IYO, Is college worth it !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    If they go into the correct field, definitely yes. Art history degree, no.
    Absolutely, correct!

When I went, yes, it was worth it, but with what it costs today, it totally depends on the field of study.

Unfortunately, I don’t see “teaching” as a worthwhile field of study to pay for a degree and will give you my reasoning. My wife has been a teacher for over 20 years and went into it debt free and still could barely live off her salary. The kids she has as student teachers now have upwards of $120k in loans, and unless they marry a wealthy man, there is very little chance they will find a teaching job that pay enough to live AND pay off their debts. The numbers don’t work.

Comment

My BIL got a Masters in Counseling and never used it. I have a nephew with an English Lit degree that is working for the USPS as a carrier.

My daughter is going to Collin College her first two years and then commuting to UNT and working. My son will follow the same path.

Comment

I have a BS in Engineering. Use it everyday. Even working through college I came out with $40k in debt. For me it was still worth it. But I have several younger family members making $60k+ with no degree and they have better job security than I do. I also used to hire welders making $200k. College is worth it if you know what you want to do, what you want to do is in demand and you go get a degree in that field. College is useless if you don’t have a plan and or you get a useless degree which happens a lot. Trade schools should be encouraged more as a good option. The choice should be made based on the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No college just hs, experience is what got me to where i am today as a superintendent for an industrial company that works all over the U.S. although i might travel every now amd then out of the state most of my work is either in corpus or houston for months or years depending on project make a good income and always take a month off every year all that being said i want to go to college and get an associates degree at least i want my son to know that not only can you start from the bottom but also a degree can help if you ever need it even if its in a different field

Comment

Originally posted by Zjesse22 View Post
            No college just hs, experience is what got me to where i am today as a superintendent for an industrial company that works all over the U.S. although i might travel every now amd then out of the state most of my work is either in corpus or houston for months or years depending on project make a good income and always take a month off every year all that being said i want to go to college and get an associates degree at least i want my son to know that not only can you start from the bottom but also a degree can help if you ever need it even if its in a different field
            I have a Bachelor of Science in Education with English as my first teaching field. I taught high school English for five years.

Your sentence above is known as a run on sentence. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
              I have a Bachelor of Science in Education with English as my first teaching field. I taught high school English for five years.

Your sentence above is known as a run on sentence. LOL
              I have a hs degree lol i knew someone would say that haha dont worry my wife is a major grammer police with me all the time lol

Comment

I will add that in my case my college experience was important not only from an education standpoint but also just as important from a "learning about life" stand point. Would not trade the experience for anything.

Both of my kids were never told they had to go to college - they just knew it was expected. They are both great people with professional careers that they would not have had without their degrees.

Without degrees they still would have done fine but not at the level they are today.

IMO a degree is not required to be successful - but it certainly increases the odds.

Comment

Had the same thoughts as the OP after listening to a couple podcasts recently, search function came through.

Tagging this for later.

Comment

I think it depends on how able an individual is to put their degree to work. I would agree that a degree in philosophy might not do much for someone. If you can get a degree in something that's associated with high value skill (accounting, finance, engineering, etc.), it's going to pay off. Conversely, if you spend a lot of money at a private school for a degree that may not really translate into anything, it's not going to be worth it unless you just happen to go out and make it happen. Won't be automatic.

Comment

I have a Bachelors in Finance.

I use it every day. I could never be in the position I am in without it.

The problem with college is that the government guarantees student loan debt. Because of this colleges just keep raising the costs and students just keep piling on the debt and the colleges don't care because the debt is guaranteed by Ol' Uncle Sam.

Its just like truck prices. Truck prices haven't gone up so much because trucks cost that much more to produce. They have gone up so dang high because you can now get a 7 year loan on one which qualifies more people on an income basis for a loan to buy them.

The government needs to stop guaranteeing student loan debt. Enrollment would decrease and the universities would have to lower cost to stay in business. Until this happens the higher education system will continue to go more wheels off every day.

Comment

It is worth it in my opinion. Expensive but once you have a degree they can’t take it away from you. Good feedback here. Like some have said, some folks do not need one. Just depends on what a person wants to do. Also, some companies do not require a degree.

Comment

Absolutely. Associates and Bachelors.

If nothing else it shows employers how dedicated you are. NOT always, but alot of people who don't go don't have as much of a drive or ambition.

And yes I can't hold my job without a degree

Comment

I have a degree and honestly it really didn’t make much of a difference. It truly depends on what you want to do, what the degree is in and what criteria you as an individual are using to quantify whether or not it was worth it.

I have a few of my kids that I feel certain won’t go to college simply because it’s not their personality and a couple I have no doubt will end up in college and one that I have no clue what in the world he will do. Most best guess is disappear into the wilderness somewhere and live off the land.

Comment

A: what is your highest level of education?
                              BS in General Ed, Licensed Electrician, Military
                              Planning on going back for MBA in Operations and ?????

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?
                              I work as an Electrical engineer. Degree/training yes.

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?
                              GI Bill paid for everything. Zero debt.
                              I worked full-time as a Commercial Electrician and went to school at night or worked nights and went to school during the day. School was a hobby for me, but worth it. Sitting at a desk and visiting construction sites is much easier on the body than climbing ladders bending and stooping, that is a young man's game.

Comment

Working...
                              X