Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swimming pool in heavy clay soil?

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone has been through the process of installing an in ground pool in heavy clay soil? Did you just install it in the clay or dig out and back fill with good dirt?
    Thanks for any replies

I think you need to back fill with some sand

Comment

Soil injection or helical piers

Comment

Soil injection or go with a company that has a lifetime warranty like what I did. They put in a thicker wall of concrete to help prevent cracks or blowouts as not to have any warranty claims.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. No Tox, who did you use to build your pool?

Comment

Originally posted by colonel62 View Post
            Hey guys,
            I was wondering if anyone has been through the process of installing an in ground pool in heavy clay soil? Did you just install it in the clay or dig out and back fill with good dirt?
            Thanks for any replies
            You don't need to overexcavate and backfill.

Comment

You should be fine, maybe go with 1/2 inch steel schedule, main thing is have very good drainage around the pool, water makes clay expand.

Comment

I design and sell pools in north texas and it really depends on what the plasticity is in your yard as to how we handle it. Like some said, worst case we overdig 3' and backfill with road base. Helical piers are good for settling but do not help against upward movement of the pool. Basically figure out what your plasticity is and go from there.

Comment

We have very expansive soil/clay as well and we are going with a fiberglass insert with a lot of backfill. From what I have researched the new fiberglass pools can sustain movement over 10 inches. Not saying the rock work or flat work around the pool will, but thats an easier fix than cracked pools.

Comment

Non-issue with properly engineered plan and gunite to specs.

Comment

Originally posted by colonel62 View Post
                      Thanks for the replies guys. No Tox, who did you use to build your pool?
                      Don’t just go with any company though. A lifetime warranty is no good if they are out of business, we just fished a pool (still filling it up) and I didnt even talk to anyone that has not been in business with the same name for at least 15 years..

Comment

Working...
                      X