No announcement yet.

Electrical and water line in Trench question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I advise against putting them in same ditch. Water and electric don't mix.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
      When you start to cover these...put 6 or so inches of dirt in, the lay yellow caution or red danger tape/robin in the trench. So if you later on, or someone else digs the tape I will be seen first
      Good idea. My dad also said to put galvanized wire in the ditch about 6 inch from the top so you can find it with a metal detector.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
        Being in the same ditch won’t matter. The conduit will probably end up with water in it anyway.

Comment

You’d really freak out to know that shared ditches are common. I’ve run water, electric, telephone and gas all in a combined ditch on several large commercial projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
            Being in the same ditch won’t matter. The conduit will probably end up with water in it anyway.
            Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              You’d really freak out to know that shared ditches are common. I’ve run water, electric, telephone and gas all in a combined ditch on several large commercial projects.

Joint trench. Every apartment complex in San Antonio is done this way. Maybe other cities.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                Good idea. My dad also said to put galvanized wire in the ditch about 6 inch from the top so you can find it with a metal detector.
                Not necessary if there is water. Water witching will locate it easily.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Don’t forget to throw some fiber lines in there too. Those are great fun to see a trackhoe pull out.

Took the phone company a week straight to fix that contractors screw up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not in the construction business, are ya?

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                    That is funny [emoji16]. Big price difference.

The 0000 designation is actually pronounced like aught...yup like thirty aught six.

You would be asking for 4 aught wire. AWG stands for american wire gauge[emoji6].
                    I didn’t rub it in by asking how much he paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X