New Mexico camping/hiking for a pudgy 40 yr old & 11 yr old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico camping/hiking for a pudgy 40 yr old & 11 yr old

Planning a trip the high country with my son this summer. Looking for camping and hiking recommendations. Not necessarily looking for back country trails or camping, in fact I think it would be preferable to have neighboring tents and kids around for evening, but then hit some less travelled trails during the day.

Here is the purpose. It’s a bit of coming of age sort of deal. I want this trip to challenge my son mentally and physically. At the end, I want him to realize he is capable of more than he thinks he is. I think this is an important lesson as he heads into jr high.

I’ve been looking at trails around Red River. Specifically Lost Lake. 10+ mi hike with pretty decent ascent, 2300 ft I think, that culminates with an alpine lake stocked with native cutthroat.

But I’m open to other suggestions for day hikes that will stretch him and provide a reward for his effort

Have you looked into the gila national Forest? We went there during a boyscout trip when I was a freshman in highschool and it was a great trip had some moderate hikes as well as some much harder hikes if that is what you are looking for.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

If you aren't set on NM then Guadalupe Peak right on the border is an awesome hike.

It's close to Carlsbad caverns too

Comment

I’ve hiked lost lake twice and is a hell of a hike, scenery is great but I’ve never caught fish up there. You can see them in the lake though

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          If you aren't set on NM then Guadalupe Peak right on the border is an awesome hike.

It's close to Carlsbad caverns too
          I’m not set on NM, but I ain’t going to Gualupe in Aug. I want afternoon showers and 40 degrees at night.

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
          I’ve hiked lost lake twice and is a hell of a hike, scenery is great but I’ve never caught fish up there. You can see them in the lake though
          Hell of a hike as in hard/challenging or great hike & scenery?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            Planning a trip the high country with my son this summer. Looking for camping and hiking recommendations. Not necessarily looking for back country trails or camping, in fact I think it would be preferable to have neighboring tents and kids around for evening, but then hit some less travelled trails during the day.

Here is the purpose. It’s a bit of coming of age sort of deal. I want this trip to challenge my son mentally and physically. At the end, I want him to realize he is capable of more than he thinks he is. I think this is an important lesson as he heads into jr high.

I’ve been looking at trails around Red River. Specifically Lost Lake. 10+ mi hike with pretty decent ascent, 2300 ft I think, that culminates with an alpine lake stocked with native cutthroat.

But I’m open to other suggestions for day hikes that will stretch him and provide a reward for his effort
            I did the same thing with my son. Stewart Lake from Cowles NM. Start at Windsor Ridge TH. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My son is at ranch camp this week in Johnson city doing just that. I preferred to send him somewhere I’m not allowed. He’ll grow up a touch and be around kids and others for a week. We’ve done the family/dad thing since he was a baby. He’s old enough now to adventure out on his own (11 year old with supervision of course). At that age there are multiple camps for him to cut his teeth. He’ll be better for it. So will I.

Comment

Few pics. Not that difficult trail. Absolutely gorgeous though.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170807_093634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	24583054Click image for larger version

Name:	20170806_082439.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	24583055Click image for larger version

Name:	20170807_091819.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	24583056

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

My son and I did middle fork two summers ago. Same starting point as lost lake- just shorter. Challenging but very doable. My family is a big fan of Red River. Plenty of other trails, good fishing, neat little mountain town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not set on NM, but I ain’t going to Gualupe in Aug. I want afternoon showers and 40 degrees at night.
                      Well I've always been told my 9s look like 4s..

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
                        My son is at ranch camp this week in Johnson city doing just that. I preferred to send him somewhere I’m not allowed. He’ll grow up a touch and be around kids and others for a week. We’ve done the family/dad thing since he was a baby. He’s old enough now to adventure out on his own (11 year old with supervision of course). At that age there are multiple camps for him to cut his teeth. He’ll be better for it. So will I.
                        We are going to have some conversations about what to expect in jr high. Boys jockeying for position in the herd (fighting), girls, Internet content, and peer pressure and substance abuse. Figure around a campfire or on a single track trail are about the best places in the world to have those conversations

Comment

Lost Lake is a good choice you selected.

Comment

We are going to have some conversations about what to expect in jr high. Boys jockeying for position in the herd (fighting), girls, Internet content, and peer pressure and substance abuse. Figure around a campfire or on a single track trail are about the best places in the world to have those conversations
                            Yessir. I’ll applaud that. We do the Sam at deer camp. With a dad like you I’m sure he’ll be just fine!

Comment

I’d look at the Gila. Snow lake to the middle fork and back around through the meadows to snow lake. Great scenery and the trails not to bad. Or you can do the loop from TJ’s corral which is a great 4 day hike.

Last edited by JEG8233; 06-11-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X