Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockinHB View Post
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first post, and the reason I chose to join this forum is just what this post is about. The members here defend people for their choices about harvest and generally only throw out “ he needed another year” in good natured jest. How many of us had our 1st deer be a fully mature cull or trophy? A trophy animal much like a trophy spouse is in the eye of the beholder. Please keep it real and keep the support for our favorite pastime. GOD bless y’all.

Henry

Welcome in, and yes the "he needed another year" is pretty much just a running joke here.

Comment

There is a bestseller called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" by Mark Manson. I highly suggest it to anyone that likes to read.

It sounds like its about being apathetic but that's not the case at all. It teaches us that to be happy we can only GAF so much and that when we waste them on trivial things like what you are talking about it we miss out on the real important things. It's also mentally exhausting to GAF about everything.

So you gotta pick where you GAF.

It's a solid read, little crude but my preacher read it too lol.

Comment

It's insanity. Some guy just posted a picture of his son with a deer he shot off his back porch before school. 90% of the comments were complimentary, but then some jagoff had to go the, "Dude, that's a young buck. You have got to start letting them mature." route.

No, you don't have to do anything. It obviously depends on where you're hunting and what your goals for the property are. There are certain places where management simply isn't possible and shooting a nice 3-yr-old 8pt is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinHB View Post
          Hi everyone,
          This is my first post, and the reason I chose to join this forum is just what this post is about. The members here defend people for their choices about harvest and generally only throw out “ he needed another year” in good natured jest. How many of us had our 1st deer be a fully mature cull or trophy? A trophy animal much like a trophy spouse is in the eye of the beholder. Please keep it real and keep the support for our favorite pastime. GOD bless y’all.

Henry
          Welcome to TBH....

Rule #1 of TBH- Harvests are for fruits, vegetables and cotton...

We kill, shoot, whack, smack, stack, thwaaack, smoke, thump, zip and let the air out of animals [emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
            I was on the book of faces and ran across a picture of a young lady with a deer. She was showing off her first buck. As I read the comments it ticked me off. One after another after another telling her she should have let that deer live for 2 or 3 more years and how she is the problem with hunting. It made me sick to my stomach that this is where we are with hunting now. She killed a LEGAL buck and is catching nothing but grief for it. People that have never met her and have no idea where she hunts jumping in on the dog pile. Stop it people! This younger generation obviously has no idea what the hunting tradition should be. It dang sure shouldn't be ridiculing anyone that killed a legal deer. It happens every single day right here on this forum. Someone posts a picture of a deer they are hunting and here comes the dog-pile telling him he NEEDS to let him walk a few more years. It's deer hunting people. Follow the laws, grow up, and mind your own business and it would be much more pleasant.

Man, did you hit this one out of the park.

When I started deer hunting, if someone got a deer you said congrats and moved on.

Today, some special ed people get on the, "you should have let him walk a few more years," bandwagon.

If the hunting community does not learn to come together, we're going to lose this privileged.

Comment

I was on the book of faces and ran across a picture of a young lady with a deer. She was showing off her first buck. As I read the comments it ticked me off. One after another after another telling her she should have let that deer live for 2 or 3 more years and how she is the problem with hunting. It made me sick to my stomach that this is where we are with hunting now. She killed a LEGAL buck and is catching nothing but grief for it. People that have never met her and have no idea where she hunts jumping in on the dog pile. Stop it people! This younger generation obviously has no idea what the hunting tradition should be. It dang sure shouldn't be ridiculing anyone that killed a legal deer. It happens every single day right here on this forum. Someone posts a picture of a deer they are hunting and here comes the dog-pile telling him he NEEDS to let him walk a few more years. It's deer hunting people. Follow the laws, grow up, and mind your own business and it would be much more pleasant.

Agree with everything except it being the "younger generation". I've seen a lot of older folks leading the charge in the "he needed another year" conversation. I don't think it's an age thing as much as a problem with people pushing their own agenda on others. I like shooting bigger, older deer, but I sure as heck won't begrudge someone for shooting a smaller buck if that's what keeps them in the sport and lets them enjoy the outdoors.

Comment

No doubt....my dad is getting older and only makes a hunt or 2 a year. He asks me everytime what to shoot and I tell him everytime anything that gets your heart going. I feed more than enough deer every year to shoot what we want as long as its legal.

Comment

Can we drop "BOF" and start calling it what it really is...assfacebook?

Comment

I will admit I sometimes see pictures of deer that make me cringe (i.e. young) but I always bite my tongue because it's simply not my place to say anything.

Now if it's kid or someone's first deer I will always offer up a congratulations. Someone that just picks at people for the sake of being an ******* doesn't need to call themselves a hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Welcome to TBH....

We kill, shoot, whack, smack, stack, thwaaack, smoke, thump, zip and let the air out of animals [emoji41]
                      You forgot "SCHLOCK!", got include the Tim Wells fans in thread like this.

Comment

Here's what I tell people when they get high and mighty on the "should have let him walk" topic:

Let's say there are 1,235,112 deer in the state.

If you shoot a buck, regardless of age/score, there are now 1,235,111 deer in the state.

If that deer made you happy, then who cares whether he reached his max potential....there's still one less deer whether you killed a 4 pt or a 14 point.

(Obviously this theory doesn't apply if you agreed to a set of management rules for the place you are hunting).

Comment

Welcome to TBH....

Love it. 👌will do better next time

Comment

All of that was alive and well right here on TBH up until a few years ago. Gladly it is almost nonexistent these days.
                            That attitude comes from the whole antler management movement that really took off about 15 years ago. Now everyone thinks their a game manager professional

Comment

Welcome to TBH....

Technically it is possible to harvest a deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot deer because I like to eat them, not because I like to put them on my wall. That means I'll shoot whatever I feel like as long as it is legal. I'll feed my family with it and not give a rat's (you know what) if he needed another year. To me, another year might mean he/she doesn't eat as good .

Comment

Working...
                                X