Quail trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quail trap

Is trapping quail legal?? Surely not right? My dad and his buddies are always telling stories about when they caught a bunch of quail when they were young and had a big rattle snake in the trap. Just curious

Sure it is...

Comment

Absolutely not legal without proper permits from TPWD.

Comment

It is......... If you don't tell anybody about it[emoji2958]

Comment

But but but....... all these big juicy blues down here are just asking to be grilled!!!

Comment

When I first hunted Foard County in 1967, I was introduced to "pen raised" blue quail. If I didn't get my limit by walking, I always went home with a limit, compliments of my wife's grandfather. Great memories.

Comment

Nope not legal. I would imagine not picking through birdshot is nice though

Comment

Let me ask the prince of poachers and see what he says. Not legal but trapping didn't scare the deer away. Make sure your put an ice pick thru them if you are going to transport them back home.

Comment

I still have a trap!

Comment

Maybe 20 yrs ago I was hunting with some guys and saw a quail trap they kept. Never knew they were illegal. Never been much of a bird hunter.

They would throw it under the feeder while in camp and put it away when not in use. Not smart I guess since they were basically over it while it was in use. Anyways, one day they put it out to catch a bunch of blues that were hammering a feeder. It would fill up and they would return after dark to pick it up. Only one problem ... it was empty .... just feathers. This happened like three times.

Finally one of the guys says “ I’m gonna sit late and see what’s happening to them. Because when I come back to camp for the 4wheeler it’s full “

Turns out it was a badger that was taking the quails chirps for help as a dinner bell.

Forgot about that till this post. What about shooting a badger is that illegal ? Don’t think I would shoot one. They seem pretty neat.

Comment

We have trapped them in Mexico, not sure if it is legal there or not. They sure tasted good.

Comment

Somebody kept one along the rail road right of way across the road from my house. My friends and found it. I suppose it was no more illegal than my dad and I hunting that same right of way on snowy Jan days

Comment

Remember watching my granddaddy put one out when I was real young. Now my dad just raises 500-600 at a time. Butchers half and turns the others out. We got quail on the place again, about 4-5 different coveys.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	07E1FD6F-A0CF-43CB-9FC8-EF83E648AEC7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	24596989

Blue on blue. Took this yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                              Is trapping quail legal?? Surely not right? My dad and his buddies are always telling stories about when they caught a bunch of quail when they were young and had a big rattle snake in the trap. Just curious
                              I build my own, they work great if you set them right

Comment

Working...
                              X