Educate me on Protein Feeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on Protein Feeding

I am going to start feeding protein and would like some opinions. I live in Houston and hunt in Motley county so the drive limits the time I can be there to fill/maintain the feeders.

I am going to go with a 2000 lbs. capacity or higher feeder to hopefully keep it going in between trips. Not really looking for feedback on brands of feeder at the moment.

I am trying to decide if i should feed year round or feed at strategic times. I assume it is beneficial to feed it year round but how much more beneficial is it? If not year round, when would it be best to feed protein?

Also, I am going back and forth on doing a free choice with coon hoods or a timed unit. My concern on the free choice feeders is them getting emptied too fast. For those who feed free choice, how long does the feed last typically? I know there are way too many factors to get a hard and true number that will apply to the property I hunt vs. the property you hunt, but asking so I know kinda what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

2,000lbs should last quite awhile, even with high deer density. One trip per month would definitely keep it going. One trip every two months might keep protein in it. Free Choice, year round is best IMO. But for sure Post Rut and throughout the growing season. January - September.

Comment

Yep if you can't feed year round start now and feed through august at least.

Oh also don't change types of feed or % it will jack with them they have a very sensitive pallet. Keep it the same.

Comment

This is solid advice so far^^^^. Nothing to add really.

Comment

whatever feeder you go with I strongly encourage you to consider CoonHoods. If you think coons can’t waste up to half of your protein your wrong!
          COONHOOD IS A VARMINT GUARD SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PROTIEN FEEDERS. OUR GOAL IS TO DESIGN A COONHOOD FOR EVERY DIFFERENT BRAND OF PROEITN FEEDER

Comment

Thanks guys for the input

Comment

Originally posted by COONHOOD View Post
              whatever feeder you go with I strongly encourage you to consider CoonHoods. If you think coons can’t waste up to half of your protein your wrong!
              Www.coonhood.com

Not sure why I’m just now checking out your products but man, that looks legit!

Comment

We have 15 protein feeders on our place some 2000# and some 5000# they all change on how fast they empty depending on rain and how green it is at the time. I have seen my feeders go empty in 2 weeks or sometimes it last 3 months. All our feeders are free choice and we start we feed Jan-Oct to help get the weight on. We feed 20% and the deer like it, but never change once they start eating it.

Comment

I feed free choice year round, but how quickly they empty the feeders depends on how much natural vegetation they have to eat. They prefer the natural vegetation first and go to the protein when that runs low. If you can't feed year round, I concur that you should try to at least feed from January through August.

Comment

I feed free choice on 463 acres with 1 feeder, we have a medium deer density and go thru 500 lbs per week. I start the end of Jan and quit the first of Oct. When the does have fawns and the horns are growing, it has taken 4 years to see any benefits from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                      Not sure why I’m just now checking out your products but man, that looks legit!

Glad you got the chance to check them out. CoonHoods are still very new to the market but are gaining traction quickly as folks are figuring out they can literally save you $thousands. But Don’t take my word for it. Search CoonHoods here on TBH and see for yourself what others have experienced. Now that protein season is starting back up Our shop is filling up quickly so don’t delay.

Learn more at

COONHOOD IS A VARMINT GUARD SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR PROTIEN FEEDERS. OUR GOAL IS TO DESIGN A COONHOOD FOR EVERY DIFFERENT BRAND OF PROEITN FEEDER

Comment

Thank yall for the suggestions.

Comment

Our Biologist told us not to feed protein after September so we fed Feb-Sept. He told us if we had protein left in the feeders in September to block them off so they can't eat it. He said that you want them putting on fat to go into the Winter with and corn is better for that than protein.

Comment

Question about feeder placement - should the feeder be in an isolated area, away from stands, or is it okay to put near a corn feeder??? Thoughts?

Comment

Feed it until you go broke. Then go to the bank, get a loan and feed some more

Comment

Working...
                              X