No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ and Caddo are not BLM... they are USFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
      The requirement for wearing orange in transit originates from ACE regulations I believe. I think it is also ACE rules that allow bow hunting without orange.. except when gun seasons are open. Since on many lands hogs can be hunted during bow season, the requirement basically means you would have to wear orange during any time except for turkey and migratory birds. I may be confusing ACE with some WMA rules but none of these apply to LBJ. The one that originally confused me was that you couldn't shoot does on USFS lands without a permit. But that applies to the forests in east Texas. LBJ AND CADDO are BLM.
      LBJ and Caddo are USFS lands. They do not do doe permits anymore. Instead the have doe days typically during thanksgiving weekend. You are also allowed to take doers during archery season. You also do not have to wear orange during archery season. During general season you will be required to wear orange even when bow hunting.

Comment

Well if y’all see the bushes moving, it is just me going to my next spot. Instead of hiking in a bunch of stands and blinds (I mainly use a ghostblind) and crap this year. It’s gonna be my weapon, my ghillie and enough food and water to get me thru the sit. Will be able to go in deep this year.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
          Going to get a few new cameras probably in the next few weeks. What do yall recommend that hurt the wallet to much just in case of theft but still works well enough to get the job done. They done have to take the best pics in the world. Just need something that with be clear enough to see what we got.
          I see you finally joined

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
            LBJ and Caddo are USFS lands. They do not do doe permits anymore. Instead the have doe days typically during thanksgiving weekend. You are also allowed to take doers during archery season. You also do not have to wear orange during archery season. During general season you will be required to wear orange even when bow hunting.
            Thanks for correcting that. Not sure what I was thinking there but I'm glad I have that straight now. I went to the website, which I'd looked at early summer. Yep, USFS. I tried to edit the post to take out the incorrect information but I was too late. Was this BLM land back in the 60s?

I hate putting out bad information. That's what I get for working off memory instead of checking to make sure.
            Last edited by jnd1959; 09-25-2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtaps View Post
              I see you finally joined

I won’t use anything but browning dark ops...
              They are a black flash, so if you hide them well and set them up away from normal traffic you stand a good chance of them never being stolen.
              They aren’t the cheapest, but the quality is way above the price point.

Comment

Originally posted by jbhunting39 View Post
                Well if y’all see the bushes moving, it is just me going to my next spot. Instead of hiking in a bunch of stands and blinds (I mainly use a ghostblind) and crap this year. It’s gonna be my weapon, my ghillie and enough food and water to get me thru the sit. Will be able to go in deep this year.

I’ve got an ASAT leafy suit and a all predators kill suit. I sometimes do the same thing.

Comment

How many do a all day sit? Never worked out at my familys ranch but never tried on public.

Comment

Lol. You guys are trying to hard. Just walk out. There are plenty of deer. Unless, you are looking for a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin_mud View Post
                      How many do a all day sit? Never worked out at my familys ranch but never tried on public.

I will at certain food sources.
                      If I have a single white oak, in good cover, dropping and basically all other oaks a void of acorns I will consider it. Same goes for persimmons, and sometimes even black locust pods.

Early season, when it is still hot, you can sometimes get a mid day visit to water if it is in good cover as well.

My more common strategy is to have a morning stand and an evening stand picked out that I can still hunt a couple hours between without messing up either setup.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin_mud View Post

I try to plan on 3-5 hours per sit or stalk, sometimes longer if the weather is nice.
                        I have made a declaration that I will harvest at least 50z% or more of the meat we consume next year instead of buying it from the store, so I may be in for some all day and all nighters to fill that quota lol. It should not be too hard. We eat/buy on average 5-10 lbs of meat a week from store.
                        52 weeks x 10=520 lbs of meat. That’s 260 lbs on my hat to pull down next year. Very doable!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          I’ve got an ASAT leafy suit and a all predators kill suit. I sometimes do the same thing.

Ya'll are brave men. I guess i'm old n conservative. Every year some well camo'd hunter gets killed by an inexperienced, overly excited point n shoot hunter. Last year, a kid up North got shot sitting in a tree stand. Mind boggling! I'll be lit up like a flourescent pumpkin on the way in and will don the cap 24/7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JB3 View Post
                            Ya'll are brave men. I guess i'm old n conservative. Every year some well camo'd hunter gets killed by an inexperienced, overly excited point n shoot hunter. Last year, a kid up North got shot sitting in a tree stand. Mind boggling! I'll be lit up like a flourescent pumpkin on the way in and will don the cap 24/7.

There’s a benefit to hiking in further than other people are willing to. I like getting way on out there.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                              There’s a benefit to hiking in further than other people are willing to. I like getting way on out there.

Same here. It usually only takes the 1st 100-300 yards from the access point before you start leaving everyone behind. [emoji125]

Comment

Originally posted by JB3 View Post

I am pretty good about wearing my orange unless I know no one else is around. I work for myself so I get to go a lot during the week. A lot of times I am by myself out there unless someone goes with me.
                                Deer do not have red cones in Their eyes anyway. Orange is in the red light spectrum. They see in the green and blue spectrum way better. Early morning and late evening are when the blue light spectrum is the strongest hence they move better then becuz they can see and are crepuscular animals.

Comment

Working...
                                X