No announcement yet.

Arrow Speed vs. Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno but I get real moist hearing my 560gr arras smacking the target...

One benefit of coming from the strugglestick world is ANY arrow from a compound is blazing fast. lol

Comment

Funny thing about arrow penetration......everyone always has “enough” until they don’t....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
        Funny thing about arrow penetration......everyone always has “enough” until they don’t....

funny how it works that way

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          I dunno but I get real moist hearing my 560gr arras smacking the target...

One benefit of coming from the strugglestick world is ANY arrow from a compound is blazing fast. lol
          I was testing an 850gr arrow the other day. yep, that one got me down right wet.

Comment

You guys know way more about this than me but I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting where the animals are feeding along . Between ranging and taking the shot the animal could move 2 or 3 yards one way or the other.. I shoot 475 grain arrow . I have no intrest in shooting an arrow that 3 yards means a bad shot.. I shot an axis doe last week at 30 yards and my arrow busted when it hit the rock behind her..other than elephants or rhino why would you need 850 grains . Might as well build a spear and throw it at em.
            Last edited by jds247; 06-10-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              Not on deer. But I’ve had hogs stop a 500gr arrow. 500 to 550 is my go to weight.

One thing people don’t think about when helping others is draw length and draw weight. I cannot do what a person can with same bow if they are 28” plus at 70lbs I shoot 66lbs at 26.5. That’s another variable that should always be looked at. So how do I get same results. By adding weight.

Here at the bow store since last year we have built several people heavier and more foc arrows. Maybe 20 people. Most was an increase of 100 to 150gr. Only one came back in. He just didn’t care for the trajectory. All others loved it.

So it’s not for everyone that is for sure. I feel when we are talking about arrows we should not trash either side of it. Give data show the person any pros and cons. Then help build a good hunting arrow.

You are so right about longer draws length. 28" here. But hey, I have taken a lot of deer and hogs with my set up. The only time I don't get a pass through is faulty shooting on my part.

Yessir, I didn't like the "rainbow" trajectory either. I just shoot 50# bow, but it shoots 286fps, which translates to 67ke, which is more than enough for any big game animal in NA. Now would I shoot a Moose with my setup? Nope. Elk? Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                You guys know way more about this than me but I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting where the animals are feeding along . Between ranging and taking the shot the animal could move 2 or 3 yards one way or the other.. I shoot 475 grain arrow . I have no intrest in shooting an arrow that 3 yards means a bad shot.. I shot an axis doe last week at 30 yards and my arrow busted when it hit the rock behind her..other than elephants or rhino why would you need 850 grains . Might as well build a spear and throw it at em.
                Yessir. Agree

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                  I was testing an 850gr arrow the other day. yep, that one got me down right wet.
                  Yesss!

Just for giggles I put a 225gr field point on one of my 475gr fmjs.... flew like a mortar but good lawd it was quiet and hit HARD.

Comment

...other than elephants or rhino why would you need 850 grains .
                    Because we can...

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                      You are so right about longer draws length. 28" here. But hey, I have taken a lot of deer and hogs with my set up. The only time I don't get a pass through is faulty shooting on my part.
                      And this is why we shoot heavier arrows. When we make a bad shot, or the animals move enough, we can still get a pass through. We build for worst case scenario.

I'm not trying to convert you, shoot what you want; I'm just using your quote to illustrate a point.

We shoot at live, moving animals, poor shots will happen; for those that want to capitalize on those shots the answer is mass in the front of the arrow.

I will not tell anyone what truck to drive, but if they ask I'll recommend Ford every time!

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                        And this is why we shoot heavier arrows. When we make a bad shot, or the animals move enough, we can still get a pass through. We build for worst case scenario.

I'm not trying to convert you, shoot what you want; I'm just using your quote to illustrate a point.

We shoot at live, moving animals, poor shots will happen; for those that want to capitalize on those shots the answer is mass in the front of the arrow.

I will not tell anyone what truck to drive, but if they ask I'll recommend Ford every time!
                        ford what the heck. oh, wait I drive a ford. ford is the only way hahahaha hope you're doing good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

Its been a long time since a faulty shot....I just equate rainbow trajectories with bad shooting, ran that horse and lost. I prefer, fast, quiet, accurate and sharp broadheads..

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            Its been a long time since a faulty shot....I just equate rainbow trajectories with bad shooting, ran that horse and lost. I prefer, fast, quiet, accurate and sharp broadheads..
                            My backup bow is a 70 lb insanity that sounds like a weedeater when you shoot it.. I shoot 360 ish grain arrows out of it. Yesterday I added 150 grains to it just to see how much quieter it was.. it made no difference in the noise level but it changed the trajectory at 20 yards by 8 inches.. I think I'll stick with sharp broadheads and fast arrows myself.. but I'm not one of those people that think you need a 300 win mag for whitetail either.

Comment

After reading this & the foc post I got bored yesterday & picked up some GT Velocity & gonna play around lighter & decent foc arrows just for fun. I figure they’ll come in around 380 with 100gr head & 30gr behind the insert & a little over 400 with a 125 head & 20 behind the insert. We’ll see.

Comment

My backup bow is a 70 lb insanity that sounds like a weedeater when you shoot it.. I shoot 360 ish grain arrows out of it. Yesterday I added 150 grains to it just to see how much quieter it was.. it made no difference in the noise level but it changed the trajectory at 20 yards by 8 inches.. I think I'll stick with sharp broadheads and fast arrows myself.. but I'm not one of those people that think you need a 300 win mag for whitetail either.

If you sight your heavy arrows in at 20 yards and then shoot your light arrows, you won’t see that much difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X