No announcement yet.

If your kids are into STEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All good career choices. I'm a civil. Not glamorous but as long as people want water to drain and roads to drive on you've got a job. STEM or a good skilled trade is the way to go for sure.

Comment

Good info here. Tagging this for later reading for my sophomore son.

Comment

Nobody should ever get into a profession solely for the potential to get rich. It’s a fast road to being miserable...and also probably not rich. But with the emerging new market and new technologies and economic potential, if a young person is likely pursuing engineering anyway, a little forethought and strategy might actually have a chance to make that getting rich part happen.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          Particularly high school age, have them do some research into materials science and engineering. This will be a developing field with a long career path as the transition to cleaner energy drives forward. As example, ExxonMobil disclosed its R&D budget is focused on fuel cells, advanced biofuels, and decarbonization in manufacturing processes. Each of these will require advancements in materials science and will offer solid career opportunities.
          My son is 14 and a freshman in high school. In his current dual credit class they are doing career exploration. Right now he thinks he wants to do Industrial engineering. I will share this with him.

Thanks!
          Last edited by salth2o; 03-05-2021, 10:08 AM.

Comment

My 14 year old is highly gifted in math/science. We were recently talking about engineering or physics roles he could go into. He asked about Petroleum engineering, and I laughed... then he laughed too...

then I cried.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
              My 14 year old is highly gifted in math/science. We were recently talking about engineering or physics roles he could go into. He asked about Petroleum engineering, and I laughed... then he laughed too...

then I cried.
              Lol

Comment

Industrial & Systems Eng have their place in manufacturing
                Petroleum Eng has its volatility
                Materials Eng has not fully developed in terms of job demand
                Biomedical Eng to me was hyped up for awhile now but similar to materials you don’t see high job demand

To me going the Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or Structural Eng route gives many very wide market options

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  Particularly high school age, have them do some research into materials science and engineering. This will be a developing field with a long career path as the transition to cleaner energy drives forward. As example, ExxonMobil disclosed its R&D budget is focused on fuel cells, advanced biofuels, and decarbonization in manufacturing processes. Each of these will require advancements in materials science and will offer solid career opportunities.

I wanted to publicly acknowledge txpitdog's generosity. My 14 year old son needed to ask some questions to an engineer for his Dual Credit class. txpitdog agreed to help and quickly responded.

Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
                    I wanted to publicly acknowledge txpitdog's generosity. My 14 year old son needed to ask some questions to an engineer for his Dual Credit class. txpitdog agreed to help and quickly responded.

Many thanks!
                    Good going txpitdog, you likely helped out a future Texas Engineer with that class assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post

Many thanks!
                      Glad to help!

Comment

Working...
                      X