East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
    For those who are going to brave the wind and cold I am going to reference Steve's thread on pressured deer. He talks about the corner effect and how deer reposition as the wind shifts making them vulnerable during that short period of time. For most of you the wind is likely already shifted, but I wanted to add an observation to Steve's point. I am able to watch deer year around here at the house and have witnessed this corner effect many times. As the bucks are already beginning to get back into their bachelor groups, I have noticed these groups of deer almost always face multiple directions when they bed in a group and usually on the edge of a slight rise or ridge. This makes it very hard to stalk a deer.
    Great info Captain. Thanks for the reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tree Phantom View Post
      Great job and good shootin'! I'm sure all the folks up and down the creek appreciate your efforts.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	926678E1-C96F-44DF-A65B-2ACF246DB36E.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	24701615

Latest I have ever punched a tag in East Texas, just a broken up old man that I have passed twice in early November then had a close encounter around Thanksgiving where I almost shot him with both my daughters in the stand. On what was going to be my last hunt of the season, possibly the last ever on this piece of property, I decided it would be a fitting end to this chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
          [ATTACH]1114149[/ATTACH]

Latest I have ever punched a tag in East Texas, just a broken up old man that I have passed twice in early November then had a close encounter around Thanksgiving where I almost shot him with both my daughters in the stand. On what was going to be my last hunt of the season, possibly the last ever on this piece of property, I decided it would be a fitting end to this chapter.
          Nice

Comment

Congrats to ya!

J

Comment

[ATTACH]1114149[/ATTACH]

Fantastic. Congrats on the late season punch.

Comment

[ATTACH]1114191[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1114192[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1114193[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1114194[/ATTACH]

Not a giant by any means but a mature East Texas bully of a deer. Every time we saw him he had broken more off. Riley my 6 year old has logged a little over 50Hrs in the stand with me this year. We shot that deer today from the same spot I killed my first deer 25 years ago. With any luck we will get to keep the lease long enough for her to get her first deer in the same spot, but if not we went out on a high note and will find somewhere new to keep it going.

Comment

North East Texas Buck

I was blessed to harvest this guy back on 12/15 up in NE Texas.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by turkeyhunter1; 12-29-2022, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Nice bucks, and a great story

Comment

Congrats guys.

Bummer about the broken beam. But still cool deer.

J

Comment

I would like to know how you guys pull in deer like these. I never see deer on my place in Harrison County. I guess there is too much pressure with the hunting leases and neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                          I would like to know how you guys pull in deer like these. I never see deer on my place in Harrison County. I guess there is too much pressure with the hunting leases and neighbors.
                          You can't kill deer like this if the "ya' cain't eat da horns" folks keep shooting them when they're legal but 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                            All of my properties are small. 40 acres or so. On 40, I MIGHT hunt and penetrate 5-6 acres. The rest is off limits. I probably average 1 gun hunter per 15-20 acres. But they blow them off their property by 2nd weekend. I hold the deer, but still don’t mean they are huntable. I only
                            Hunt when it’s perfect and usually get 4-5 sits per property a season and I feel they are done

You can’t hunt small property the same as large tracts. And even then big land is useless if it’s getting stomped through weekly and offers no safe zone

Comment

Had a cool one show up last week that I haven't seen since late summer, if that beam wasn't broke off he might be in trouble...he has been all over the cam every dang morning too lol

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                All of my properties are small. 40 acres or so. On 40, I MIGHT hunt and penetrate 5-6 acres. The rest is off limits. I probably average 1 gun hunter per 15-20 acres. But they blow them off their property by 2nd weekend. I hold the deer, but still don’t mean they are huntable. I only
                                Hunt when it’s perfect and usually get 4-5 sits per property a season and I feel they are done

You can’t hunt small property the same as large tracts. And even then big land is useless if it’s getting stomped through weekly and offers no safe zone
                                Mine is about the same size. All I ever do is run 2 corn feeders year round.
                                1. Should I continue to run the corn feeders or should I shut them off after season?
                                2. Should I try protein?
                                3. Should I burn the property or let it grow? It is pines with a lot of underbrush. A tornado in 2017 wiped out most of my hardwoods and the underbrush and briars are so thick you cannot walk around in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X