New low for Montgomery County Appraisal District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New low for Montgomery County Appraisal District

This is a bit of a rant and a public service message. I got tired of fighting my home values with the Montgomery county appraisal district so I hired a company to handle it. I thought my frustrations were over....wrong.

I am on my communities HOA board and we discovered that MCAD increased the Market value of one of the HOA owned detention reserves to $1,176,120 resulting in an over $20,000 tax bill. Keep in mind this is land that cannot be sold and cannot be built on. Reality is it has no market value because it can not be sold. We caught it an fought it but they still increased the taxes from $500 last year to $2200 this year.

Please make sure your community Home owners associations are on the look out for these increases.

Originally posted by RWB View Post
    This is a bit of a rant and a public service message. I got tired of fighting my home values with the Montgomery county appraisal district so I hired a company to handle it. I thought my frustrations were over....wrong.

I am on my communities HOA board and we discovered that MCAD increased the Market value of one of the HOA owned detention reserves to $1,176,120 resulting in an over $20,000 tax bill. Keep in mind this is land that cannot be sold and cannot be built on. Reality is it has no market value because it can not be sold. We caught it an fought it but they still increased the taxes from $500 last year to $2200 this year.

Please make sure your community Home owners associations are on the look out for these increases.
    We ran into same issue in Montgomery Co, we ended up selling the unusable property to a neighbor that backed up to it. Win win as he got it at "discounted" rate and neighborhood no longer has to foot tax bill.

Comment

Taxes were the main reason we moved from Montgomery County.
      Still work there though...

Comment

August 13 is my protest appt. GRRRRRRR

Comment

Wouldn't live in one of those communities that's the reason they get hit so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
            Wouldn't live in one of those communities that's the reason they get hit so hard.
            I dont understand what the living in an HOA community has to do with the county trying to asses a high market value to land that cannot be sold. If it cant be sold doesnt that mean that the land has no value to tax?

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
              Because you wouldn't live in one of those communities is the reason they get hit so hard?

Man, I know plenty of people on 10-20 acres in unincorporated areas that get hammered. The tax man cometh with little regard for the community.

Comment

I dont understand what the living in an HOA community has to do with the county trying to asses a high market value to land that cannot be sold. If it cant be sold doesnt that mean that the land has no value to tax?
                Okay, you had a chance to take it higher and didn't. Why come here and complain?

Comment

Fight all you want. Any increase at all is a win for them. My home value has never went down. They just sit back and pat each other on their back for increasing "revenue". People on a fixed income are screwed.

We are sheep getting sheared. As long as they dont take off too much the sheep dont complain.

Comment

Could y’all donate the property to a church or other nonprofit and do a perpetual leaseback for say $500 a year ? No tax on the property and a nonprofit benefits.

Comment

How big is this piece of property and what is it used for currently?

Retention makes me think water, which leads to wetlands
                      Flood zone?
                      Have a local bee keeper put some bees on it if it meets criteria and get ag valuation?

Need to get smarter than they are, figure out some kind of loophole to pay minimal if it truly cannot be used for anything
                      Even if it cost a little to implement it will still pay for itself in a few years

Comment

Burnet County added 80,000 dollars for a concrete pad on my property last year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Why pay the taxes on it?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjones View Post
                            Why pay the taxes on it?

That’s what I’m thinking. What are they going to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                              Burnet County added 80,000 dollars for a concrete pad on my property last year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
                              Burnet County is unbelievable. Doubled the price of 7 acres we have and increased our value more than 60,000.00 on our home on another 7 acres.
                              Trying to get a meeting to protest.

Comment

Working...
                              X