Do deer like post oak acorns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do deer like post oak acorns?

Not a lot of info online about them. I have several big post oaks around my place and noticed they drop their acorns a little later in the year. I'm wondering if the deer like them and if I should bother fertilizing them next spring.

It depends on what other oak species are in the area, but they will eat them. Fertilizer will definitely help, it will make them taste better.

Comment

They eat around my house.

Comment

Mostly just live oaks with the occasional red oak are the other oaks here.

Comment

We have post oaks, they deer, coons, squirrels and hogs like the acorns.

Comment

... they prefer them over red oak, pin oak ect. They are a white oak family of acorn. All mine dropped super early this year and what’s not gone is already rotten

Comment

Yes, any acorn except Live Oak acorns, they got to be starving to eat those.

Comment

Mine are dropping now and the pigs and deer are picking them up as fast as they hit the ground

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  I’ve always noticed the opposite, live oak, post oak, water oak are all white oak acorns and seem to be preferred over red oak, black jack oak etc. the red oaks have a lot of tannin. Just my observations and what I have heard

Comment

In East Tx it seems white oaks are preferred.

Comment

1st I have ever heard of this and we have alot of post and live oaks

Comment

Joking, right?

Comment

"What are you talking about Willis" I would think that
                          Deer eat more live oak acorns that all others combined.

Comment

Lol, wut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t know if I agree with their blanket statement of skipping fert altogether... but I do know that nitrogen based fertilizers will push the tree further into vegetative growth instead of mast production.

P and K are what I would stick with if I were to fertilize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X