Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right handed, left eye dominant archery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a patch for years until I got my first LH bow. Worked great and killed plenty of animals but I am much more comfortable shooting left handed now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I close my left eye and shoot with my right. Didn't realize it was a handicap.
      I cant close my left eye without closing both.....I guess that is the handicap.

it was either use an eye patch (hecks no) or shoot lefty.

Comment

Originally posted by sjaaaz View Post
        I cant close my left eye without closing both.....I guess that is the handicap.

it was either use an eye patch (hecks no) or shoot lefty.
        Gotcha. That is definitely a problem. But patches are the new sexy

Comment

I have the same issue. Let him shoot and bat left handed if he plays baseball and he will do better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If he always shoots with a sight and has an apature then he can shoot whatever side. Shoot a trad bow and he will not have a reference point and will be forced to adjust for yardage but also adjust left right at the same yardage because of his eye dominance and picking up the arrowhead and using it as a reference point.

Comment

Shoot with both eyes open is the key .

Comment

Sorry thought we were talking about guns. But the patch worked for my grandson.

Comment

Hoss you can’t do that crossed up. I have to shoot a pistol weekly or sometimes more to stay on top of my shooting. If I don’t I don’t get paid. Do the kid a favor and switch him up

Comment

Thanks for the replies. He plays tennis for the school and holds the racket with his right hand. Playing other sports with friends and family, he throws and bats right handed. His older brother is left handed, so I'm not opposed to letting him shoot a bow or do anything left handed. He doesn't have a problem closing either eye independently, and now, he's probably coordinated enough to shoot either handed. Think I'll let him give lefty a shot, I just wasn't sure how it would be for him since he's comfortable with the right handed setup. Teacher might not give him the option.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                      I am right handed and right eye dominant. But an interesting fact about eye dominance, particularly in women, is it can change. For about 3 years, I became co-dominant.
                      This is good info. I am co-dominant. For years I shot with my left eye shut. But I figured out that didn’t work in a dark blind so I started practicing with both eyes open. I can make either the pin or the target in focus but not both. I just got used to it and much prefer both eyes open now. A larger peep helped a lot.

Comment

Wow some of the responses. You can't shoot right handed with both eyes open if you are left eye dominant. Why do you think so many people close their left eye when shooting?

Yes it is better to keep both eyes open when shooting a shotgun. But, if you are right handed and left eye dominant, you have two choices. 1) squint or close your left eye. 2) learn to shoot left handed.

Comment

As a kid(5 years old) I could not hold my brothers daisy pump BB gun in my left hand so I held it in my right hand. Self taught shooting left handed and thus grew up left eye dominant shooting a rifle left handed...but everything else right handed.

I shoot a bow(compound) right handed(close left eye) and shoot handguns with right hand and use left eye.

tough call ... if he is "right handed" it may be difficult to shoot left handed. But it is worth a shot.

I would tell the teacher that he already shoots right handed...just to have all the info out there.

Comment

Right handed, left eye dominant archery?

I’m right handed, left eye dominant and I can’t close one eye. I wear an eyepatch to shoot.

Comment

Right handed and left eye dominant...I learned to shoot left handed with bow and rifle
                              Interesting I have a buddy that is equal dominance...he’s a lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I teach NASP through my PE class. I always have the right handed kids who are left eye dominate start with a left handed bow. After a little while I will let them try the right handed bow. They almost always go back to the left handed.

Comment

Working...
                                X