No announcement yet.

Scared of heights? Any cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be afraid of heights. About 20 years ago my driller made me go up in the Derrick to run pipe in the hole cause our regular Derrick hand got hurt. No wasn’t an option back then. Took about 30 stands but I got over it, and a Derrick job.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      No Chew - its bad. I get 5 feet away from an edge and she starts threatening. She goes condition black. Getting tired of getting kicked. Will try anything once this trip is over.
      My wife freaked out several times on the road to Denali. Don't take her there yet!

Comment

You can always try alcohol.

Comment

My wife and kid both have a few things they will just freak out about.

Our post freak out discussion may are usually around these core things

It’s okay to be afraid of stuff as long as you don’t let it stop you from doing things. You just have to understand what there is to be afraid of and the preventative measures we take to avoid those things

And if you are afraid the worst thing you can do is freak out and panic about it because then you will really get someone hurt by being panicked and irrational

Worked thru a few things with both. And my wife used to sit-up and worry about me all night when I had to travel or when we were moving because we’ve moved several times over the last few years. We just talk thru is and try to address.

Comment

No hope here, but I understand what you are going thru.

My wife freaked going up Pikes Peak. She kept telling at me to slow down. I was going 15mph. When we got to the top she was light headed, trouble breathing, etc. Come to find out it happens enough for there to be a staffed medical office at the top. She finally calmed down and was enjoying the shop at the top (still not outside) when they came over the PA and announced the mountain was closed due to high winds and we had to leave immediately. I could see the fear hit her. It's a real thing. I was so glad to get her off the mountain.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              My wife is the same. It has only gotten worse as she has gotten older. She will literally move to the center of the vehicle if the "cliff side" of the mountain is on her side when Im driving. And no way is she walking anywhere near the edge of a cliff.

Jennifer spent our drive across Independence Pass in Colorado with her head on the center console, eyes shut, crying. It was a 30 min drive to Vail. On the way back to Leadville, I had to take the long way of 3hrs rather than taking the pass again. Well, I could have taken the pass, but I’d Have been alone.

There is no cure. I’ve tried everything for my wife and it just ends with her crying and threatening to kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess I’m the one in my family that’s about half scared of heights. Hell, my wife wants to jump out of an airplane ! She wants to ride a zip line and has never let anything like that bother her. I don’t want anything to do with parachutes and zip lines, and have had to talk her out of both. We both love the mountains but I’ll admit to eyeballing that little cable on wooden posts that was supposed to keep you from tumbling down several hundred feet of very steep terrain. It wouldn’t have stopped a bicycle, much less a 6,000 lb. truck.

Comment

I do not drive the monster "fly overs any more" .............................

Comment

It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop.

Comment

Some folks are kinda scared of the unknown, that can be over come.true fear of heights no cure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X