Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
        Did you get a tape on him yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
        No but rough guess is 470-500

Comment

Congrats!!!! A dream hunt for sure!!!!!

Comment

Sunday (Day 3)- I was hoping after a couple of drinks and food that I would sleep until the sounds of my alarm went off. Not the case, 4am and I’m up. I found it humorous that I had to get up in the middle of the night as a result of roaring stags. Nice problem to have!

After really narrowing down our goals as a result of lots of glassing, I had my sights set on a couple of different stags. The choice was based on a combination of both slot fitment and look. First thing in the morning we headed out to a glassing spot that gave us full view of miles of country. As expected the stag of choice presented himself right below is at about 250-300 yards, we watched him for quite sometime as we were waiting for some sika deer to move off that seemed well positioned to bust up a bow stock. Once the sika moved out we started our descend down and as were 10-15 minutes into the stock we busted a small stag out of some thickets and the stock was over. Back up the mountain we went and glassed the stag until he beaded down in some nasty thick brush (not stockable). Perfect time for lunch.

Our afternoon plan was to go back in the exact same spot, wait for the stag to appear, and stock 2.0 would commence. After about 3-4 hours he finally made an appearance. Luckily we had another group of hunters and guide very close by and they graciously accepted the role of being our eyes. The backside of the mountain was mostly sloped with some zig zagging goat trails with the front face being straight down. As it was obvious the stag was walking around the slope slide we took off like banshees to setup an ambush. When is say slope, I mean slope. We started down the goat trails, zig zagging down the slope with my guide (Liam) leading the way. This young guy is not easy to keep up with as our pace was at a jog. During this descend I lost my footing, fell on my butt, and started sliding with my bow above my head. This is the only way I could ever pass Liam. Amazingly enough the fall was very graceful with my bow above my head and a nice little pop to my feet at the bottom. As we were being captained by our eyes up top we made it a few hundred more yards down a game trail and setup the ambush. Few minutes went by with an expected shot of 30-40 yards. As the giant stag appeared he did something a little unexpected and started to head right to us. At about 15 yards and no possible shot the stag started to sense something was wrong. He then moved perfectly broadside at about 25 yards but was super alert. I decided now or never, I came to my knee, drew and released. It wasn’t a string jump but the stag spooked and turned abruptly right when the arrow released. I could see I hit him but because of the way he turned I could tell it was forward. Now the race was on- a bloody arrow and possible not ideal hit. Luckily our friends up top informed us he was bleeding good and was moving fast. Now our pace was a full sprint all while receiving directions from our friends up top. After about 20 minutes we caught up with him and skirted up a small flat topped hill in where the stag was working his way around. With my heart beating 200 beats per minute, we saw the stag about 36 yards nearly straight below us and I let another arrow fly. This arrow punching the vitals and exiting nearly perfectly sending the stag into a 10 yard stumble and finally falling in view for both us and our friends up top. As I looked up top I could see our friends cheering as they were able to witness all of this go down. Exhausting but absolutely perfect!

Comment

Wow - Great Stag - Good Story

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                How was getting through customs and stuff? Been curious since the shooting? I’m bringing camping stuff so it’s gonna take me forever to go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t have any delays coming back yesterday (NZ time) but they were hyper critical about dirt on my boots. I knew that ahead of time...talking to my outfitter so I hit them a little extra with soap/water and a bristle brush. Everything is a little more heighten... more police presence around Christchurch. No issues but It might be different if your transporting a firearm.

Comment

Congratulations on a brute of a stag! NZ is amazing!

Comment

Congrats!! That’s a huge stag!!

Comment

Congratulations on an epic hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                        I didn’t have any delays coming back yesterday (NZ time) but they were hyper critical about dirt on my boots. I knew that ahead of time...talking to my outfitter so I hit them a little extra with soap/water and a bristle brush. Everything is a little more heighten... more police presence around Christchurch. No issues but It might be different if your transporting a firearm.

Just two bows for me. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Impressive critter!!! Congrats...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X