feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feeder

looking for cheap way to make protien feeder ?

I was going to make one out of a 55 gallon barell and cut a "u" on the bottom and push the metal in a make a gravity feeder.

Someone on here has some pictures of one in use. Looks simple and no moving parts.

Comment

Louie's Gravity Feeder

Bill,

I made/modified this gravity feeder last year and ended up with something that works pretty well. The picture below is pretty self explanitory. In summary, all you need is a 55 gallon drum w/ legs, ~4ft length of 3"PVC, a 3" PVC "T", and a 3" Toilet Flange (new one of course, this is used to mount the pipe to the bottom of the barrel). Cut the PVC pipe into a 3' piece and two 6" pieces. Then assemble in the manner shown below, cutting a 45 degree bevel on the two shorter pieces, and you will have a sturdy Gravity Feeder for a couple hundred less than retail price! Good luck!

Louie

Comment

How far is normal height for the feed tubes from the ground?

Comment

Perfect! This is what I was looking for!

Comment

Try one of these. Cut out the bottom of a 55 gallon drum. This unit will fit snugly in the bottom of the cannister. You of course have to attach legs to your feeder. This will allow you to build a quality protein feeder for a fraction of the cost of buying a full unit. I sell these for $75. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Comment

Protein feeders

These work real well, use a dinner plate approach, no tubes to worry with.
              I will build this type for $85. This is with one 55 gal barrel. Double barrel is $120. You pick them uphttp://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgAHD...60583557236665http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgCkD...60583467308003http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YQAJD...90660761741089
              If I can be of help, let me know.

Comment

feed trough out of wood?

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  How far is normal height for the feed tubes from the ground?
                  42 inches is what I had built mine for. Will also help keep the coons and smaller hogs out of it.

Comment

Thanks texas

Comment

Hey Lou just another use for good ole unistrut?
                      nice feeder droptine...

Comment

thats great thanks for the input

Comment

I made one just like louieagarcia has pictured. The flange that I used at the bottom of the barrel is threaded so that I can unscrew my downpipe whenever I go to move it. Ben Koerth at Whitetail Institute suggests about 42" above the ground to discourage coons.

Comment

My Latest Creation

I took the dinnerplate approach Droptine43 spoke about and combined it with one of my previous designs. The barrel is an odd size (25gal) and i couldnt find a lid for it. I luckily ran across an aluminum pizza pan that was the PERFECT diameter! After adding some few scrap pieces this is what I ended up with! Enjoy

Comment

Louie - I like the pizza pan lid. That's greatness!

Comment

Working...
                              X