No announcement yet.

Stands on Public Lands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just depends in the set i plan on hunting. A lot of times i lll pack in day before i hunt and back out. I hunt on top of bedding a lot so i try to be super quiet and in and out. Ill hunt a spot once maybe twice but normally pack out and plan my next hunt pretty quick. Ill be setting my stand tonight to hunt the a.m. i did go with a very expensive light weight climber and lock ons. I like my muddy lock on woth lone wolf climbing sticks when im in a area with trees i cant use my climber or not many straight trees. Sometimes its easier to pack my lock on too.

Comment

check out the public land guys on midwest whitetail.....they have a video on getting their stand up quick and they carry loc ons and sticks.

Aaron and Zach discuss the tree stand setup they use for hang and hunts on public land. This system is lightweight and made for the mobile treestand hunter....

Kyler Moppert from Louisiana Bowhunter demonstrates and hang and hunt processes with climbing sticks and hang on stand
      Last edited by chris1911; 10-25-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

I used to leave stands up and hunt them over and over again and have had some success but I've gotten more into the idea of being mobile and always hunting different spots, based on fresh sign. I also think the specific tree you hunt is very important and because wind direction and other factors can change from day to day, I always want to be able to move where I think I have the best odds of killing something. So, I use a lone wolf and 3 sticks each hunt. If I hunt an afternoon and plan to hunt there the next morning because conditions are the same, I would probably leave everything in the tree. As an aside, it's kind of an adventure and good workout.

Comment

I lived in Missouri for 4 years and hunted a ton of public land. I always tried to get as far back as possible and always had my climber on my back wherever I went. Never left anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishtank401 View Post
            Yea not a bad idea I'll use it definitely but I would love to get a range finder tho I had a buddy bet me I wouldn't pick a bunch of blood and hair into a pile on the ground from after we cleaned a hog needless to say I didn't do it and isn't get a range finder [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I’ve got a spare that I’ll let go cheap($50 shipped to your door) if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hike the stand in, hang it and hunt it. Hike it back out when I leave. Repeat. These light aluminum stands and steps are awesome. I strap it all to my pack and go.

Comment

I’ve seen people haul in ladder lock on stands for just evening sits. I reckon if you can get into an area without boogering it up and throw up a lock on you could hunt it for 72hours. My personal opinion - don’t limit yourself to one spot on NF and WMA’s. Be mobile. Doesn’t take much to push deer across a creek or ridge at times.

Comment

My respect just went up even more for you public land guys. WOW! Just adds to the true reward after working so hard to bag a public land deer.

Comment

I’ve been hauling a lone wolf climber on my back for several years. My spots are usually over a mile in and I’ve lost trail cameras back there. If they’ll take a camera they’ll dang sure take a $300 stand. The ONLY way I leave a stand is in the evening and I know I’ll be back to hunt first thing in the AM.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                      I’ve got a spare that I’ll let go cheap($50 shipped to your door) if you’re interested.

Oh I definitely am! Brand name?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Many people do not follow the rules. I find stands all the time that have been there all season, some for multiple years.

I haul mine in on a game cart usually on a Friday hunt. Chain it to the tree overnight, and haul it out after a Saturday evening hunt.

Comment

Most of my public land hunting over the years has been out of a climber. I had a pretty good system down and would be carrying close to 50-60lbs. worth of gear on my back including my bow. I would carry it in 1-3 miles to my spot. I have now recently switched to be more mobile and be able to hunt more areas. I now carry a hawk tree stand and have 6 climbing sticks. I don't typically take all 6 sticks, but I can if needed. Packing light, being comfortable, and staying mobile is key on public land. I carry out my stand and sticks after every sit unless I'm coming back the following day.

Comment

I used to use a climber which I packed in and out everyday. I still do just not as much. I moved to millennium lock-ons with the receiver. Once I get my set up dialed in I leave the receiver in the tree and pack my stand and steps out every weekend. The next trip out I can have my lock on hung ready to hunt in less than 10 minutes. During archery season I'll have around 5 receivers set up for spots to hunt depending on wind. I use the same method when I hunt out of state. Anything you leave out there for an extended period of time you risk it coming up missing. I once came out for lunch and came back to my stand being missing.

Comment

I think alot of it has to do with where the stand is. Did you flag it? Are you making a trail for others to follow? We used a gamecart last time out to bring my stand in. I chained it to a tree. When we came in the next day, my partner didn't even see it and we walked right past it. It's hard to find stuff out there. I know. I've lost track of my stuff and I knew where it was. The farther back you are, the safer.

If I am hunting morning and evening hunts back to back to back, I'll leave the stand on the tree. It may be light, but not as light as me walking in without it. If I'm that concerned, I can padlock it to the tree. I doubt another hunter who happens to be looking for a spot is carrying bolt cutters.

Comment

Yes sir. Take a climbing stand in and out every time. I have used a bicycle to ride in if there is a trail or road way that is gated or blocked. If you shoot one, then you have the bike to drape it over and push it out. However, most of the time, I am not miles off of a main road.

Comment

Working...
                                X