Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much $ do you need to live comfortably?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single 75-100k

Married 150-200k+ (women can be expensive )

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
      TR the millionaire? It's easy for people who don't have to worry about money to talk about not focusing on it
      Agreed, but TR's Strenuous Life wasn't about going without, it was about making willful decisions to remove items of comfort. Modern day, might be like turning the AC to 79 instead of 72 for the month of July.

One also has to ask how does a millionaire become one or maintain? Often times it is seeking cheaper ways to live. For example my uncle is a multi millionaire, to my knowledge he has never had a new car, always paid cash for a newer low mileage vehicle and let someone else take the depreciation hicky

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        Agreed, but TR's Strenuous Life wasn't about going without, it was about making willful decisions to remove items of comfort. Modern day, might be like turning the AC to 79 instead of 72 for the month of July.

One also has to ask how does a millionaire become one or maintain? Often times it is seeking cheaper ways to live. For example my uncle is a multi millionaire, to my knowledge he has never had a new car, always paid cash for a newer low mileage vehicle and let someone else take the depreciation hicky
        may be a lot of work, just to maintain the account...always watching, and looking...

Comment

75-100k a year would be fine for me and my family. We make it on far less.

Comment

Wife and I are at the upper end of that spectrum and were debt free before we bought the land and started the new build. I'm nervous, have always lived modestly and put money into real estate. Not going to hunt in Kansas or Oklahoma this year and see how it goes a for year or two. I think I am an exception, the more money we make the more nervous and cheaper I get.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
              Family of four living in the 50-70 range right now. We are doing just fine. We travel, I hunt, and the kids in are in ton of extra curricular activities this summer. We are working our butts off to get my wife through school and part of our income is student loans. We have a plan, don't overspend and in the next couple of years we should be doubling our income. I feel like we live pretty good. Can't complain.
              Wow .. that's impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

New cars aren't the problem.
                I know plenty of millionaires with several cars they purchased brand new.

It's the little things that get you.
                Last edited by Atfulldraw; 07-13-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Living comfortably and being happy are two different things.
                  I was happy on 6.00 an hour the year I got married and I'm happy now with what I make.

Comment

Eleventy billion.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                      Wife and I are at the upper end of that spectrum and were debt free before we bought the land and started the new build. I'm nervous, have always lived modestly and put money into real estate. Not going to hunt in Kansas or Oklahoma this year and see how it goes a for year or two. I think I am an exception, the more money we make the more nervous and cheaper I get.
                      Thats how you keep money in the bank though! Your kids will appreciate it

Comment

If I had a household income of 120k per year, I would be able to pay off the 30 year mortgage i'm about to sign onto, buy my leased vehicle and all outstanding debt in 3.5 years and not change a thing about how i live on my current income.

Since we are 1 income family of 4, all that is going to take me 30 years. those of you who have 2 income families are driving up the cost of living for the few 1 income families left thanks alot hahah

Comment

I am thinking I would be good with a 15x15 cabin, with a bed, couch, air conditioning, TV, internet, toilet, sink, running water and electricity. Then about a thousand hundred bucks for groceries, clothes, and beer. Sounds pretty comfortable to me. I need to get far away from places like Lowes, Wal-mart, Costco etc. Everytime I go into somewhere like that I spend about 10x what I should have, lol.

I'm sure we could all be comfortable on a whole lot less than we have/make.

Comment

Man, looking at all the expenses for kids and what not....as much as I have always wanted a son or two...I might not do it anymore

Starting to look for someone that wants that D.I.N.K lifestyle and we can travel and hunt the world

Dual Income No Kids

Comment

It all depends on scale and perspective. I will say this though I have never relied on income from what someone else thinks I'm worth, I create my own. A little scary because you eat what you kill but I am blessed and have been fortunate to kill well.

Comment

It also depends on what stage you are in life. If you are in your forever home, your number is going to be a lot different than if you are trying to save up for a big upgrade. The wife and I bring home just enough that we are on a bubble right now. We are maxing out everything possible towards retirement (401K, IRA, HSA, etc), which isn't leaving quite as much on the table to save as I would like. We are wanting to buy land and build a house in the next 5-7 years or so. If we were already in our dream house, our current income would be way more than enough to be totally comfortable, but since there is a huge purchase on the horizon, I feel like we could always use more towards down payments.

Comment

Working...
                                X