Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellowfin Tuna - Offshore November / Interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear you’re not going Randy. Hope and pray your health issues get resolved with no problems.

Bish, glad you’re joining us.

Comment

One of these days

Comment

You guys don’t let fear stop you. I was like you guys and had nothing capable of tuna. I mall you gotta do is ask and you will have something to fish with. Look at the pictures of everyone up top plenty of rods. One thing that you may want to get is a few Ahi Assault jigs in glow color in 4 and 8 ounce. I like the ones with the single assist hook but they all work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          I’m in! I am in touch with Chuck to get my deposit paid. I don’t have gear, so will be depending on help in that dept.

Can’t wait!!!!!

And Randy, I hope you get your health issues straightened out ASAP!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Glad your joining us! I'll bring my extra gear and there will plenty more! Pick up a few lures like Glen suggested and you'll be good! Just be warned this tuna stuff is addicting!!!

Comment

Looks like an epic trip for certain. Living large and eating like kings. Do y'all charter a Dolphin dock captain or just launch from there? Last tuna trip we did out of port A was with DD and we only filled half the boat. Battled 10ft seas to get out to the cervesa rig but it was on fire as soon as we dropped the first diamond jig down. Great times and enjoyed the pics.

Comment

Guys I’m leaving out of country so if you decide maybe contact Doug. I’m not sure how many spots are left now if any. If interested better speak up quick

I have fish Venice and caught blackfin on a YFT trip. This trip is 2 nights fishing for less than a single day fishing out of Venice
              Last edited by glen; 09-08-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

That’s a trip I’m always jealous of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                  One of these days
                  Yeah, yeah, yeah!

You need to do this! Great adventure with a great group of guys! I have some gear to borrow if we figure out how to get it to you in time, but the boat has rod/reels...just not the best.

Comment

Those who are jumping aboard - welcome to the Texas Tuna Circus! This trip is truly a lifetime experience - comment made by literally everyone who has sailed offshore with this group for the first time. We have a core group who make this trip annually and others who can't make it due to personal reasons and schedules. Gonna miss Burnadell this year - he's our number one CORN SLINGER offshore and our ADULT SUPERVISION.

The boat has cold storage for drinks - commercial refrigeration. In the galley is a hot dog roller, crock pot, coffee pot (Keurig), hot plate, microwave and a propane fired BBQ pit which gets fired up out on deck on the fantail (aft end). We bring piles of food, beer, water, Gatorade, snacks, condiments as well as eat Sushi and or Poke (Glen's got that dialed in).

Basically we live like Pirates - all for one and one for all!

Fishing becomes literally non-stop. Nightime, we drift next to offshore floaters in 3,000 - 9,000ft of water and fish for tuna and everything else drawn to the bait and lights these rigs create. There will be no moon, so the boat and rig are the beacons of light, which will draw flying fish, squid into our zone followed by pelagics.

We have spotted squid well over 12ft long, sharks up to 15ft, marlin up and over 600lbs, whales, swordfish, barracuda, mahi mahi and 3 different tuna species (Bigeye, Blackfin and Yellowfin)......dozens of various smaller fish - fish larger than bass or catfish though for a sizing comparison.....just to name a few critters.

You will catch fish. And you will catch a lot of fish if you stay on deck and grind through the night. We nap during the day but.....during the day, we troll with outriggers chasing pelagics just like any other sportfisher does, running a spread with outriggers and flat lines targeting anything that will run down our baits.

The boat has decent rods, leaders, hooks and bait to cover. Many of us bring our own gear and it covers the setups, especially the trolling setups. On the troll, we have hooked 4 - 5 good quality yellowfin tuna at the same time. On one occasion, a massive blue marlin chased down Glen's 60-70lb class yellowfin as he fought that fish, only to lose it to the blue marlin, who killed and ate his tuna at the stern. All I can say is.....that marlin was massive and we witnessed something rarely ever scene.

Items we typically take:

We haul a cooler and fill that with food and drinks. So by the time it's all added up, we have a load of chow on the boat to feed everyone and the crew.

There are bunks for each. Some bring bedrolls and items to make sleeping comfortable. I typically fish till I drop, so comfort isn't part of the equation to fall asleep. And typically it's an hour to 2 hour nap or so. On the sail back into port, we all sack out for a few hours before returning to port.

Lures that are typically used for tuna.

Top is the FRENZY FLYING FISH. They come in Pink and or White/Blue. Both colors work and I typically use the GLOW IN THE DARK models. They are casted and or drifted out away from the boat. When these tuna turn on, they will hit these lures randomly out away from the boat.

The bottom lure is a Diamond Glow Jig. Heavier weighted varieties tend to fish better if the fish are down 300ft or so. So typically I use 6 - 8 ounce diamond glow jigs. The lightest I would go with these lures is 4 ounces. All three tuna species have hammered these lures and you can literally fill the deck full of blackfin tuna, when the bite turns on, jigging these lures.

The other ploy is using the boat's circle hooks, baited with a healthy chunk of fresh cut blackfin tuna. This gets eased over the side and you freeline this bait in the lee as we drift along. The crew will toss chunks of blackfin over the side to chum these fish up and in follow of the boat. Many quality yellowfin tuna have taken this simple setup on each trip. And it's the most relaxing way to fish for them until you hook up.

At the hook-up, IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Rob’s post but the Burnadell being the adult supervision comment...... where did that come from?!

Hell, its a group effort just keeping him in check.
                      [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Hard to tell from this image - this Bull Mahi is over 5ft long. Hit my blackfin tuna chunk fishing for yellowfin, at a drill ship at night. Jumped well over a dozen times and ran out line around 300 yards, over and over till the gaff.

Rainbow runner for the Rainbow Warrior

Comment

Burnadell and breakfast.

What happens in the boat, stays in the boat right Burnie?

Comment

Killin me with the pics. Y'all are hooked the F up.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Killin me with the pics. Y'all are hooked the F up.

I agree Bobby. We need to jump on board next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Every trip is different! I cant wait to get back out there!

Comment

Working...
                                X