No announcement yet.

Aransas 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosway Tyler thanks and I will let ya know. Its been un comfortable but a Blessing at the same time. The storm has given us the chance to build our dream home.

Comment

Most times gators avoid folks

Originally posted by CoswayTyler View Post
      Let me get your number, that way if I shoot a deer and he goes into the water you can go get it. Not saying I'm scared or anything, but if you and the gators are boys like that then there's no sense in me trying to make their aquatints! Lol
      Brother I just hope I don’t loose another deer to a gator . That really hurts me. I wonder how this could be so hard a hunt if there is no off road vehicles like airboats and hunt buggies . These deer don’t get chased around and the pressure from humans there is a significantly less than public lands back home . Guys , walk in on your set like a walk through the park without a care for others . Others run dogs . Texas , and its smallest population of deer are still far greater in numbers than any great spot back home . Especially in a national forest . What ever it is this place has far better odds than any public land I ever hunted back home . I know how blessed I am to hunt Aransas . I can’t wait. Good luck brother. If anyone needs help from me thy need just ask. God bless

Comment

Gentlemen, can anyone tell me what bio-degradable flagging looks like ? TP ? Or just plane ole paper ? This is a great concept but so forgien to me. I heard it was the only excptable method of marking trails ? How bout bread crumbs ? Lol All humor aside this is seriously a request for good solid input .

Comment

My blood brothers as Uncle Ted ,would say. If the humidity is as bad as the direct sun , I would like to share a jewel with y’all . I stay hydrated with NUUN tablets pronounced (noon). Will save you a lot of weight and trash bottles N such. They are flavored but have no sugar and all the electrolytes with minerals your body needs . There are a small tube filled with these water desolving tablets . They desolve like alkaselzrs ,so just bring your water bottle and drop in a tablet . Thank me later . These work for marathon runners and they will work for y’all. Whole Foods carries them. This is not a plug , it really works

Comment

We used to hunt there in high school many, many moons ago. Back when you could still camp along the road. I think it was way easier back then. Hogs were a give me as we passed a ton of them up after the second day. Deer were plentiful also. Never saw a ton of big bucks but a lot of decent ones were brought back to the check station.

Mosquitos? Heck you ain't seen skeeters like ANWR. There terrible. Snakes are there but if we are lucky enough to get a front during the hunt it will keep them at bay. Gators will still be there but I personally never saw a true monster in the hunt area although I know they are around. If you plan on using a thermacell in a pop up hope for wind. You will be choked out quickly.

We were on a budget back then so we just hunted the wind and hunted off 6' Camo spray painted fold out aluminum ladders. Really light and you can tuck them in the shortest oak motts that are all over the place. You can also climb some of the live oaks there. We hunted the same spots year after year and stuck a lot of deer. I recommend water proof snake boots or atleast some 18" water boots. Only takes a little rain to flood this area. Good luck to all this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonitas1306 View Post
              Gentlemen, can anyone tell me what bio-degradable flagging looks like ? TP ? Or just plane ole paper ? This is a great concept but so forgien to me. I heard it was the only excptable method of marking trails ? How bout bread crumbs ? Lol All humor aside this is seriously a request for good solid input .
              The bowhunting flagging must be white, they sell it there at the refuge. TP should work just as well I'm guessing.

Flagging is a complicating issue on the refuge. Some hunters flag the road for a half mile in both directions to mark their spot. Others flag a half dozen or more spots and only hunt one or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                The bowhunting flagging must be white, they sell it there at the refuge. TP should work just as well I'm guessing.

Flagging is a complicating issue on the refuge. Some hunters flag the road for a half mile in both directions to mark their spot. Others flag a half dozen or more spots and only hunt one or two.

This is a issue I have been thinking about. What do you do when you walk up and a area is flagged? I know for a fact that everyone isn't going to have pure intentions and only mark the area they are hunting. They refuge should have a rule in place that you can only "mark" two areas and your name has to be on the marking. The marking tape they sell at the refuge, could you write on it with a sharpie? If you can I think I'm going to take some that way I can mark on mine stating "ground blind 200 yards on right" or something along those lines. Don't really know if that would do any good.

Comment

Skeeters should be nice and healthy . Been getting some good rain down here all week .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                    Skeeters should be nice and healthy . Been getting some good rain down here all week .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lovely...

Comment

Hey y'all long time listener, first time caller. I drew this hunt this year and I am soooo glad that I found this thread. You guys are really dropping some good advise. I had no idea what to expect with this hunt.

I am bringing a blind and a ladder stand. I guess I am going to have to buy some snake boots. For sleeping arrangements, I have a truck bed tent that I usually use. Does anyone know any good places to park? I don't think I will be hunting very long. I might try and stay till Monday.

Anyone coming from the Austin area?

Comment

Aransas NWR. One of 3 NWR hunts I drew this year

I also drew the Aransas NWR Archery Deer Hunt. I'll be staying in Fulton, Tx at the family beach house. I grew up in Rockport and remember as a kid my mom would take me to the NWR to go see the animals etc. Its going to be so awesome to be able to hunt there. I pretreat using Permethrin for my clothing and gear, Picaridin lotion and spray for skeeters. This usually lasts a full day in the field. I have yet to use my thermacell. I'm guessing rubber boots are a must if it rains. Ill be scouting the day before the hunt to check out some spots I have my eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnSmithTX View Post
                          I also drew the Aransas NWR Archery Deer Hunt. I'll be staying in Fulton, Tx at the family beach house. I grew up in Rockport and remember as a kid my mom would take me to the NWR to go see the animals etc. Its going to be so awesome to be able to hunt there. I pretreat using Permethrin for my clothing and gear, Picaridin lotion and spray for skeeters. This usually lasts a full day in the field. I have yet to use my thermacell. I'm guessing rubber boots are a must if it rains. Ill be scouting the day before the hunt to check out some spots I have my eye on.
                          Thanks for the info in that picaridin I'm going to have to look into that. What brand permethrin do you use? I picked up some bens scent free permethrin to pre treat my clothes with. Fighting these bugs and still trying to somewhat play the scent control game is tough.

Comment

Tree saddle

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                            My thoughts as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            The saddle works on almost any tree. The smaller diameter trees work the best. The tree might not even be straight . I’m done with stands ! I also hunt from the ground and take most of the shots at game 6-30 yards . Depending on the cover and shooting lane . Think hunting turkey.

Comment

This is going to be a great hunt this year, looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Soooooooooooooo how's all this rain going to effect the hunt?

Comment

Working...
                                X