280 AI or 7mm STW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

280 AI or 7mm STW?

Which one and why, I also handload so ammo price is not a factor. Plan to use it for long range hunting and longe range plinking in general.

Originally posted by Ecobeast View Post
    Which one and why, I also handload so ammo price is not a factor. Plan to use it for long range hunting and longe range plinking in general.
    Sounds like you don't need some short and nimble truck gun. If you are cool with a long barrel (28+) then I would go with the STW. If you want to stick in the 24-26" range the .280AI makes sense. I have a couple .257 STWs, a 7mm STW and a plain ol' .280 Rem. (24"). The STWs shine with longer tubes. Slight advantage on brass availability/quality on the .280.

Comment

While both great cartridges, two different beasts IMO. I think the STW really shines once you get into the heavies. The Ackley does really well with 140-168gr pills. For true long range hunting, I would opt for the STW with a fast twist for the 195 Berger.

Comment

Depends on how much plinking. The STW is harder on barrels and harder on you. If it's straight long range hunting then the STW gets the nod. Add in alot of plinking and you will get more barrel life with the AI.

I had an STW and it was fine but if I was doing it over again now I'd probably also be looking hard at the 28 Nosler.

Comment

Depends on the kind of long rang hunting you have in mind. Hiking or spot and stalk I would do the 280AI, more comfortable to pack and shoot in a lighter package. The 7STW in a heavier stock would be legit for long range plinking and blind style hunting, but you wouldn’t want to tote it around all day. I know from experience, 7mag in an ultralight rifle... sucks. STW is gonna pack a little more punch than 7mag, so there is no way I would want to endure that punishment.

Comment

Split the difference

Originally posted by Ecobeast View Post
            Why not split the difference and go with a 7 Rem Mag? It'll do 90% of what a 7mm STW will do with much greater ammo/reloading component availability and less cost. I was thinking along the same lines as you recently and ended up building a 7RM. Hard to beat the old standbys when it comes to practicality. Just my $.02.

Comment

The 280AI will be easier on your shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                Sounds like you don't need some short and nimble truck gun. If you are cool with a long barrel (28+) then I would go with the STW. If you want to stick in the 24-26" range the .280AI makes sense. I have a couple .257 STWs, a 7mm STW and a plain ol' .280 Rem. (24"). The STWs shine with longer tubes. Slight advantage on brass availability/quality on the .280.
                The 7 STW was gonna run a 26" and the 280 AI I was thinking 24" barrel, 280 AI would definitely run the 140 Nosler BT's and the 7 STW would probably run the 168 berger's only because we already have a load developed for the STW, granted it may have to be tweeked or just may not shoot in the 1-10 twist of the 7 STW. Just saw that hornady is now producing Precision Long Range Hunter ammo in the 280AI and the 7 STW now wonder how those would perform. Even making the ammo for my .257 wby mag too may have to give that a try as well.

Comment

Why not split the difference and go with a 7 Rem Mag?
                  My first thought. There's a common cartridge right in between those.

Comment

I had a STW and its not a light kicker for sure but it will reach out there .. 26 nosler would be my choice to do over today .

Comment

I also shoot a STW with 168 gr Bergers it is a hammer at long range shooting !

Comment

A 280AI will do what a 7mag will do, but with a non-belted standard head case. I personally would opt for the 280AI unless you are talking past 1000 yds then I would be looking at either a 7STW, or 28 Nosler if not stepping up to the big 30s. My choice would be the 280AI as its just such a versatile round with a much longer barrel life and lower recoil which would make spotting misses and hits much easier at distance.

Comment

I have a 280 Rem with a 26" that I reload for. It has a medium bull barrel and it's taken animals from 30yrds to over 250yrds. If the 280AI shoots like we've all heard it's a hard caliber to beat and it will kick a lot less than a 7STW.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottFW View Post
                            Why not split the difference and go with a 7 Rem Mag? It'll do 90% of what a 7mm STW will do with much greater ammo/reloading component availability and less cost. I was thinking along the same lines as you recently and ended up building a 7RM. Hard to beat the old standbys when it comes to practicality. Just my $.02.
                            This.

I have a 28 Nosler and while it is definitely a long range hammer a 7rm is no slouch and only a couple hundred fps slower and ammo and brass is much cheaper and much much easier to find. My next purchase will be a 7rm.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                              A 280AI will do what a 7mag will do, but with a non-belted standard head case. I personally would opt for the 280AI unless you are talking past 1000 yds then I would be looking at either a 7STW, or 28 Nosler if not stepping up to the big 30s. My choice would be the 280AI as its just such a versatile round with a much longer barrel life and lower recoil which would make spotting misses and hits much easier at distance.

According to nosler load data, the 280 AI is about 150 FPS slower than a 7 mag, so no the 280 AI wont do what a 7 mag will and, add to the list that ammo is not everywhere and, if you shoot 280 in a pinch you will lose even more power, and 280 is not even as common as a 7 mag.

So i would have to go with the 7 rem mag guys

Comment

Working...
                              X