist and Biomechanist?

Please educate us, those who piped up from the coaches box. What does a shutdown mean? How long should it last? What does a ramp up look like and how long should it last. For those saying kids shouldn’t start throwing yet, how do you take a pitcher from not throwing at all in mid December to full effort off the mound February 1st? You are going to go from zero to 100% effort in 45 days or less? You are more dangerous to kids arms than the dads you are dogging in this thread.

Lastly, where did you gain this “knowledge” you are spouting? Do you read the medical literature from ASMI? Follow any of the current sports medicine thought leaders on training overhand athletes? I am going to bet no based on the outdated crap you are posting.

Lastly, do you have any guess as to when the majority of arm injuries happen? Early in the season….from throwing on an unconditioned arm because some dumb *** coach told you not to pick up a ball until Christmas but then asked you to throw at game speed a month later for tryouts and early season tournaments.

Put down your ego, stop throwing your job title around as some lame appeal to authority to win an internet argument and actually educate yourself so you can protect the arms of these kids you claim to care about. Imagine being so lazy you can’t be bothered to stay up to date on the most important aspect of the job you wear like a super hero cape
              salty

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                Guys this has turned in a bad direction. I have a ton of respect for College,HS and Select coaches as they do a job most parents can’t do or won’t do. They mold your kids into good people and athletes and if some work hard they get the opportunity to play at the next level which we all hope happens one day if you love the game. We don’t need resumes or coaching levels to have a conversation about a game we all like to play or watch. I have helped a ton of kids over the years and coached select ball for many years and for the record have not taken a dime from the parents.

I know baseball is a bad subject at times and people like myself make comments they shouldn’t, but let’s remember it’s about the kids. If you have some advice that helps great. Sorry I started this topic like I always do come baseball season or as it approaches, but I’m not getting in a pissing match over a game or with people I have know idea what they have done or haven’t done. Good Luck to all the players this year!
                Thanks for starting the thread…. I wasn’t trying to initiate an argument either so I apologize if I did. I was trying to give an opinion….. my wife frequently tells me my opinions can sometimes come across a certain way. Again, if it did I’m sorry.

We need Dads showing up bringing kids and supporting them, Coaches willing to give their time, and kids who have a continued energy for the game. If Coaches are in it for the wrong reason after a few years they figure out how hard it is to make a living and burn themselves out of the game.

Training is different for everyone, figure out what’s best for y’all. I know what I’ll have my 6 and 3 year old do as they get older…… and I’ll also do everything I can every year to relearn what I do wrong that can be done better.

The plate is 17 inches at every level guys- hopefully everyone is after the same goal.

Fantastic speech from the 96 ABCA below from a guy who knew a thing or two- worth your read if you’ve got time.

Comment

You sir are right! I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about.

What I said is that I could not agree more with the sentiment that you need to take time off. What I know is from experience…. And my experience **** sure tells me I’m not throwing an arm at 100% from the mound on February 1st for a preseason tournament that means absolutely nothing…. Or that I’m ranking arm strength off of a tryout when any kid I don’t already know most likely hasn’t thrown since last year…..

But I’m not a Doctor….
                  Or in medical sales…..

So as I said you are absolutely right and I have no idea what I’m talking about. Thank you for the enlightening information. Now please educate me, how can I use that to be beneficial to me? What are the current sports medicine thoughts on training overhand athletes? What does a shutdown mean? How long should it last? What does a ramp up look like and how long should it last.

I am positive I do not know the most advanced medically accurate answers to those, I just know what I’ve learned along the way. Please teach me 👍

Comment

I am no expert and have zero playing experience. My HS had no baseball. I was a football guy. My oldest wanted to play so I got into coaching by being roped in at LL signups. I hate losing so I made it my mission to get myself educated. I have about 17 years of coaching at the LL and select levels, but I went to every lesson my son went to, and every showcase and tried to soak up at much information as I could from those coaches. I also umpired for about 6 years, and did the same. I learned a lot from being on the field watching coaches ply their trade. Does that make me an expert-absolutely not, but it does give me a bit of knowledge.

I say all that to say this....I think kids can play to much, get burned out, and get injured. I also think that when you come out for baseball in January and you haven't touched a ball in 8 months that is almost as bad. My oldest boys first year of JuCo ball we had multiple arm injuries on the team within the first 2 weeks. I believe because they went from doing nothing to all in to quickly. My son pitched 2 years of JuCo ball (which is really like 4 years because they play twice as many games), then 3 years of D1 ball. He got an extra year because of Covid. For the last 3 years he averaged 125 pitches per game, and 8 plus innings per game. He threw 154 pitches twice, and never had any injuries. He threw year round, not pitched year round since the age of 13. To be fair he was not a max effort pitcher. He sat 87-88 with an occasional 90. Keeping your arm in shape along with good mechanics reduces the likelihood of injury in my opinion.

Comment

@em12

I am glad you engaged, but I didn’t claim or stand behind any credentials so there is no need to go there. I am just a dad trying to help my boys stay as healthy as possible doing what they love.

And to refresh your memory a bit, what you said is that you absolutely agree that kids should not start throwing until mid December and then you went further to say they should not touch a ball for 6-8 weeks.

Let’s talk about the first one. You agreed that kids should not throw before mid December, that was the statement you quoted and said “ I couldn’t agree more”. Which kids? All kids? Just the kids that played fall baseball or the kids who haven’t picked up a ball since summer baseball? Are we talking about a 14 year old Freshman with open growth plates and lots of new uncoordinated soft tissue from growing 6 inches over the summer or an 18 year old fully mature kid with a structured training program and excellent tissue quality? Are we talking about a pitcher who threw 100 competitive innings since last February or a 1B who threw less than 100 throws at full effort all year?

As to not throwing a kid 100% on February 1st after not picking up a ball until mid December, what intensity level do you have them throw at in these competitive environments you’ve put them into on a 45 day ramp up? How do you measure and manage that intensity? Do you have some magical methods to get high school boys to compete at less than 100% effort.

As to the 6-8 week shutdown….which is it? 6 weeks or 8 weeks? That’s a 25% variance. When does this shutdown start, right after the last game they play? Do you prescribe an off ramp or just a hard shut down after the last out?

Let me be clear, I don’t disagree that kids need to take time off. If that means play other sports, structured shutdowns as part of a well designed arm care plan or whatever. The problem with blanket statements like “kids should not throw before mid December ” or “kids should shut down for 6-8 weeks” is they are lazy and potentially dangerous without context. Worse, this kind of blanket statement gets made and then immediately supported by “ I’m a coach and I know best because well, I’m a coach with x years of experience and I have seen stuff”.

So to answer you final question, which I doubt you really want answered….it depends. It depends on the kids age, fitness, past workload, position, etc…

I will tell you this, the current thinking of “put the ball down and don’t pick it up at all for X time” has largely been replaced by modulation of intensity. There are specific physiological reasons for this related to the better understanding of how the body heals itself.

Take for example an ACL surgery. Not long ago if you had an ACL surgery you would be immobilized for a period of time and then start PT and then gradually return to full function. Now when you have one of these procedures they will start a series of exercises in the recovery room immediately after the surgery. The reason for this is a better understanding of how the body heals from trauma, particularly in high stress and high use joints like knees, shoulders etc….the Cliff’s notes version is that as the body generates new tissue to repair trauma you want to organize that tissue to the specific demands it will carry as it’s formed, not after. If you have micro tears in your tissue the body has healing cells that will turn into whatever type of tissue is damaged and fill in the damaged area. These new tissues are weak until they get directionally organized by a load. The best time to do this is as the tissue forms or as soon after as possible.

This same principle is applied to the trauma caused by a long year of throwing. When you stop, the body starts to repair the trauma caused by a long season. Light tossing a few times a week is proven to be better for your arm and reduces injury risk during the following ramp up phase compared to hard shutdown with no throwing.

With a hard shutdown for 6-8 weeks the trauma of a long year is healing, if not why shut down, right? All of your healing is done with no load so the new tissue your body has formed during healing is not organized for the demands you will place on it. Now it’s mid December and you have 45 days to ramp up. This new tissue needs time to adapt to the specific load and 45 days is not enough when starting cold. This new tissue is vulnerable to breaking down because soft tissue is organized directionally. New tissue is just a blob until it gets worked. Your hard shutdown kids are like that ACL patient from years past that didn’t get exercised in the recovery room but now coach needs you to throw a couple of innings in an early scrimmage. But hey, just don’t throw 100%….

Those kids would be better off doing a gradual deload after they stop competing, hit the weight room hard while light tossing at 60 feet a few times a week and doing other motor patterning work like bands. Without the high intensity of competition they will begin the healing process you want but the new tissue will be organized and stronger from the start, like the ACL patient who started rehab in the recovery room, when you start to ramp up…..I still wouldn’t wait until mid December though to start increasing intensity but what do I know, I am just a dad.
                      Last edited by TXJIM; 12-02-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

@em12

I am glad you engaged, but I didn’t claim or stand behind any credentials so there is no need to go there. I am just a dad trying to help my boys stay as healthy as possible doing what they love.

And to refresh your memory a bit, what you said is that you absolutely agree that kids should not start throwing until mid December and then you went further to say they should not touch a ball for 6-8 weeks.

Let’s talk about the first one. You agreed that kids should not throw before mid December, that was the statement you quoted and said “ I couldn’t agree more”. Which kids? All kids? Just the kids that played fall baseball or the kids who haven’t picked up a ball since summer baseball? Are we talking about a 14 year old Freshman with open growth plates and lots of new uncoordinated soft tissue from growing 6 inches over the summer or an 18 year old fully mature kid with a structured training program and excellent tissue quality? Are we talking about a pitcher who threw 100 competitive innings since last February or a 1B who threw less than 100 throws at full effort all year?

As to not throwing a kid 100% on February 1st after not picking up a ball until mid December, what intensity level do you have them throw at in these competitive environments you’ve put them into on a 45 day ramp up? How do you measure and manage that intensity? Do you have some magical methods to get high school boys to compete at less than 100% effort.

As to the 6-8 week shutdown….which is it? 6 weeks or 8 weeks? That’s a 25% variance. When does this shutdown start, right after the last game they play? Do you prescribe an off ramp or just a hard shut down after the last out?

Let me be clear, I don’t disagree that kids need to take time off. If that means play other sports, structured shutdowns as part of a well designed arm care plan or whatever. The problem with blanket statements like “kids should not throw before mid December ” or “kids should shut down for 6-8 weeks” is they are lazy and potentially dangerous without context. Worse, this kind of blanket statement gets made and then immediately supported by “ I’m a coach and I know best because well, I’m a coach with x years of experience and I have seen stuff”.

So to answer you final question, which I doubt you really want answered….it depends. It depends on the kids age, fitness, past workload, position, etc…

I will tell you this, the current thinking of “put the ball down and don’t pick it up at all for X time” has largely been replaced by modulation of intensity. There are specific physiological reasons for this related to the better understanding of how the body heals itself.

Take for example an ACL surgery. Not long ago if you had an ACL surgery you would be immobilized for a period of time and then start PT and then gradually return to full function. Now when you have one of these procedures they will start a series of exercises in the recovery room immediately after the surgery. The reason for this is a better understanding of how the body heals from trauma, particularly in high stress and high use joints like knees, shoulders etc….the Cliff’s notes version is that as the body generates new tissue to repair trauma you want to organize that tissue to the specific demands it will carry as it’s formed, not after. If you have micro tears in your tissue the body has healing cells that will turn into whatever type of tissue is damaged and fill in the damaged area. These new tissues are weak until they get directionally organized by a load. The best time to do this is as the tissue forms or as soon after as possible.

This same principle is applied to the trauma caused by a long year of throwing. When you stop, the body starts to repair the trauma caused by a long season. Light tossing a few times a week is proven to be better for your arm and reduces injury risk during the following ramp up phase compared to hard shutdown with no throwing.

With a hard shutdown for 6-8 weeks the trauma of a long year is healing, if not why shut down, right? All of your healing is done with no load so the new tissue your body has formed during healing is not organized for the demands you will place on it. Now it’s mid December and you have 45 days to ramp up. This new tissue needs time to adapt to the specific load and 45 days is not enough when starting cold. This new tissue is vulnerable to breaking down because soft tissue is organized directionally. New tissue is just a blob until it gets worked. Your hard shutdown kids are like that ACL patient from years past that didn’t get exercised in the recovery room but now coach needs you to throw a couple of innings in an early scrimmage. But hey, just don’t throw 100%….

Those kids would be better off doing a gradual deload after they stop competing, hit the weight room hard while light tossing at 60 feet a few times a week and doing other motor patterning work like bands. Without the high intensity of competition they will begin the healing process you want but the new tissue will be organized and stronger from the start, like the ACL patient who started rehab in the recovery room, when you start to ramp up…..I still wouldn’t wait until mid December though to start increasing intensity but what do I know, I am just a dad.
                        Thank you- first reaction for me is a sarcastic snap back- kids are different this and that- situations are different and so forth. I generalized a statement not intending to be specific to a hundred different situations. And you took it to be a one size fits all.

I don’t want to continue to go back and forth. Is it making you feel better? You schooled me 👍

Your kid throwing in East Cobb and the boy at Robinson High School who’s parents can’t afford a plane ticket are very different situations.
                        And all the reading and money spent in the world will never give you real life experience….. until enough time passes that it does. The only thing money can’t buy is time.

Thank you for your expertise sir- I sure do appreciate it.

Comment

Just read thru this thread and the varying opinions. Many different views for sure. There is so much information out there now written by guys that have developed 100’s if not thousands of arms at the college and pro level. Their throwing protocols are all very similar. Intensity during competition is much different than light throwing in the off-season. Not once has my son been advised to completely stop throwing for 6-8 weeks if he is healthy. He was consistently touching 90 as a sophomore and was well conditioned going into this past summer. His HS coach never let him throw more than 80 pitches in an outing and gave him plenty of rest in between. This last July in his last event of the summer he tore his UCL and required internal brace TJ surgery. It wasn’t due to over use or lack of conditioning. It just happened. Dr. Meister in Arlington did the surgery. I asked him his advice on preventing arm injuries. Strength is the biggest factor. Building the muscles prevents a lot of throwing injuries. Find the podcasts by guys like Josh Rudd at Flatground pitching. The guys on those podcasts are some of the best in the business.

Comment

Originally posted by em12 View Post
                            Thank you- first reaction for me is a sarcastic snap back- kids are different this and that- situations are different and so forth. I generalized a statement not intending to be specific to a hundred different situations. And you took it to be a one size fits all.

I don’t want to continue to go back and forth. Is it making you feel better? You schooled me 👍

Your kid throwing in East Cobb and the boy at Robinson High School who’s parents can’t afford a plane ticket are very different situations.
                            And all the reading and money spent in the world will never give you real life experience….. until enough time passes that it does. The only thing money can’t buy is time.

Thank you for your expertise sir- I sure do appreciate it.

Nice parsing of your words. There are dads of younger players in this thread who have posted that they are following to learn something. You come in to the thread and make a statement then use your job as a coach to add weight to your statement. Now you didn’t mean every kid? You could type “it depends on the kid or the situation” just as fast as the you typed your original response. If you are going to act like an authority on the subject you have some responsibility to be accurate for the sake of those who might take your advice as written.

As to you scrambling around my old post to find ammo to make a personal attack, that says a lot about you as a person and your comfort about your knowledge of the subject at hand…..and neither look good.

Comment

Don’t forget to dust off the bats & reinforce proper hitting mechanics & start doing some cage work
                              I see a lot of rust needing knocked off in the hitting arena if it’s been awhile for many

Comment

Again, you are right- I should have better specified.

For the Dads of younger kids….. you don’t have to pay a million dollars or play 365 to be a good ball player. Take a break every once in a while.

No scrambling- you showed me it’s a good plan to research- I learned.

No personal attack- if you feel convicted that’s on you. Your welcome to call me and have a conversation if you have anything to say about my character or integrity. I’ll pm you my number so you have it. Those two things are again something money can’t buy, and I take mine very seriously.

And I originally stated as far as subject matter….. what do I know ��*♂️

Comment

Working...
                                X