1 million more ducks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
    Texas duck hunting has seen its best days. Nothing anyone does will help us get more ducks.
    Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Disagree. Quality conservation can help anything.
    Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
    I think that without the Texas Agriculture from the past nothing is really gonna help us Texas guys.
    Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    You sure right David. Field, after field covered with houses instead of prarie and rice. They ain't coming back. Especially with Arkansas in their path.

This ^^^^ is why Texas has seen its best days when it comes to duck hunting.

Trophy8, unfortunately it will never again be as good as it once was. That’s just a fact. Sure conservation will help without a doubt.

They ain’t gonna tear down houses and dig up concrete to replant fields. Sadly this is just the reality

Comment

My family would come from Louisiana to duck and goose hunt in Brazoria County before I was born. We moved to Brazoria County when I was young and the water fowl hunting was a big part of the decision to do so. Growing up we could kill a a limit of geese and pintails in our back pasture with just 50 white paper plates on the ground for a spread. The flocks of pintails were in waves so thick they would block out the sun. Oh to sit and think of those days. We never gave one moment of thought that those days would turn to these with the death of the farming industry.

RIP Texas Farm Industry.
      Last edited by Gumbo Man; 08-07-2022, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        This ^^^^ is why Texas has seen its best days when it comes to duck hunting.

Trophy8, unfortunately it will never again be as good as it once was. That’s just a fact. Sure conservation will help without a doubt.

They ain’t gonna tear down houses and dig up concrete to replant fields. Sadly this is just the reality
        Agreed. Same as deer. I hate seeing ranches broke up. It may never be what it once was. But we can certainly improve it!

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
          Numbers really aren’t that bad. You’re just going to need the weather to get them to where you are and the habitat (and low pressure) to sustain them when they arrive.

I hope this campaign is effective as much as next guy, but water levels in the breeding areas are paramount and always have been.

The differences I’ve noticed in the last ten years are:

1. Strange migration timing due to strange weather.

2. Way too many geese

3. Too much pressure on marginal spots leading to ducks patterns changing. (Large concentrations where people take care of them).

Ducks are only going to go as far as they have to in order to feed and survive. If there’s tons of open water & food north of us in Ill, MO, etc., they’re just not going to be on us in peak numbers. On the same hand, why would a duck leave my rest area if he’s fed and unpressured just to fly to marginal habitat further south in TX? He won’t leave

Bingo. Only thing that peaks Texas’ season is a drought year and freezing temps up north before thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
          X