No announcement yet.

Advice on a lab breeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks yall. Are there any more budget minded places? My last lab I got for free at 2 and he would be what many call a finished dog. I trained him myself and gave him good food. Hand signals, steady at the shot. I could run hi. On blind retrievers with no problem.

Comment

If you are going to have high demands expect to pay for it or get real lucky. Go grab a handful of cheap pups or dogs from the shelter and start sorting through them.

Comment

Budget minded dogs can be found and turned into decent hunting dogs. I had one years ago. Got her for 200.00 and she was a duck machine until she had to be put down at 3 yrs old due to genetic health issues. Never again would I buy and invest in a dog that did not come from health tested parents.

I cant even tell you the amount of money I have in my female now between heath testing, vetting, training. She is due to have pups jan 3. I will have over 3k in the stud fee, TCI (artificial insemination), ultrasounds, puppy shots, wormer, declaw removal, not to mention the time missed from work when the litter is born and the work and time that goes into making sure the pups survive the first week. The English CHMH male that she is bred to has to be worth over 100k between show training, gun dog training, hunt test, shows, travel, stud fees that he brings in weekly, etc... It cost money to produce proven healthy dogs.

Comment

I have a litter due 11/30/19 and one due 12/07/19. Top American field trial lines. All parents have hip/eye/elbow clearances, and are EIC and CNM clear.
          Both dams are directly from Field Champion sires. Sire of one litter is Master Hunter and 2019 Master National Qualifier. Sire of the other litter was on the National Derby List, and is Qualified All Age.

Comment

Originally posted by jhunter77 View Post
            Thanks yall. Are there any more budget minded places? My last lab I got for free at 2 and he would be what many call a finished dog. I trained him myself and gave him good food. Hand signals, steady at the shot. I could run hi. On blind retrievers with no problem.
            I personally would not buy another American Breed lab from past experiences. Not all, but the majority of ones I have been around and that has been a bunch are not able to live indoors. Only way I would if I bought an older one and could see their temperament. Puppies a lot of time no way of telling.

British lab is the way I would go. The temperament's are there and non vocal whining.

You are planning on having this dog for 10+ years and go cheap?? Something I take care of 24/7, and have to pay for I want the best. Health clearances and parents to back it up. Alot of good breeders have waiting list. Get on a list put your deposit and then by the time your pup is ready you will have the money.

Yes it can be done with a shelter dog or cheap dog. But, what if they do not work out? You gotta start all over. Not all well bred dogs work out either, but you have a higher chance they will.

Sorry long post, just like talking dogs.

Comment

Wildrose Kennels

Or

Southern Oak Kennels

Comment

Good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Alderrg View Post
                  ........Never again would I buy and invest in a dog that did not come from health tested parents.
                  This, period.

Comment

3M labs in Tigertown, TX.
                    That's where I got my current duck dog. They breed dogs for all sorts of work, hunting, narcotics, bomb detection, military/police use.
                    All around great dogs.
                    Mine is 4 and he is a great duck dog and pet.

Comment

Working...
                    X