Brazos River not looking to good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Your table shows 1-13-2019 and 1-11-2019 to be the most recent. I'd like to see that table in chronological order as well, starting with the most recent. Also looks like most of it started in the 1990s via frequency.

Hoping the best for ya Tim.
    Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    24 of the top 49 have been since 2001.. If I remember correctly they started recording in 1954. I may be wrong on that..

And thanks.. We dodged a bullet on this one so far but many didn't... The river will remain high for many days though so we aren't out of the woods yet.. There is a lot of water up north that is just waiting to be released..

Global warming???

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      Global warming???
      Greed, Idiots and concrete..

Comment

Comment

24 of the top 49 have been since 2001.. If I remember correctly they started recording in 1954. I may be wrong on that..
          We had some flooding here in the hill country, and two of my good friends
          1. Works for the local water district
          2. Works as head of the area building inspection
          Both are concerned about the way our local government and large corporate out of state construction companies ignore any and all rules of thumb about water run off
          Choosing to just proceed with building and expanding as fast as possible
          And letting the guys down stream deal with the problems
          They both agree that in the USA we don’t have the long term experience to deal with problems like flooding and water shortages, and site our need for more experienced ( Asian and European) hydrological consultants
          So I totally understand that brazoria county and surrounding areas are in big trouble for the future

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            We had some flooding here in the hill country, and two of my good friends
            1. Works for the local water district
            2. Works as head of the area building inspection
            Both are concerned about the way our local government and large corporate out of state construction companies ignore any and all rules of thumb about water run off
            Choosing to just proceed with building and expanding as fast as possible
            And letting the guys down stream deal with the problems
            They both agree that in the USA we don’t have the long term experience to deal with problems like flooding and water shortages, and site our need for more experienced ( Asian and European) hydrological consultants
            So I totally understand that brazoria county and surrounding areas are in big trouble for the future
            This here... Just in fort bend county alone they are building crazy fast and taking away natural runoff and everything is being pumped into the Brazos. If you look at all the social media from last week, they all have the pumps dumping it in there. If I were Brazoria County I would be upset. Its only getting worse

Comment

Pretty decent chances of rain tomorrow for headwaters of all dorks of the Brazos.

Comment

The Trinity is gonna be really bad too.

They are putting in cookie cutter tract subdivisions all across the watersheds of the Trinity around D/FW. They cut the roads down low, crown the tiny lots, and use the streets as flumes to shove tons of runoff into the creeks and rivers as fast as possible.

It can’t work for long for the folks in SE Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

flooding

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by texansfan
                  Global warming???
                  Greed, Idiots and concrete..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

some of the above, coupled with the fact that the high grounds have long been developed...most new subdivisions around large metropolitan areas will not be in high ground areas. I lived in lake Jackson in a house built in 83'. not a drop of standing water for the last 3 big floods..newer neighborhoods were flooded...ex. north woods, audabon woods, bar x etc....no downtown areas flooded

Comment

Have you boys taken some time to look at the Mississippi up in the midwest, now there is some flooding

Comment

Iowa got hammered pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        The Trinity is gonna be really bad too.

They are putting in cookie cutter tract subdivisions all across the watersheds of the Trinity around D/FW. They cut the roads down low, crown the tiny lots, and use the streets as flumes to shove tons of runoff into the creeks and rivers as fast as possible.

It can’t work for long for the folks in SE Texas.

Very good friend has family property in liberty county that the house has flooded 5 times in the last 8 years. Before that, the water got high occasionally but not like recently. Just talked to him and the house got water yesterday. Somethings changed?

Comment

The Brazos is again doing serious damage down here in Brazoria county..
                          Sad deal. This is 3 major floods in just 4 years and 1 of those was a "500 year flood" and the last(Harvey flood) was a "1000 year flood" and now this...
                          This crap is getting old in a hurry.. I've been here on this river 53 years and its never been this bad and its getting worse.. To much concrete is being poured and to many levees are being built on and around 1,000's of acres of land north of here. This is land that once helped dissipate this water with east and west sheet flow but now is funneled straight down on us..... Politics and BIG money are sure screwing up a lot of peoples lives down here..
                          Agree 100%! All these levees around Fort Bend County are to blame for a ton of downstream flooding. Increased tax dollars from new developments and lackadaisical flood management.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            Agree 100%! All these levees around Fort Bend County are to blame for a ton of downstream flooding. Increased tax dollars from new developments and lackadaisical flood management.
                            I'm not one to holler "lawsuit" ever but it's about time us folks in Brazoria county start entertaining the thought of some sort of legal action/representation if possible against FB county...
                            Land is flooding down here that has NEVER seen water.. If you build anything in this county you have to build a retention pond to catch water your building has displaced yet they can push 1,000's of acres of water down on us with no push back!!! It is total BS..
                            I think it is time to look at our options..

Comment

It's crazy how much development is happening in Fort bend county. I live in a LID in the county and after living here and understanding drainage through my job, it's crazy what is happening. Our levee protects our houses but obviously pushes the water to others which is something I did not understand until our first flood. The retention ponds within the levee capture the drainage from within but it's then pumped out of the levee for someone else to deal with. It's scary for the ones not protected and a shame so much low land is approved for development without out considering how it affects the areas downstream. Unfortunately it's only going to get worse.

Comment

The whole flood control thing is really messed up. On any floor way there are multiple flood control districts who make decisions based on what’s good for them. It’s a lot like the levee boards in New Orleans. There is no overarching organization that looks at the whole picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X