The 2020 TBH/APR Special Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like its about that time of year again(thanks for reminding me 150Class). This is the thread where we all contribute ideas of what we want this year's TBH special build to look like!

For those that haven't played this game before, we basically collaborate as a group(as best we can) to come up with a custom rifle theme that is unique to this forum. When we get close to settling on some basic design parameters, I start leveraging our group buying power with our vendors and securing us some great deals. What this means for you - you get a great custom rifle at an incredible price. We do this once a year, and only here.

Anything you want to see, put it here! If enough folks want the same features....it will happen. We'll leave this up for about a week to get everyone's input, then start distilling it down into a couple concepts.

My thoughts: It's going to be tough to beat last years build! The weights, the balance and the overall performance checked all the boxes for me in a do everything hunting rig. It was probably the most rifle for the $$ we have ever been able to pull off. We're up for the challenge, though. We have typically done hunting builds, which is just fine with us.....BUT, I'm really itching to do a true long range heavy rig on a big scale at some point, or maybe a PRS style chassis build for a change of pace. But....it's not my choice, its completely up to you guys to decide.

The only thing that is certain is that it will be on a Defiance action this year. Our lefties almost got left out in the cold again last year because our action wasn't ready in time and we don't want that happening again. It will also allow us to offer small boltface options for 223 or its variants. We will probably set a limit on how many we build this time around, but I'll spell it out clearly before we start taking orders.

So TBH/APR 2020 special ideas, GO..............

Whatever it is....count me in again!

I vote long range heavy hitter

Comment

Ultralight hunter hits my want list

Comment

Anything close to last years build gets my vote. I have this in an 18in barrel 308 or 338 Fed in my mind. I don't really have a use for heavy or PRS style. A shorter LOP option would be nice for the wife and kids also. I'm sure whatever this years build is will be great.

Last edited by bloodtrail18; 12-02-2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Last year's builds are about as perfect as they get in a do everything rifle! Absolutely love mine! A long range heavy or a PRS would be cool forsure. Don't really have either so that part is appealing. I also wouldn't mind something like last year's in some sort of 338. No matter what it will be hard to so say no!

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            I’m in for this

Comment

I’d like to see a shorty/PRS hybrid - defiance action, mid-weight short barrel (18-22”), folding chassis (with custom camo options) and I’m envisioning .22-264 calibers for general Texas use.

Would be a really cool truck gun and compact predator rig.

Comment

What about a takedown

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Adjustable comb height would be nice. That’s the only thing I wish my 280ai from last year had.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                    Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                    I’d like to see a shorty/PRS hybrid - defiance action, mid-weight short barrel (18-22”), folding chassis (with custom camo options) and I’m envisioning .22-264 calibers for general Texas use.

Would be a really cool truck gun and compact predator rig.
                    I like where these guys are headed

Comment

An ultra-light doesn’t scare me a bit. The components it would take to do it right are pretty specialized and will push costs and lead times pretty hard, though. And load tuning will become really critical which will leave a small list of cartridge choices for guys that don’t load their own. That said, I’m game if that’s where we end up.

Comment

I didn't get in on last years build, partly due to not having been a member for long on this site.

I would be thrilled to get one of the same packages as last year, I agree those are hard to beat. I've been looking at different Sherman Short cartridges and might be interested in a nice mid to lightweight rifle with a proof CF barrel. I'm set of long range heavier rifles. But lighter more hunting focused rifles would be interesting. I'm not yet that weight sensitive to go all our on Ti build and super light everything. A standard receiver with a CF barrel and a good stock, possibly even with adjustable comb, would be great by me. or some lightweight folding chassis similar to christensen's MPR chassis.

Comment

Personally I don’t care for the chassis. I’d vote for something similar to last years build but with adjustable comb height.

Comment

Save the heavy long range rig for the following year, I’ll defiantly be interested in that. I just bought 2 rifles and I’m already getting ugly looks from momma when I’m surfing the web for scopes. So I’ll have to hold off on the 2020 build...
                            Last edited by STX_Shooter; 12-03-2019, 06:24 AM. Reason: .

Comment

I’m in the camp with the other guys on building another like last year BUT with adjustable comb height. I’ve never been able to put my face on a stock and it not need some height adjustment either by the old fashion way with cushion and tape or stock pack etc. Adjustable Mcmillan Game warden, manners T-A, KRG Bravo chassis, the list goes on.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X