• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      Well, this morning was both the most exhilarating hunt of my life and the most heartbreaking hunt. I located a stud bull and after cow calling and raking a cedar, he came straight in to me. I opted to get a little closer and in a drainage that would put me in the perfect position. As soon as I got there I could see antler tips coming in over the cedars. I quickly preranged two bushes in what I thought his path was, threw the rangefinder down and got ready to draw. Very shortly after I could see him quartering to and at the last cedar before being completely in the open. I drew and like a perfect script he turns broadside and continues walking. I know he’s a little farther than the 50 yard cedar I ranged, and with my bottom pin at 55 I whistled and he stopped in what was the most perfect broadside shot I could ever dream of. I held a little high and let it rip, only to watch my arrow fall slightly under. Turns out he was at 70 and completely fooled me. Only the second day in my life elk hunting and I nearly sealed the deal on a brute. I learned to be more diligent in my preranging and a little more patient. Still have plenty of time and a lot of fight left in this guy!

I have to be the one to say it- get closer. A 55 yards shot is still a long shot (by western standards) up or downhill, bad footing, and your heart pounding.

The good news- no harm done, go do it again!

Comment

Bags are packed. We leave at first right for New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
          Heck yeah! Keep the pics coming!

I got up to 8,000 feet and there were prints everywhere- but no elk. It’s been warm in SW Montana, the rut and bugling are a couple weeks away.

I’ll be out again tomorrow in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            I have to be the one to say it- get closer. A 55 yards shot is still a long shot (by western standards) up or downhill, bad footing, and your heart pounding.

The good news- no harm done, go do it again!

I realized this. I wish I would have waited, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Comment

Good learning experience for your next shot opportunity. Keep after it!

Comment

The Elk Thread

I felt bad after posting that last night. Glad you took it as constructive. Now get back on ‘em!

Comment

Take some shots in camp, or around camp to get used to how distances look in the mountains. You all that practice only in your backyard need to get accustomed to shooting in other outdoor surroundings. Things just look different than your yard.

No wounded bull is a good thing so keep that range finder close and good luck rest of your hunt solocam !

Comment

I am leaving a week from today, I will be in unit 15 again this year. I talked to my buddy that lives there, he said water everywhere and so much grass, it looks like Scotland.

Comment

Heading west today for a midway stop and to grab my hunting partner then the rest of the way tomorrow morning. This is my first elk hunt and I’ve never felt more unprepared for a hunt. I don’t know if it’s anxiety or anticipation. I feel like I haven’t packed enough, worked out enough or shot enough even tho I think I have. Been waiting a while for this and I just don’t feel ready. But ready or not here I come New Mexico!

Comment

Dang yall making me jealous. Still have about 70 more days till I head north after both muleys and elk. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          Heading west today for a midway stop and to grab my hunting partner then the rest of the way tomorrow morning. This is my first elk hunt and I’ve never felt more unprepared for a hunt. I don’t know if it’s anxiety or anticipation. I feel like I haven’t packed enough, worked out enough or shot enough even tho I think I have. Been waiting a while for this and I just don’t feel ready. But ready or not here I come New Mexico!
                          Im less than two weeks out and this is exactly how I feel! Good luck to you.

Comment

I just got on the road west for the first leg of the trip and pick up a hunting partner moonstalker. Will finish on the way to New Mexico in the morning. start hunting Wednesday morning

Comment

Making some soup! My pot’s too small. Good luck out there!
                              Attached Files

Comment

The oval galvanized pots work well for elk.
                                Put some foil over the meaty part of the head not in the water, tuck it under the antler burr.

Comment

Working...
                                X