Buck Forage Oats...Success? Maybe??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    I paid $25/50lb. at TTHA show. Couldn’t tell you where to get it but I’ll look around their website.
    Hmmm, I bet they have a distributor list, I’ll check it out.
    I just thought I’d try it all this yr and did a mix of just about everything I could find and also added fertilizer. What I should have done is plant everything in strips separately to see what the deer in my area prefer. Well either way they will def have a variety buffet this yr. I’m not sure if it’s just luck or the deer are liking the new growth because my deer activity on one has prob tripled the last 3 days since it has been coming up strong.

Comment

Not my first food plot but first one not doing the Fall Mix type seed.

Note: i didn’t ask what’s better or cheaper.

Note: everyone here is still giving you advice. Take it or don’t be an azz

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
        Note: everyone here is still giving you advice. Take it or don’t be an azz
        Lol! Don’t be upset, Dr. Phil.

Comment

Looking good, I've been planting oats for a few years with good success. What I really like is the fact that they will lay in the ground until the rain comes. This is doesn't look to be an issue this year but some years we just don't get the rain when we want it. Mine didn't really kick off till mid December last year. Didn't help my hunting but provided good winter forage and a good hay crop after we allowed it to seed out in the spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol! Don’t be upset, Dr. Phil.
            Don’t be upset because you got had by dr. deer. There’s a good bunch of guys here you can talk to for support.

I just offered my piece of advice, what I figured this site was here for.

Comment

What’s the planting rate for oats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                What’s the planting rate for oats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                If you can drill them its 50-60lb/acre.
                If you broadcast and disc them its 100lbs as a good rule of thumb.

Comment

I've got 50 bags to plant

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
                    We've planted it every year for the last six or so years. You won't notice the difference between it and regular or oats until it grows for a while. My brother in law wouldn't spend the money on it the first couple of years. After the second year he couldn't figure out why his was a foot tall and mine was mowed to the ground and still going strong. He's been planting it ever since.
                    Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                    Don’t be upset because you got had by dr. deer. There’s a good bunch of guys here you can talk to for support.

I just offered my piece of advice, what I figured this site was here for.

Judging by the above from BHO it sounds like the Dr. Deer stuff is better stuff.. I guess cheaper is not always better..

Comment

Yes
                      Are you sure? How many species of "oats" are there? What makes them diff? Serious question.
                      We have had excellent luck with plain old oats. Deer mow them down...

Comment

Last edited by Easttxbowman; 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I've no dog in the fight, and ain't no farmer either, but I did sit in a food plot seminar last week so I'm kind of an expert on oats. [emoji44]. Whether there is any truth to this or not, I don't know, but according to the seminar, forage oats don't grow much more than 8"-10", and stay tender, making them a preferred food to say Bob oats or seed oats. They are also more tolerable to heavy forage, according to the seminar. Another thing that was mentioned, was a pesticide coating (if the need to store them in your shop?) And also a coating that boosts germination a healthy percentage over regular oats. Again I know nothing more than what I was told at the seminar, but they sure made them sound like they were different.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
                          And I didn't buy any, but did "buy" into the forage oats being different.

Comment

Nice! Need to put an exclusion cage in the plot to see how the growth inside compares to what the deer have access to.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                              I've no dog in the fight, and ain't no farmer either, but I did sit in a food plot seminar last week so I'm kind of an expert on oats. [emoji44]. Whether there is any truth to this or not, I don't know, but according to the seminar, forage oats don't grow much more than 8"-10", and stay tender, making them a preferred food to say Bob oats or seed oats. They are also more tolerable to heavy forage, according to the seminar. Another thing that was mentioned, was a pesticide coating (if the need to store them in your shop?) And also a coating that boosts germination a healthy percentage over regular oats. Again I know nothing more than what I was told at the seminar, but they sure made them sound like they were different.

Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post

Sounds reasonable, I'd like to do a comparison planting next season if I can find some.

Comment

Working...
                                X