No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations on getting the fence up. Your place is looking great. Hopefully you can get the roads fixed quick.

Comment

5/10/19 - Road Damage

Here are some pictures of the road damage from the big rains we got earlier this week.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Road (Large)1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	24579672

Name:	Road 2 (Large)1.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	24579673

We are hoping to get these fixed this week and figure out another way to prevent this from happening again.

Comment

Coyote Trap Modifications

I made the following modifications to my Duke #2 offset traps:
        - Added a base plate with center swivel
        - Added laminations
        - Change to a 4-coil

Name:	5 (Large).jpg
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	24579721

Name:	6 (Large).jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	24579722

Name:	1 (Large).jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	24579723

I am a terrible welder but hopefully it will make these "cheaper" traps stronger and more durable. I will be setting these out over Memorial Day weekend to try to get rid of some fawn killers.

Comment

Well, glad to see the rain. We got 6.5” in Brown Co. But sorry for the road damage. We have lots of road damage in Leon co this year.

I was looking at your situation. If you have some available big rocks to place upstream of that second photo, perhaps you could slow the flow and damage. I like cement low water crossings where there is a dip or channel.

Comment

Got another 1/2in of rain out there yesterday. We are almost at 8in for the month of May. We’ll get out there this next weekend and see if we need to bring the cows back on to help keep the grasses down to ensure forbs are able to grow. My hope was to keep the cows off to ensure the fawns have cover but we also want to make sure that there is enough forage for deer as well.

Comment

Thanks for the update and good luck with everything! Your place is looking great!

Comment

I like cement low water crossings where there is a dip or channel. From Above ^^^^^^^

This would be the best way to correct this and be done with it once .

Comment

wow. missed the whole high fence talk. Looks great and you will love the control you know have on the place. Love the new Condo, i mean deer blind. Looks like a great location. good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                    wow. missed the whole high fence talk. Looks great and you will love the control you know have on the place. Love the new Condo, i mean deer blind. Looks like a great location. good work.
                    Thanks for the kind words! We are looking forward to it being high fenced and it should be finished this coming week. We will be ordering another feeder from you pretty soon so I’ll be in touch this summer.

Comment

I will be ready when you are ready. Cant wait to check thisntheead in 3 years. It will be night and day different.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

You mentioned that y’all were going to add some Blackbuck, have you heard about them being crawlers? I want to put some on our place but I’m not going to put up a high fence, just wire net the exterior fence.

Comment

I haven’t heard anything about them being crawlers. We were going to add them this weekend but the ranch we are getting them from is too wet so we are going to figure out another weekend.

Comment

5/27/2019 - Stocked Blackbuck

We stocked 11 blackbuck this past weekend - 2 male (1.5yr old & 3.5yr old) and 9 females. Here are some pictures:

Name:	IMG_5185 (Small).jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	24580414

Name:	IMG_5189 (Large).jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	24580415

Name:	IMG_5193 (Large).jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	24580416

Everything looks great out there. I planted silver river clover last fall in one food plot and it has taken off and doing very well (see picture below).

Name:	IMG_5257 (Large).jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	24580417

They are starting to hit the cottonseed really hard since the doe are starting to drop their fawns. We added three additional cottonseed feeders and put out 1,800lbs of cottonseed this past weekend.

We set up some snares and a couple of foot-hold coyote traps but didn't catch any coyotes. We did however catch 6 raccoons this weekend. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

Comment

Those blackbucks look awesome. They will be a fun animal to watch grow as well. Looking good as always.

Comment

Looking REALLY good. I missed the high fence also. With all the work you’re putting in, that high fence will really pay off!

Comment

Working...
                                X