Views:	1
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	25287586

Click image for larger version

Name:	0B45ECE0-BA54-4411-905F-A4B620FA34B9.jpeg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	25287587

Had a hickory tree fall over back in the winter. So I decided to try my hand at making some lump charcoal. Check back tomorrow and we’ll see how it turned out.

This will be cool. In for the results.

Comment

at what point do you snuff it out? I guess before it all burn up?

Comment

Probaly about right

Comment

Call SWAT...

Comment

Tattle tell!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	C8FC37DD-692B-4B45-B381-BE5BB61FD7BF.jpeg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	24687798

Put the last load on. Once it gets burnt on the outside, I’ll put the lid on and cover up the vent holes at the bottom. By tomorrow morning, it should be cooled down where I can dump it and sack it, or in my case, fill up some 5 gallon buckets.

Comment

Was you supposed to pull the bark off before charring? I only asked because I aint never seen bark on lump charcoal.

Comment

The bark should burn off completely...traditional mesquite / mexican carbon is like charcoal. I would guess it's burnt down about 50% & then put out w/ water & then cracked up into pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    Was you supposed to pull the bark off before charring? I only asked because I aint never seen bark on lump charcoal.
                    Being that this wood has been dead for a few months, it burns off pretty quickly.
                    I have some post oak I’m going to try out next. Got several logs already season. Just need to cut into smaller pieces. This barrel is only a 20-30 gallon.
                    Need to get my hands on some mesquite wood too!! This is my favorite wood to grill with.

Comment

never new how this was made. im interested.

Comment

There’s an ol boy on here that is a member of the D&D charcoal family, and also an employee. His username escapes me, but I bet he could offer some info on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty cool stuff. Saw on the TV show Mountain Men, a guy made charcoal. The secret (TV secret) was to choke out all oxygen. That was his struggle at one point. I keep the Kingsford Folks in business. Cheap charcoal never last and homemade would be cool!! Wish I had time to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            There’s an ol boy on here that is a member of the D&D charcoal family, and also an employee. His username escapes me, but I bet he could offer some info on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            You sure it isn’t B&B?? I remember somebody saying he was a member here.
                            That is what I’ve buying when I can find it. Bought the last bag that the Franklin supermarket had and haven’t seen any since. That was a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X