No announcement yet.

Tobacco Age Goes Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You same hypocrites that are praising this law would crap in your mess-kit if they tried to move the age to purchase a firearm to 25. It's government overreach, pure and simple. The more we let them take, the less we have. Legal drinking age should be lowered to 18, because that's when you're considered an adult in this country and can make your own decisions....oh, but let's have the government help us. Yeah, right.

Below are the only countries (except for Muslim nations that allow zero alcohol) that have a 21 drinking age (updated 2016):

Côte d'Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Iraq, Kiribati, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Oman, Palau, Samoa, Sri Lanka, United States.

Yeah, great company.

I know this is a thread about cigarettes, but the same applies.

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
      Your obviously a smoker ; )
      If you're referring to me, you're mistaken.

Curt ^ just about summed it up.
      Last edited by BlackHogDown; 06-11-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I agree with Curt and several others. Lots of hypocrites here. I call them "convenient conservatives". They are for smaller government only if it fits their lifestyle and belief system. Otherwise bring on the government control.

Comment

I disagree with doing this. Do I want my kids to grow up and use tobacco? Absolutely not. But if your going to raise then what about raising the age to purchase a rifle to 21? What about not being tried as an adult to 21? Military? Voting? I see the argument of why should a 20 year old be allowed to buy this shotgun if he’s not smart enough to decide to smoke or not for another year? Seems like a slippery slope..

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            They need to move the age that you can join the military or vote then. If you're not mature enough to know what tobacco can do to you at 18 you don't need to be making choices to go fight or war or who's leading our country.
            Gota AGREE..........

and if its 21 0r 18 they got a buddy that can and will buy them for them.Or they will just steal them

Comment

No laws!

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                Good move. Getting tired of paying higher insurance rates for treating all the sicknesses and diseases caused by tobacco. I quit several years ago.
                Agree

Comment

Like most things government they are behind. If they want to focus on something it should be vaping. Vaping is more an issue now for kids than smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    You same hypocrites that are praising this law would crap in your mess-kit if they tried to move the age to purchase a firearm to 25. It's government overreach, pure and simple. The more we let them take, the less we have. Legal drinking age should be lowered to 18, because that's when you're considered an adult in this country and can make your own decisions....oh, but let's have the government help us. Yeah, right.

Below are the only countries (except for Muslim nations that allow zero alcohol) that have a 21 drinking age (updated 2016):

Côte d'Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Iraq, Kiribati, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Oman, Palau, Samoa, Sri Lanka, United States.

Yeah, great company.

Cant agree with you more! Sick and tired of the government trying to protect adults from them selves.

I partially believe that this also stems from this generation and their parents coddling 30 year old adults who still live with their parents. If parents treated their kids like the adults that they are, maybe their would have an idea of how to responsible for their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                      Like most things government they are behind. If they want to focus on something it should be vaping. Vaping is more an issue now for kids than smoking.
                      Vaping is included in the new law

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                        I disagree. Not saying they won’t be able to find it, but I do believe it will make it more difficult. It’s too easy for a senior in high school to buy up tobacco products for younger folks. I don’t know a lot of 18 year olds with 21 year old friends. If it hadn’t been for the seniors, I’d have never gotten my snuff as I didn’t know anyone much older than high school. I think the biggest impact will be less tobacco in schools. It will still be there, but I think it will be a lot more challenging than it used to be.

I think if anything, the age might have been bumped to 19-20. At least get the legal age out of high school for the most part.
                        People are pretty crafty when it comes to securing their vices. What they've done is open up a black market/cottage industry of college age kids making some extra cash on cigs. Prisons don't allow ANY smoking and there they sit, smoking like a mofo. Waste of time IMO. But it looks good, and isn't that what politicians like, especially for the moralistic political subculture of 2019.
                        "It's for the chittren"..... Lip service at best.

Comment

Yeah, great company.

As per usual, Curt's threads are a perfect example of hammer meets nail.
                          We should just quit posting and let Shane and Curt run a blog on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                            People are pretty crafty when it comes to securing their vices. What they've done is open up a black market/cottage industry of college age kids making some extra cash on cigs. Prisons don't allow ANY smoking and there they sit, smoking like a mofo. Waste of time IMO. But it looks good, and isn't that what politicians like, especially for the moralistic political subculture of 2019.
                            "It's for the chittren"..... Lip service at best.

Kids are definitely crafty. And it won’t completely stop the tobacco use in schools. It will be there, just maybe less prevalent and a harder product to reach.

You’re comment on prisoners and smoking is a great example. It’s outlawed, yet there it is. But let’s say if your sentence was <5 years, you’d be allowed to have tobacco products. Any sentence >5 years you can’t have them. Well, because the <5 years guys can have them, it makes it even more accessible now.

I’m not saying I’m for or against it. I don’t really care to be honest. Just being open minded about it and thinking about what’s easily accessible to our youth. I smoked my first cigarette in a barn when I was 14 because my buddy’s older brother had some. Kids will find a way, but I think any action to make it tougher to access in school is better. Now for the folks that are 18, 19, 20....I feel pretty sorry for them. Even though it’s a bad habit and they’ll still get it, it’s a shame a legally acclaimed adult can’t do as they please.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              Another erosion to personally liberty.

Welcome to a broadened nanny state.

The real hypocrisy is it was passed and signed for by so called “conservatives”.
                              Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                              Surprised so many here are happy to see the government taking away our freedoms
                              Originally posted by rtjh View Post
                              I'm sure these are the same lawmakers who are against gambling and weed legalization. Protecting us against ourselves.

Yeah, great company.

All these. All libertarians and conservatives should hate this bill. Meanwhile, they same people continue those BS vehicle inspections. What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                                Good move. Getting tired of paying higher insurance rates for treating all the sicknesses and diseases caused by tobacco. I quit several years ago.
                                Originally posted by TxAg View Post

Agree
                                I assume then, that you would like them to put a minimum age requirement on things like sugar? i'd bet it is directly attributable to many more health problems than tobacco. It is basically poison.

The issue you both have is with the current health insurance/care system, not what a person decides to put into their own body.

Comment

Working...
                                X