East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fooser View Post
    Following…. I have the exact same issue… hogs and a bear showed up and the deer have not been back.

I did switch protein brand in my last fill. Not intentional, but all they had in inventory had some berry scent/extract. Prior to that, hogs didn’t really go after the protein.
    When our Bears show up i put honey out seems to help

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskool67 View Post
      Like I mentioned in an earlier post this is my first season on a lease. After putting out protein for a couple of weeks I was getting some pretty consistent buck pics. Well the hogs found the protein. No more buck pics, at least not where I’m feeding. Still picking a couple up away from the feed. Besides a pen, any suggestions ? Thanks
      You gotta stay on the hogs and shootem in the earhole. Feed pens and traps are better investments than feeding without.

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
        What kind of protein?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Treeline 16% protein pellets at Tractor Supply. I've tried different ones (Purina, Record Rack, and Top Score) but this is the one the deer hanging around our properties seem to really like

Comment

[ATTACH]1095912[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1095913[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
            We did too

We haven’t been shut down yet, but got a letter expanding burn ban to include mowing, brush hog, or parking/driving off of the main roads…so just about but not quite shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by NewBallCoach View Post
              [ATTACH]1095912[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1095913[/ATTACH]
              Nice group. Thanks for showing.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
                We haven’t been shut down yet, but got a letter expanding burn ban to include mowing, brush hog, or parking/driving off of the main roads…so just about but not quite shut down.

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                  Same

You can add us to that list. I'm just grateful we can still go.

As dry as it is mowing isn't really isn't something we even have to worry about right now.

Comment

Who do yall lease from to get shut out. I haven't heard anything from our boss yet

Comment

Hopefully yall get some of this rain or some rain real soon.

We took the kids to Gator Country today in Beaumont and came home to some nice heavy stuff in New Waverly. Some of our neighboring ranches that recently brought their hay in looked like scorched earth. If you hadn’t been living in this drought you would have thought they had sprayed herbicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                        Who do yall lease from to get shut out. I haven't heard anything from our boss yet
                        It's really dangerous right now to be out with equipment. I put out protein on Tuesday shut us down Thursday. Our place is very dry and on top of that the sprayed hundreds of acres

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskool67 View Post
                          Like I mentioned in an earlier post this is my first season on a lease. After putting out protein for a couple of weeks I was getting some pretty consistent buck pics. Well the hogs found the protein. No more buck pics, at least not where I’m feeding. Still picking a couple up away from the feed. Besides a pen, any suggestions ? Thanks

Put the pens up. Don’t do what I did and fight it for years.

First year I put them up, I had a ~130” 10pt that would come in every evening and lay down and sleep for a while inside the pen.

I soon realized and am still seeing that our deer see the pens as sanctuaries from the hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            It's really dangerous right now to be out with equipment. I put out protein on Tuesday shut us down Thursday. Our place is very dry and on top of that the sprayed hundreds of acres

We have a no mowing ruling right now and to be careful where you park if on vegetation.

We had ~1000 acres burn in the 2010-2011 drought and I carry a small fire extinguisher on my SXS now. It was required back then, but just makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              We have a no mowing ruling right now and to be careful where you park if on vegetation.

We had ~1000 acres burn in the 2010-2011 drought and I carry a small fire extinguisher on my SXS now. It was required back then, but just makes sense.
                              Yes sir I carried one with me on Tuesday

Comment

We got some pretty decent rain at our place today, but it’s all soaked in already.

Comment

Working...
                                X