.308 vs 300 Blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    Charlie I’m confused. A 220 grain bullet at 1050 fps makes no difference on the cartridge it’s launched from.

I can easily push a 220 grain bullet faster than supersonic with my 300BO even out of an 8” barrel.

Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike, my post was a bit confusing... I didn't meant to reference only subsonic rounds... The capacity for propellant is just greater in a .308 cartridge than the 300BO giving you more flexibility to load heavier bullets with various powders that are slower burning. You are right in that identical projectiles traveling at the same speed upon exiting the barrel should perform the same regardless of the cartridge.

Comment

Heck Mike, good as I am at this, I may apply to be a press secretary!!

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
        Have a couple of .308s, never had a problem, and never had anything run very far.

Trade me one lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Mike, my post was a bit confusing... I didn't meant to reference only subsonic rounds... The capacity for propellant is just greater in a .308 cartridge than the 300BO giving you more flexibility to load heavier bullets with various powders that are slower burning. You are right in that identical projectiles traveling at the same speed upon exiting the barrel should perform the same regardless of the cartridge.
          While I dislike the 300 blackout, it truly is better suited for loading subs. Excess case capacity and low powder charges to stay subsonic can be dangerous. That’s about the only way a blackout shines lol. I have a 9” SBR blackout. I had SOLGW build it long ago when it first came out. Super underwhelming performance on game. Head and neck shots only for me. I’ve actually been considering getting a 16-18” 308 for taking on my buggy. Sling some 125s fast AF and let it eat.

OP, just get the 308.

Better yet, get the Lords 308. A 300 win mag 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            While I dislike the 300 blackout, it truly is better suited for loading subs. Excess case capacity and low powder charges to stay subsonic can be dangerous. That’s about the only way a blackout shines lol. I have a 9” SBR blackout. I had SOLGW build it long ago when it first came out. Super underwhelming performance on game. Head and neck shots only for me. I’ve actually been considering getting a 16-18” 308 for taking on my buggy. Sling some 125s fast AF and let it eat.

OP, just get the 308.

Better yet, get the Lords 308. A 300 win mag [emoji1787]

I might as well go to the 300 win mag! Lol [emoji23]

Comment

I thought the 300 BO was designed to shoot turtles in ponds?

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                I thought the 300 BO was designed to shoot small turtles in little ponds?

FIFY!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                  Is the recoil about the same? I also liked the 300 for my wife to shoot
                  I'm late to the party, but agree with all the others. My wife shoots 308 and tolerated it fine. I put a muzzle brake on it and she likes it a lot better. It'll get a suppressor soon for the final config. I think suppressed is the way to go for wives and 308's.

Comment

I thought the 300 bo was to have an improved mp5?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	6549D28D-1651-463D-843E-F0B7C1E14D02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	24686887

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                      [ATTACH]1093904[/ATTACH]

Sweet rig!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                        .308 is probably one of the best all-purpose rounds there is. It will take down darn near anything you want in North America and the Ammo is easy to find.

100% this.

Comment

Anything in an automatic is going to have manageable recoil. .308 is designed to kill large mammals at range. A specific kind of mammal lol but the round doesn’t mind what it kills.

Comment

If your not shooting subs with a suppressor blk out is kind of pointless. Other stuff does the same thing better

Comment

Originally posted by Anon View Post
                              [ATTACH]1093904[/ATTACH]
                              I’m trying to build basically this

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                                If your not shooting subs with a suppressor blk out is kind of pointless. Other stuff does the same thing better

That can be said for many popular cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X