Rats in my wife's car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
    There is something in the plastic compound on wires they can eat and digest. I sell tons of pigtails that rats have destroyed...............

I read the wires are coated with a soy bi-product for their insulation. Probably take a class action to make them stop.

Comment

Last winter my wife tells me her car is vibrating like crazy. After some quick troubleshooting....

There were chunks all throughout the engine compartment

Comment

Dang man that sucks

Comment

Looked in the cabin air filter this morning and pulled out 4 more dead babies. That makes a total of 6. I opened the hood to try and see how they got in there and saw momma run through the engine. My guess is she made the nest and had the babies in there and then my wife parked it in the sun and killed the babies. Now I just have to get momma out some how, or it may just be time to trade it in.

Comment

Anyone know what this is? I found it in the nest. So far everything seems to be working ok, but they definitely chewed the plug off something.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ouch. Leaving the hood open push them out any?

Comment

The air conditioner on my wife's Toyota Camry got to where it wasn't putting out much air. Had my son check the cabin air filter and it was stuffed full of paper, cloth and anything else a mouse could build a nest out of. Luckily it didn't die in there.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ag View Post
                  Looked in the cabin air filter this morning and pulled out 4 more dead babies. That makes a total of 6. I opened the hood to try and see how they got in there and saw momma run through the engine. My guess is she made the nest and had the babies in there and then my wife parked it in the sun and killed the babies. Now I just have to get momma out some how, or it may just be time to trade it in.
                  Could you block the hole for the cabin air filter with some metal mesh, piece of expanded metal, steel wool, etc? Theory being to find something that will block the hole but allow for circulation, leave the cabin air filter out, and then fire it up with the heater running full blast for a while. That should keep her from getting back inside the car and hopefully send her packing. If she still gets back in then you'd at least know that she's got more than one entry point. Enough ozone will definitely take care of the smell if circulated throughout the inside and the HVAC system long enough. Just turn it off or unplug it before you get back in. Also, maybe rent or borrow another vehicle and run the ozone for a few days until the smell is gone, it beats signing up for another 36-72 monthly payments. Long winded but I thought I'd throw it out there, feel for ya man.

Comment

I can sing this exact same song. Corn in garage, wife complains about "a smell" in her car a few days later. Dead rat deep in the a/c somewhere. Cost me $500 for new a/c blower and deodorizer treatment. It was a nasty, funky smell.

Comment

I have a 2018 4R and a rat chewed up a hose during the winter time. What worked for me was spraying the engine bay and wheel wells with a mix of peppermint oil and water. Two teaspoons per cup of water.

There was a youtube showing how mice hated peppermint oil. Also the car dealer repair place recommended peppermint oil as well.

Start off spraying few times a week then you can taper off to once a week and see how that works.

Peppermint oil can get pricey but it's a lot less than having to repair wiring damage.

Comment

There was a thread on here last week I think that was about how to keep rats/mice out of ranch vehicles... It had several remedies and potential remedies...

Edit: Found it: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ighlight=wires
                        Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 09-17-2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Just spent $500 to replace this part on my F150. Not sure if it was a mouse, squirrel or rat. But hate it either way!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Had a rat in one of the company trucks. It fell out of the dash on my feet when I stopped at a stop sign. Crawled under the dash and found one of the firewall plugs had fallen out allowing them access into the truck.

Comment

Rid-a-Rat Packrat and Rodent Deterrent Device Model RC-4. Leave the hood open if possible.

Comment

I had mice and rats get under the hood of my Tacoma at the lease in Mexico. Opened the door and mucho malo!! Cowboys told me to leave it at their house because they had a tomcat who lived on mice and rats. Sure as hell it worked, no more rats or mice other than the smell. I loaded the cab with two of the strongest smelling odor killers I could find, wintergreen and lemon. Came back a week later and not so bad other than it smelled like a rotten green lemon but better than rat pizz.
                                I drive up the cowboys house a couple days later and my window was down about halfway out of necessity of course. I literally take ten steps to look at a buck one of the guys had shot, maybe 45 seconds to a minute. Get back to my truck, open the door to be greeted by tomcat love juice!! S**t the Bed, he had slipped in through the window, pizzed on the floormat(weather tech) , jumped over the console and pizzed behind the seat.
                                So now I have a rotten green lemon tomcat love juice smell thoroughly imbedded inside the cab of my pickup. That was in January. I have tried a half dozen different scents in my cab with not a whole lot of luck. None of my friends smoke but would be happy to let them light up a Chesterfield or Camel if they asked.
                                Wife came home yesterday with a new scent to try. She said it is called Manliness or something like that. So this afternoon my truck smells like a rotten green lemon tomcat love juice guy with BO. I GIVE UP.

Comment

Working...
                                X