Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much $ do you need to live comfortably?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$150k+ to be comfortable and still have the house, vehicles, and hunts I want. That still leaves quite a bit of play money also while still saving and letting my wife stay at home. Luckily with my job I can pick up work if it's not enough but I took a pretty big cut to be home more and it's taken getting used to but still more than enough.

Comment

I've been comfortable at 60K and i've been comfortable at 150k. Not everyone needs the 350k mortage note when it is not within their means. I see my friends doing it and i am having a lot more fun doing what i love (hunting trips, fishing trips, and vacation trips)

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
        your comfort does not come from the amount of income you have - it comes from the amount of DEBT you have. PLENTY of folks out there that fall in the 50k-75k income range that are very comfortable and PLENTY of folks out there that fall in the $250k+ income range that are FAR from comfortable.
        agreed.

but the question is already flawed, because it doesn't take into account savings and when you get to stop working.

The answer for most is 250k+ if you want to retire at a decent age AND be able to continue your lifestyle after that.

Comment

I just need a little bit more than I use.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
            too many different variables, I was making it by living off 36.4K for a few years, comfortable? kind of, not really but doable

Now im double that and I would definitely say im a lot happier just due to the fact that im not stressing out about being able to pay bills now, and also dropped the dead weight relationship.

So I would say right now a single guy in his mid 20's, im comfortable making 75k annually (fluctuates since im 100% commission) but thats about it on average. I can pay all my bills and do just about anything I want without having to count pennies before considering it.

Now for me personalyl to consider myself 100% comfortable in any financial situation, I need to grind out and get to where im making 90-120 consistently. Definitely possible in my current position but I just need to be more consistent
            Good for you! Sounds like you are doing it right.

Comment

They key is definitely to keep your debt and monthly expenses down so you have plenty of spending money for deer season that's just around the corner

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
              Last edited by TXhoghunter94; 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

My wife pays me 125.00 a week so I guess 125.00 a week

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                  My expenses are about $1500 a month and I have about $2100 left over to spend on hunting and toys. I do not have any debt thankfully and just graduated in May. I would like to be able to afford a couple hundred acres in 10 years and get a newer 6.7 by next year. I would say I'm pretty comfortable right now but I also don't have a family.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                  You are doing very good so far. I would give my left pinky to only have $ 1,500 in expenses per month. Save save save

Comment

Bring home $2K a week is perfect.

Comment

It's a flawed question as everyone's idea or definition of living comfortably is different.

I mean, to me, living comfortably would be owning at least a half million dollar home outright with multiple acres to boot. That's not happening overnight even at a $250K per year salary.

Another thing I've noticed is many people that make well over 6 figure salaries still maintain a sizable amount of debt; just like many people making less than 6 figures. The only difference is the homes, vehicle, toys, etc, they buy are more expensive.

It's like having a higher income allows people to have higher debt, considering the debt to income ratio would be similar. So in that respect, on a financial front, not everyone making great money is living perfectly comfortable.

Comment

Right now we bring in around $160k a year. I'm 29 and she's 25. No kids, decent house, and new vehicles. I wouldn't want to do it on less, but we could easily manage on half our income if we cut the frivolous spending out. We enjoy going out, taking trips, and spending time doing things we won't be able to when kids are in the picture.

Comment

i have a cousin making around 75k modest house modest vehicles hunts and fishes, most comfortable person i know

i have a brother making $250k+ nice house nice vehicles ect. not very comfortable

my wife and i are closer to brother range but have the modest house and modest vehicles and we are very comfortable

Comment

I'm no expert on the issue, but I think debt is one consideration as mentioned above.

I also think it depends on who you are surrounded by in your social/family circle. If you live among people making $500k, and you are making $75k, you likely will struggle more than if you are making $75k living among people making $35k.

For me, my prayer is for contentment and to be thankful for what has been given to me and to use it wisely. There are always people better off then me, and there are always people worse off than me. I am blessed with what I have today.

Plus, I would rather have good health than money any day.

Comment

75-100k a year

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                                You are doing very good so far. I would give my left pinky to only have $ 1,500 in expenses per month. Save save save
                                No kidding!

Comment

Working...
                                X